Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm  (Read 47705 times)

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2019, 12:48:42 pm »

258-02-01

Gone about naming and trimming all the activity zones. Meet our new tavern:

Dobar, the broke spine brewer, got a new job as its tavern keeper. I figured the social contact would do him some good and his bouts of stumbling obliviously wouldn't prevent anyone from helping themselves. Additionally, all the existing temples were given spaces in the adjoining rooms.

258-02-22

Unfortunately he would stay forgotten, as the second cavern was walled off. Speaking of which, the first cavern breach point was still open to flyers, so it was walled off as well.

258-03-19
The instruments installed in the tavern are seeing regular use when they aren't being toppled.

Paved roads up top were about patched up.

And the residential quarters were being furnished with cabinets. Smoothing and engraving continue along.

And I... I made yak soap.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2019, 01:04:13 pm »

What'd they bring? Tigers? Mandrills? All I keep getting are horses, bears, and unicorns with elephants mixed in here and there, and that's between 3 different enemy civs.

Also, there was mention of lye... I hadn't thought much on it, because I keep people outside the militia away from spattered if I can, but soapy baths would do a world of good for everyone here I would think.

Bobcats, tigers, and mandrills. Soap was definitely on my bucket list and there is a well with the stockpile set up but it's tucked behind the hospital so I'm debating whether to source another well that's closer to the beaten path.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2019, 01:09:22 pm »

Certainly couldn't hurt, any little convenience or luxury is needed.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 30, 2019, 03:45:28 pm »

258-04-01

The aquifer had been bent to our purposes, but I was not done yet.

And as soon as that had been plotted out, a soldier started to feel a bit fey.

He claimed the bowyer's shop and set about collecting a smorgasbord.

Meanwhilst, the newly made soap was making its way to the well room.

258-04-10

Zefon's mad work is complete:

Trees are starting to grow on the cheese slice. An unexpected side-effect of having so much ceiling space on the cheese slice.

Zimesh was busy cleaning the caverns of all life.

258-04-14

The Human caravan arrived. They only brought two wagons.

258-04-20

The trade goods were still being hauled up when this guy rolled through our gate.

So I finialized what I could.

And sicced the militia.

Imic the miner had strayed into the beast's path, making him the creature's first target. But the caravan guards were already laying into the creature with crossbow fire, and this distraction gave him a chance to knock Odda down. However, the Werebuffalo still had plenty of fight left, and managed to get some juicy bites on Imic and another farmer before succumbing to a sweaty mass of angry hauler fists.

258-04-23

While I was busy quarantining the bitten, an Ettin approached from the northeast. He spent about two days chasing down a water buffalo and wound up at the western gate, where the caravan guards and militia proceeded to mince him.

258-04-26

The hastily reconfigured hospital was proving to be a mess after the broker squeezed into the quarantine room moments before the wall was finished.

After breaking him out and sealing the potential werebuffalo in, another problem reared its head. The merchants, dissatisfied with our Werebeast+Ettin delivery service, were no longer interested in trading.

258-05-10

Dobar the Broke Spine Barkeep was having some relapses in his rehab.

258-05-17

Imic and Melbil were lost to us. They now live inside the walls behind the hospital, providing an ambiance of soothing grunts to any who linger in its beds.

258-06-14

The first phase of a new public bath is complete. Aquifer water tapped from above the cheese slice's northern face would drop through a series of a grates into a drainage canal that leads off map. Wells could tap into the canal downstream.

Also, this guy started haunting our fields. A slab was in the works to put it down for good.

258-06-15

A legendary grower had apparently been trapped in the werebuffalo pen. More surprisingly, he didn't get mauled during either of the prior full moons and is only now showing signs of dehydration and starving.

258-06-22

More trees have popped up on the slice, and a bathing well with scenic waterfall is ready for use.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 30, 2019, 04:23:55 pm »

Clearly werebuffalos have sight-based vision.

Also, pretty neat to have captive trees. Any fruit bearing ones could even be used! In supplying the deep holds, however entitled they may be, this place tames nature utterly.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 30, 2019, 04:35:35 pm »

I'm just happy to see my faffing-about-with-glass actually came out kinda-sorta useful.  :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 30, 2019, 04:36:30 pm »

258-07-05

Autumn has rolled around, and with it, Elves.

This time they brought even more war animal meat, and some "skilled" fighters to boot, about 5 pages of attackers. This was a little more than a 7-strong militia could handle in one go, so I had the bridge raised to cordon off the shock troops.

The gates were opened a second time, and another wave tried its luck. This group had their stronger fighters and casualties were had.

The invaders were driven off, though at no small cost.

(The spearmaster was using a battle axe, and even though I went out of the way to set his equipment to spears, he never wanted to pick up any of the umpty accessible spears. Anyway, I went through the militia again and reinstated some of the now-unstressed legendary axe and hammer dwarves.)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 30, 2019, 04:38:42 pm »

So our military is down to... three?  :o

klonk
Sigtext

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 30, 2019, 04:41:35 pm »

Clearly werebuffalos have sight-based vision.

Also, pretty neat to have captive trees. Any fruit bearing ones could even be used! In supplying the deep holds, however entitled they may be, this place tames nature utterly.

Cherry, Candlenut, and Tea Tree. Funny thing is that for all the elf gore, stress is still settling down. I'm not sure if it's the zen garden project or just that everyone is completely numbed at this point. There were no migrants so just about everyone has been around the murder road repeatedly.

So our military is down to... three?  :o

5-ish.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 30, 2019, 04:52:09 pm »

It suddenly occurs to me. Remember when QuQuasar mentioned the use of natural selection? Remember how he said he was joking?
We did it anyway. Only instead of having a hammerer kill the troublemakers, we just waited for 'em to go insane and then either killed 'em or let 'em die of thirst...  ::)

Ahem. Anyhoo. You might want to consider another mass draft, if our military's that low right now.
Alternatively, flood the landscape with magma. That would work too.
Or do both. Both is good.

klonk
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 30, 2019, 04:56:56 pm »

The main concern with a militia that small is exhaustion in battle. A single dwarf weapon lord with a sledgehammer is worth twenty elves, but the twenty-first will be the one that kills him, and that assuming they don't have meat shield animals.

What's the population looking like? I might loath marksdwarves personally, but sticking half in marksdwarf units and half in melee squads would kill three birds with one stone: Martial training need fulfillment, expanding the militia, and making sure everyone in the fort can defend themselves at the drop of a hat (hell, even having half the population armed generally ensures there's at least a couple armed and armored people around when trouble happens.)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 30, 2019, 05:24:14 pm »

Someday I'd like to try and throw together an all-vampire militia in one of my forts. All the stopping power of mundane legendaries, but they'd never, ever tire!

klonk
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 30, 2019, 05:31:10 pm »

I dunno if that'd be worth it. They miss out on important destressors what with not being able to force feed them or needing sleep. I mean we could make a werebuffalo militia team now, but that wouldn't be worth it either because of the whole "KILL EVERYONE THAT ISN'T WEREFALLOS" thing.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 30, 2019, 05:37:48 pm »

I recall LoudWhispers was able to rig up a few weresoldiers in his "Ravens are murder" fort... he'd use 'em while they weren't transformed. They'd fight huge horrible monsters and get terribly mangled in the process, then heal up fresh on the full moon. Seems like you could have a useful breed of expendable elites, with a bit of micromanaging.

klonk
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 30, 2019, 05:59:18 pm »

That sounds so remarkably unpleasant and yet so dwarfy.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22