Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Upcomming announcement....  (Read 19851 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Upcomming announcement....
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2019, 11:59:30 am »

Honestly I'm nothing but happy. Steam means more players. More players means more donators. More donators means more support for the Toad.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2019, 12:20:44 pm »

REAL SHIT

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2019, 12:26:39 pm »

I like this a lot and it looks like a win-win-win approach. 

At least the way I view it is graphics and sounds are off-loaded to different track of development resource, while the game engine core remains for Tarn's focus. 

Steam is just another avenue for distribution.  From what I read in reddit, KitFox games is quite generous for taking on the publishing and marketing role at 20% Kitfox / 80% Bay12 (which is generous low for current publishing deals) only for Steam related sales. 

We here in Bay12 can still donate 100% and directly to Tarn. 

Has RimWorld reached 6-digit users yet for a narrow/shallow arc of DF?  The potential for DF for that that much more users will be a boost.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2019, 12:32:00 pm »

That was rather unexpected. Are there going to be UI enhancements in regard to convenience and usability? Anyway, I'm buying it.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2019, 12:42:04 pm »

Intruiging. I will make sure to buy the steam version as some extra support, even as I’ll likely continue playing the classic version. What really excites me though is the probable expansion of graphical modding support, and possibly even of sound/music.

It is a shame this will come so relatively soon after the community itself started unlocking those secrets, with Meph’s other tileset and Bitlands etc. I suppose it is the ”DFhack comes out the day before a new version” conundrum.

Oh, and I do want to note that in the third steam picture there’s goblins riding beak dogs. More importantly, these goblins riding beakdogs surpass the tile height, implying the new graphical engine will allow for graphical overlap and transparency. When I look at it more closely, so do the trees.

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2019, 01:29:06 pm »

Sorry for not telling anyone sooner, but I wasn't allowed to. :/

I love the direction you're taking with the new tileset! Love it! Love it!! Beautiful!
How much can you tell us about it? Did you, for instance, really get it to display tile overlap? And how?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2019, 01:54:16 pm »

Don't apologize for following an NDA or even just someone's friendly request not to share something just yet. Especially when they're playing you. :C
It was an NDA.

I wonder whether this will include a period of polish for the UI?
Are there going to be UI enhancements in regard to convenience and usability? Anyway, I'm buying it.
Yes, but not a major one. At least not planned atm.

It is a shame this will come so relatively soon after the community itself started unlocking those secrets, with Meph’s other tileset and Bitlands etc. I suppose it is the ”DFhack comes out the day before a new version” conundrum.
Tell me about it. I'm doing this twice now, and I can't even use my own assets I make for Steam Df in my own set. It's... weird. But I'll continue doing a free set for you crazy people too. :)

More importantly, these goblins riding beakdogs surpass the tile height, implying the new graphical engine will allow for graphical overlap and transparency.
Mock-ups! But both features are planned, with Toady being optimistic about the code changes. Transparency is already working, Mounts are wip.

It looks like they upped the tiles from 32x32 max to 64x64 max, which GREATLY opens doors for pixel artists like myself. It also looks like they fixed the "tile re-use" issues, or at least partially addressed them.  (EG, Tree Trunk and Pillar no longer share a tile, etc.)  This is exciting.  I would drop the 20$ just to be able to doodle on it.
Tiles are 32x32. Sprites might be larger. I think the largest we plan on doing is 64x96, but in theory you can go larger.

How much can you tell us about it? Did you, for instance, really get it to display tile overlap? And how?
I can tell you everything now, but I was told by dear KitfoxGames to not over-sell anything. So rather err on the side of caution when it comes to work-in-progress parts. We wouldn't want to say "yeah, X and Y are planned" and then they don't work out.

Tile overlap is fine, that is for sure.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2019, 02:00:12 pm »

Don't apologize for following an NDA or even just someone's friendly request not to share something just yet. Especially when they're playing you. :C
It was an NDA.

*sees typo* ARGH, I meant 'paying'! Shit. Anyway, don't apologize, you entered a contract and followed it faithfully.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2019, 02:13:42 pm »

I think this is fantastic news - I've always been shocked at how few people know about Dwarf Fortress, and then when you try to talk to people about it they just sort of...switch off because it's not something they can just do a single click buy on steam and have it all set up with a fancy interface.

As a recent example, I was talking to a (very, very nerdy) tech guy at work a few weeks back and he was saying he was massively into factorio and modded minecraft and he'd never heard of DF. Spoke to him about it and he was like 'nah not a fan of ASCII' and so tried to talk to him about the LNP and stuff and I could just seem him sort of glaze over - and that's coming from a guy who's very technically competent.

The only thing I'd suggest is that some of the more...particular issues which we've grown to understand here get sorted out before a steam release. Just things like the differences in how different UI screens work and the like. Nothing major, but there are a lot of things that we've grown accustomed too which may be seen as 'bugs' by non-believers.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

MrMotorhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2019, 02:15:35 pm »

I just saw the announcement and took a look at the screenshots for the mockup.  This looks incredible, I added it on my Steam wishlist.

Will there be any open beta prior to the Steam release?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2019, 02:27:25 pm »

Will DF moe to utf-8 to be able to have different tiles for different things on the map?

Aid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2019, 02:32:47 pm »

incredible news!but how will be realized forgotten and Titans?

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2019, 02:44:48 pm »

Has RimWorld reached 6-digit users yet for a narrow/shallow arc of DF?  The potential for DF for that that much more users will be a boost.

Rimworld has sold over a million copies.

https://ludeon.com/blog/2018/01/one-million-copies-sold/

I can't see DF selling a fraction of that unless the interface is comparable. Rimworld is LITERALLY like a combination of DF, DFHack and DTherapist in a single unified interface. I dream of DF being as user friendly.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2019, 03:02:15 pm »

That is amazing news! It definitly will bring more people to DF.

I wishlisted on Steam and will buy the very first day of release, for sure.

A nice-looking tileset, audio effects, refreshed UI - this is already enough to be very excited about. Even if nothing else is added or improved.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2019, 03:08:16 pm »

I like this idea, but I'm very worried support with be eventually dropped for the non-graphics version, and I'm also concerned about how mods will work
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14