Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: ASCII-based game about sailing ships.  (Read 7830 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII-based game about sailing ships.
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2018, 01:01:13 am »

That's exactly the plan, except there is another role, the most important: merchant. Player can choose trading between ports as his first-priority activity. Pirates are raiding trade routs (which I am also going to create explicitly), and this is another option for a player as well (with some obvious drawbacks). Or the player can be a mercenary that raids pirate ships and bases and protects other traders. Later I may add conflicts between civilizations, with full-scale naval warfare campaigns.

Producing, consuming and trading of all goods (derived from already existing resources) - this is the core of civilizations system, and what I am going to work on next. Later on that I will build prices and trade routes between civilizations.

Sounds like you have big plans. I like that :D

I like all of what I just read, I can't wait to see where this game goes.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Foo, bar, quux, baz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 10:35:40 pm »

Looks very interesting (and beautiful curses graphics.) I'm a Python hobbyist, so interested on that count as well.

EDIT: My copy (the Windows binary) starts up with:

Code: [Select]
OMP: Warning #178: Function GetModuleHandleEx failed:
OMP: System error #126: The specified module could not be found.

But then the game window itself loads and works fine. Apparently it got around that somehow.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:44:16 pm by Eschar »
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2018, 08:02:46 pm »

Looks very interesting (and beautiful curses graphics.) I'm a Python hobbyist, so interested on that count as well.

EDIT: My copy (the Windows binary) starts up with:

Code: [Select]
OMP: Warning #178: Function GetModuleHandleEx failed:
OMP: System error #126: The specified module could not be found.

But then the game window itself loads and works fine. Apparently it got around that somehow.

Yeah I also have the same strings in binary. Since it doesn't seem to affect the game in any sense, I just ignored it. It is likely some artifact that py2exe brings, but I was too lazy to dig deeper.

If anyone knows by chance, what it can be and how to fix, let me know.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:07:51 pm by hun »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Foo, bar, quux, baz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2018, 01:22:21 pm »

Eschar gestures! The thread shudders and begins to move!

Any more on the project?
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2019, 05:21:47 pm »

Finally found time and motivation to continue coding last a couple of weeks!

Not too much to be proud about though.

1) In the worldgen module - rivers and lakes! I was supposed to continue developing civilizations, but somehow got excited about idea of adding freshwater for a nicer-looking islands. It is not dead effort anyway - I hope that eventually rivers might play quite significant role in the gameplay - trading trough rivers were historically very important! Rivers and lakes also spread moisture and can potentially shift biomes around them, making islands with freshwater more diversified and attractive for civilizations. I also reworked some of the old worldgen code, most notably for the elevations map.
2) Interface changes in both modes. I totally removed mouse support (it was almost non-existent anyway), updated help, changed some of the key-bindings.
3) Some minor bug fixes.

Now the plan is to work hard on civilizations! They must develop, consume resources, gather resources, build new villages, trade -- I want to build quite deeply-simulated economics.

Spoiler: Rivers! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: And lakes! (click to show/hide)

PS. Funny, almost exactly a year since the last my post... Hope it is a good sign, and such long break periods will never occur in future!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 05:24:09 pm by hun »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2019, 12:29:50 pm »

The boarding has me really interested, it's simple but it already has more depth than any boarding in games I can think of.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2019, 06:34:08 am »

Looks really neat and unique. Keep it going :)
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2019, 11:43:59 am »

Looks neat, looking forward to see this grow.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]