Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Upcomming announcement....  (Read 19879 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Upcomming announcement....
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2019, 04:06:00 am »

There's no fundamental format difference between cloud saves and regular saves.
Aren't they on a Steam cloud server somewhere?
How would you share them with someone on Classic?
(Have no idea how cloud saves work - genuinely interested)
I was fairly sure cloud saves are both local and on a steam, I'm probably wrong though.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2019, 04:16:58 am »

This announcement made me excited about DF in ways I haven't been for many years. I last played in 2011 but then grew tired with the user-hostility of the game, after its successors with better UI/UX came out - like Rimworld or Prison Architect. I just couldn't get back to the chore of playing Dwarf Fortress.

Now I'm again excited about the upcoming changes, and if Toady manages to do something not only with the graphics but also with the UI, it will be a little miracle. Go Dwarf Fortress!
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2019, 12:22:36 pm »

There's no fundamental format difference between cloud saves and regular saves.
Aren't they on a Steam cloud server somewhere?
How would you share them with someone on Classic?
(Have no idea how cloud saves work - genuinely interested)
I was fairly sure cloud saves are both local and on a steam, I'm probably wrong though.
You're right. You've got one copy somewhere on your hard drive. Then it's up to the developer to set what the cloud uploader looks for to save online.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2019, 12:51:34 pm »

This is a bit of an odd question, but is there any information about being able to turn off the tileset in the Steam version? I fully plan on buying said version, but since I played DF the past few years on ASCII graphics, I kind of grew attached to it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2019, 01:00:47 pm »

I haven't heard, but I'd expect the same configuration file options to allow you to turn graphics off.  I'm guessing the Steam version will probably just ship with a version of that file with the graphics turned on by default.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2019, 01:56:32 pm »

This is a bit of an odd question, but is there any information about being able to turn off the tileset in the Steam version? I fully plan on buying said version, but since I played DF the past few years on ASCII graphics, I kind of grew attached to it.
Per the Steam page, ASCII will be available.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2019, 06:14:41 pm »

I turned off cloud saves, but at least once in the past I didn't have any problem transferring them onto the computer I was using.

That said, cloud saves (is there any limit on the size or number?) might be useful as long as your internet connection speed permits them. Dwarf Fortress saves have a certain reputation regarding size, particularly with bigger worlds...
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2019, 09:45:45 pm »

I turned off cloud saves, but at least once in the past I didn't have any problem transferring them onto the computer I was using.

That said, cloud saves (is there any limit on the size or number?) might be useful as long as your internet connection speed permits them. Dwarf Fortress saves have a certain reputation regarding size, particularly with bigger worlds...
There's apparently a limit on size, so they're not sure if it's a good idea to enable them yet (Reddit Q&A, I think).

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2019, 10:02:40 pm »

There's apparently a limit on size, so they're not sure if it's a good idea to enable them yet (Reddit Q&A, I think).
From what I've seen, you usually have a 2GB cap per game that you have.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2019, 11:28:31 am »

I can just imagine it now: "You can buy the feature-limited version of the game, but if you want to access all the really cool stuff you have to download the free version!"

Quite a reversal from the usual P2W model. ;)
Not just that, it is theoretically no-fuss new player friendly.
Just needs to work with therapist and that other editor I forgot the name of.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2019, 01:25:12 pm »

Better grabbed from Steam than streamed via Google? Though I'd love to see an unexpectedly popular DF make mincemeat of the back-servers and virtual machines tasked to run it in the Google datacentres.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2019, 02:11:07 pm »

Per the Steam page, ASCII will be available.

Thanks for the confirmation!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2019, 02:53:21 pm »

From what I've seen, you usually have a 2GB cap per game that you have.

So this would be about 20 medium-large sized worlds. Notably, it's a bit hard to backup saves on the cloud system though.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2019, 02:56:31 pm »

You know, I was thinking about the whole "steam demands you update thing" and then thought why not do what minecraft is doing and put a launcher that lets you download new versions from somewhere as they become available, while also allowing you to play and even download old versions from that launcher

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2019, 04:06:30 pm »

You know, I was thinking about the whole "steam demands you update thing" and then thought why not do what minecraft is doing and put a launcher that lets you download new versions from somewhere as they become available, while also allowing you to play and even download old versions from that launcher

Steam has something like that:
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14