Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Upcomming announcement....  (Read 19598 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Upcomming announcement....
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2019, 10:29:01 am »

I kinda wonder if people who've been donating for years will get steam keys.

I like the sound of the steam version... but I'd probably feel a bit miffed to re-pay when I've donated a few hundred to DF development over the years.

I'm curious about this too, and exactly how the two versions will be kept in sync.  If it's just a matter of a built in tileset then that's not much for Toady to maintain, but it sounds like there was more to the graphics changes.  I know there's at least one video floating around but I'm at work and can't watch it yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2019, 10:37:00 am »

Video shows no graphics changes.

When the Steam version is released, people that choose to pick it up will get the new graphical tiles, new music and audio, as well as Steam Workshop integration.  The people that stick with Dwarf Fortress Classic will still get all of the upcoming Dwarf Fortress features as we add them, and modders will also be able to utilize the new graphical capabilities you can see above in their own creations.

Modders will be able to make their own graphics sets, 'new graphical tiles and audio' will be for steam version. No idea if sound will be moddable.

Like, I think the steam workshop is the extend of how far the code differs between the two versions. It's kinda a pain to maintain multiple codebases, so for a teensy team like this one, I don't think we'll see too much difference at all.

I guess what surprises me most about this is that the argument has always been 'well, having no graphics makes it easier to deal with generated stuff like forgotten beasts', but I guess they're gonna look for an answer on that one now :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2019, 10:53:28 am »

Think I'll stick with the free version, but this is an interesting development nevertheless. Will certainly bring about changes to the DF community, for good or ill.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2019, 10:53:41 am »

It's a joke, i think

EDIT : shit, it's NOT a joke.

EDIT BIS : Why is Kitfox games announcing that and not Toady himself ?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:55:50 am by Inarius »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2019, 10:56:11 am »

Hmm...dunno. Not April 1st, and seems like a pretty elaborate joke. I checked, and there is a Dwarf Fortress page on the Steam store now.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2019, 10:56:59 am »

"The free version will always be updated but the "enhanced edition" has some additional features like 1080p graphics, new music, etc. " ? Where have you seen this BTW ?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2019, 10:58:27 am »

I guess what surprises me most about this is that the argument has always been 'well, having no graphics makes it easier to deal with generated stuff like forgotten beasts', but I guess they're gonna look for an answer on that one now :)

Well the graphics now has additional people who have master+ level skills in both graphics and coding, so, "challenge accepted".

Funnily enough, it says on steam this version has a requirement for 1GB+ of VRAM. Not that it's unreasonable to ask, but this game wasn't known for being graphics-heavy... maybe it's to do with the higher resolution?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2019, 10:59:21 am »

This is super exciting! I've already donated a few times before, but I aim to get the steam and itch versions as gift copies for friends, and further draw more people into the wonderful sticky mass that is DF..!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2019, 10:59:39 am »

EDIT BIS : Why is Kitfox games announcing that and not Toady himself ?
They're functioning as a publisher, so the Adamses don't have to engage with the bureaucracy involved.

Tarn and Zach wanted more people to know about Dwarf Fortress, and didn’t want to spend a lot of time dealing with Steam and journalists and so on. They want to make video games, including more Dwarf Fortress, and not be hassled with selling and negotiating and so on. So Kitfox is acting as a publisher to help with marketing, Steam/itch.io logistics, and paying for other needs like artist contracts, music, PAX booths, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/b0mzog/official_announcement_dwarf_fortress_is_coming_to/

"The free version will always be updated but the "enhanced edition" has some additional features like 1080p graphics, new music, etc. " ? Where have you seen this BTW ?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/25343688
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2019, 11:00:26 am »

The FAQ linked in the posts.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2019, 11:01:04 am »

This is a big shock i must admit.
I just hope Toady knows what's he doing.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2019, 11:02:31 am »

So yeah, I guess in the end this really won't change the game in any substantial way aside from bringing in new players to the community (basically a win-win, as far as I'm concerned).

It's a shock to be sure, but IMO a welcome one.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:05:04 am by PlumpHelmetMan »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 11:14:51 am »

Sorry for not telling anyone sooner, but I wasn't allowed to. :/

'well, having no graphics makes it easier to deal with generated stuff like forgotten beasts', but I guess they're gonna look for an answer on that one now :)
We are. Hopefully. It's tricky. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 11:17:34 am »

Don't apologize for following an NDA or even just someone's friendly request not to share something just yet. Especially when they're paying you. :C

Godspeed Meph (and Mike)!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:57:54 pm by therahedwig »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2019, 11:36:13 am »

The steam page has some screenshots that suggest a cleaner implementation of the UI, (aesthetically), but skill keeping the byzantine key sequences, for those of us who have them in muscle memory.

Mostly I am looking forward to seeing if the tile pack can be modded.  It looks like they upped the tiles from 32x32 max to 64x64 max, which GREATLY opens doors for pixel artists like myself. It also looks like they fixed the "tile re-use" issues, or at least partially addressed them.  (EG, Tree Trunk and Pillar no longer share a tile, etc.)  This is exciting.  I would drop the 20$ just to be able to doodle on it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14