Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Upcomming announcement....  (Read 19875 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Upcomming announcement....
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2019, 03:16:30 pm »

I like this idea, but I'm very worried support with be eventually dropped for the non-graphics version, and I'm also concerned about how mods will work
Don't be. The versions should be identical in all but the audio and image files.

incredible news!but how will be realized forgotten and Titans?
They are puzzles assembled from the fitting bodyparts.

Will there be any open beta prior to the Steam release?
I don't know.

Will DF moe to utf-8 to be able to have different tiles for different things on the map?
He, DF isn't even using ASCII in a sense. It's pictures of Ascii characters. So you can make pictures of utf-8 chars and copy them into your own tileset, sure.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2019, 03:18:03 pm »

I was mostly concerned with how steam would handle having nothing but text files to work with for mods

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2019, 03:32:40 pm »

Ok. I'll rephrase. Will the game have different symbols for different things? Now we have several overlappings

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2019, 03:35:44 pm »

I was mostly concerned with how steam would handle having nothing but text files to work with for mods
It'll work fine. All the mod author has to do is tell steam where each file goes in the file structure for the game. I've played more than a few games which relied on text files via workshop, and nothing has exploded (yet).
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2019, 03:37:51 pm »

This is nothing but a prelude to the death of Dwarf Fortress. Every developer who has pulled this has sold out, and before long the free version is missing major features and updates, sometimes delayed by months, sometimes not present at all, and eventually? It stops being updated all together. All of those excited in the moment will, in but a few years, know exactly what I'm talking about when it inevitably comes.

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2019, 03:45:12 pm »

This is nothing but a prelude to the death of Dwarf Fortress. Every developer who has pulled this has sold out, and before long the free version is missing major features and updates, sometimes delayed by months, sometimes not present at all, and eventually? It stops being updated all together. All of those excited in the moment will, in but a few years, know exactly what I'm talking about when it inevitably comes.
I doubt this, but it's still a valid concern. We're due for the "long wait" anyways, and that's not going to be a good thing to have happen after an initial release.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2019, 03:45:46 pm »

So just buy the paid version then, what's the problem?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2019, 03:47:00 pm »

I understand your concerns blind wolf and many games have gone that way before..
But is dwarf fortress like other games?  Are zach and tarn like other devs? For so many years they worked on donations only,which until recent yeas has really only provided subsistence
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2019, 04:18:25 pm »

Why should I have to with a game that was previously free? That's why it's called selling out.
I understand your concerns blind wolf and many games have gone that way before..
But is dwarf fortress like other games?  Are zach and tarn like other devs? For so many years they worked on donations only,which until recent yeas has really only provided subsistence
People like Tarn are actually far more susceptible to being taken advantage of by a greedy publisher. Naivety and good will are not to his benefit here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2019, 04:28:01 pm »

Why should I have to with a game that was previously free? That's why it's called selling out.

I can understand that, but buying simply solves your problem. If you're worried about getting updates and getting them first, I think it's easier (and fair) to pay once and receive updates for years. And with DF there's no worry about developers taking money and stopping development after some time as it happens often.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2019, 04:38:10 pm »

Unreal World. Which is exactly none of what you say.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2019, 04:39:36 pm »

I can understand that, but buying simply solves your problem. If you're worried about getting updates and getting them first, I think it's easier (and fair) to pay once and receive updates for years. And with DF there's no worry about developers taking money and stopping development after some time as it happens often.
A lot of problems have intolerable/unfair solutions, so called, but that does not make them above criticism, or a good thing, because they exist. You may think it's fair, but that's not how DF has been done for its entire life up until now. After this, it's just going to be a product, beholden to the will of customers and Kitfox, not a passion project. All of us who have played it before now, for well over a decade, will effectively be spit on when inevitably the free version ceases to be updated.
Unreal World. Which is exactly none of what you say.
It's been many years since I touched Unreal World, but it works as a demo with many features locked behind paying money. That I remember. How exactly is that a positive?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2019, 04:50:28 pm »

Blind Wolf, while I don't know everything, the way I read the announcement is this: the game code will be the same, with just a steam exclusive tileset and mod workshop support. They are going to upgrade the base code, and the community will be able to creste their own fancy graphics.

I hope we also get sounds, yis. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2019, 04:53:25 pm »

Does anyone know what the "V - Visualize" key does in the steam screenshot of the new ui?

David Holmes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2019, 04:56:14 pm »

A lot of problems have intolerable/unfair solutions, so called, but that does not make them above criticism, or a good thing, because they exist. You may think it's fair, but that's not how DF has been done for its entire life up until now. After this, it's just going to be a product, beholden to the will of customers and Kitfox, not a passion project. All of us who have played it before now, for well over a decade, will effectively be spit on when inevitably the free version ceases to be updated.

Even if it did turn into a product, there's nothing wrong with that.  We are not entitled to the labor of others for free, no matter how much we've grown accustomed to it.  That's an unreasonable expectation.

The only reason there would be any problem would be if the "free" players donated money and had an expectation of indefinite future development on their terms in exchange for their "donation".  It would be unfortunate if donors expected that, but that's also an unreasonable expectation.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14