Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm  (Read 47688 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2019, 02:21:35 pm »

You... you set the animals on fire? Those were for butchering! Whyyy  :-*

Ah well. Good job keeping the fort more or less in one piece, at any rate!

SQman is ecstatic. I'm convinced this is due to his ongoing refusal to wear pants.
I nominate this for the Quotes section
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2019, 02:24:01 pm »

Ah well. Good job keeping the fort more or less in one piece, at any rate!
Should have just used a metal spike and set up a butcher nearby.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 27, 2019, 06:03:42 pm »

It’s alive. The fort as in, not like 50% of our food source. Or in fact 50% of the total people who’ve lived here. 50%+ of everything that’s ever been alive here is probably dead now to be honest, not counting the dead plants, but the Fort is technically still alive. So that counts for something. Something probabaly not good, but aomething nevertheless.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 27, 2019, 08:54:03 pm »

Should have just used a metal spike and set up a butcher nearby.

It was a bit of a dilemma. The animals created a severe drag on the FPS that was especially bad when giant birds showed up. Butchering created problems with the resulting item sprawl. There was too much meat/fat/bone/hair to deal with before (or after) it rotted. Even a single butcher created items more quickly than they could be hauled off. So I couldn't (and didn't want to) keep them, couldn't kill them. Magma solved the problem.

I did keep some cows, pigs, tigers, and cats. Oh, and the pets and war animals are still around.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 28, 2019, 10:09:19 am »

I've been looking over the current save and am trying to figure out how 4/7 magma made its way to the cheese slice level without any discernable signs of track or piston. What am I missing here?

Also, is it legit to clear glass over the animal pastures?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:42:41 am by Radipon »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 28, 2019, 03:37:26 pm »

Clear glass certainly is. It probably hasn't been done because of the amount of time and materials it'd take.

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2019, 06:07:30 pm »

I've been looking over the current save and am trying to figure out how 4/7 magma made its way to the cheese slice level without any discernable signs of track or piston. What am I missing here?

Iron minecarts and a liquid smasher:
A minecart immersed in 7/7 liquid will pick up 2/7 liquid, which can then be dumped out at a trackstop with a dump direction specified. I dug out a channel, put some minecarts in it, flooded it with magma, then used a floodgate to atomsmash the extra liquid in the channel. The minecarts can be hauled off as soon as the last 1/1 of magma evaporates. Minecarts will be hauled to a furniture stockpile after being unassigned from a route. The old forge section is visible under the F6 hotkey. The channel is here:
Code: [Select]
[DFHack]# position
Place:
    The z-level is z=11
    The cursor is at x=88, y=97

The minecart furniture stockpile is here:
[DFHack]# position
Place:
    The z-level is z=135
    The cursor is at x=106, y=80

Unfortunately, the levers are occasionally toppled by tantrums. Only the outer floodgate currently works. It is in the mayor's office. And... there's no note for it? I'll update the save to fix that.
[DFHack]# position
Place:
    The z-level is z=135
    The cursor is at x=75, y=87

Edit: I've updated the posted save w/ the missing notes.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/download.php?id=14479&f=Cheeseplatter_Winter257_v2.zip
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 06:22:30 pm by fortunawhisk »

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2019, 08:32:47 am »

Cool. I played out a season and have the screenshots for it saved. Waiting for the OK before I go any further.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 29, 2019, 09:12:30 am »

The turnlist around here has deteriorated to the point that we're just happy if anyone is playing. I'd say go for it.

klonk
Sigtext

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 29, 2019, 10:57:26 am »

257-10-01
The wretched outdoors with its... sun and... rain and.. invaders, have put a massive dent in the morale of our fort. In taking up its helm, I've already noticed a number of projects underway to combat the morale problem from boths ends.

Sanctume's cheese slice addresses the problems up high, providing the groundwork to move our crops out of the horrid rain. Meanwhile from below, spacious common residences are being carved out and chiseled up by a crack team of skilled engravers. In the interim, the most far gone have been isolated from the public; their prospects are grim at best.

My first step was to prepare the cheese slice for complete irrigation. Construction work was designated to guide aquifer water across the soon-to-be fields along with locking safety doors and hatches to keep the rest of the fort from getting overly muddied in the process.

257-10-05

The Elves visited and they brought us gifts of war animal meat. I sent the militia to thank them appropriately.

(I was wondering why the FPS was so gutted; turns out they were already sneaking on the map when I loaded)

257-10-12

Despite the invasion, it didn't take long for the flooring, doors, and hatches to be constructed and irrigation commenced. The aquifer water pressure was low and it would take a couple months for the entire slice to be covered.

257-12-21

A little over two months later, the gore left by the elves has been cleaned up and irrigation is finished. Crops have been moved onto the cheese slice proper. Kitchens, stills, and the farmer workshop were moved in turn.

258-1-10

Our previous potash maker had career-changed to engraving and no one ever took his place. Two candidates were selected for potash and lye making duty, one of whom was falling into depression and complaining of lack of activity.

258-1-13

A fire-breathing forgotten beast in the third cavern was continuing its rampage. Wafts of forest fire smoke and the faint rumble of collapsed trees were out of sight, but not out of mind.

258-1-28

A "Metalcrafter" went berserk today.

Luckily he wasn't the good one. In spite of that, the morale situation is showing a steady recovery.

Before:
After:

Another batch of clear glass blocks have been ordered up to put a roof over the animal pens.

(I know they aren't strictly required for pastures, but it just looks nice alright?)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 29, 2019, 11:00:31 am »

Is that... blood... covering the Cheese Slice?  :o

klonk
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 29, 2019, 11:11:29 am »

The Elves visited and they brought us gifts of war animal meat. I sent the militia to thank them appropriately.

This phrase filled my dead self with much pride and joy. Because it means Battlejudge shall not be alone in being drowned in war animal meat and bones. What'd they bring? Tigers? Mandrills? All I keep getting are horses, bears, and unicorns with elephants mixed in here and there, and that's between 3 different enemy civs.

Also, there was mention of lye... I hadn't thought much on it, because I keep people outside the militia away from spattered if I can, but soapy baths would do a world of good for everyone here I would think.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 29, 2019, 11:12:31 am »

Also, there was mention of lye... I hadn't thought much on it, because I keep people outside the militia away from spattered if I can, but soapy baths would do a world of good for everyone here I would think.
We need to get PsychoAngel in here or something.

klonk
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 29, 2019, 11:27:56 am »

We need to get PsychoAngel in here or something.

It got too big before I could really get into it, but that guy was the deranged soaper in Doomforests wasn't he? A made soaper would probably be pretty handy to do something with that lye.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 29, 2019, 12:08:34 pm »

Is that... blood... covering the Cheese Slice?  :o

Nah, just mud.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22