Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm  (Read 47744 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2019, 07:01:23 pm »

Chapter 4: A Fall in Cheesesplatter

Music: The Storm And The Bounty

Autumn, 251.

Empires rise and fall.  Those who wield power eternally will lose their selves along the way.  I can only hope I leave my mark of achievements here in Cheeseplatter.  As I prepare to leave this power behind for whomever wants to take upon the mantle of overseer, I focus on my remaining task to complete this season.

--
Trade Report.
10th to 19th Limestone, 251.

Orders: Delivery of Food and Drink to the Mountainhome.
Courrier: Irolubid, Corp., a dwarven transport company.

Threat: no hostile fliers, but there is rain.

Transaction Summary.
Drinks: 620 units (5161 ☼)
In exchange, the mountainhome provided some gems, glass, waterskins, empty barrels, buckets, a steel helm and steel gauntlets.

Food: 216 units (25946 ☼) no offer included.
Cheesesplatter received instruments, other steel items, library items, quivers, backpacks, anvils, sand bags, bins of cloth and leather.

Trade Officer: ‘Lordy’ conducted the trade, witnessed by Commander Sanctume. An affidavit is signed to vouch for the truth and accuracy of this trade report.
--
--
Commander Report.

The first ten militia squads are setup.

The Crystalline Permanencies, Commander Sanctume’s squad. 
Reserved for last line of defense of Cheeseplatter.

Civilian Squad 1. Chef Quasar’s squad.
Reserved for valuable members of Cheeseplatter.

Spears of Destiny squad for spear training.
Lavish Choppers squad for axe training.
Mace Winds squad for mace training.
Hammer Thyme squad for war hammer training.
Cheese Slicers squad for sword training.
Cheese Watchers squad for crossbow training.
Corpse Duty for cleanup, continued discipline training.

Boot Camp squad for initial unarmed and discipline training.
Set “0” as pre-Designation for Boot Camp.
45 MSGT Kel, Boot Camp MSGT (Master Sergeant).
23 0XF Asmel, candidate for corpse duty
39 0XA Geshud, candidate for corpse duty
28 0XA Thob Z, candidate for corpse duty
30 0XS Deler, candidate for corpse duty
35 0WF Erith, candidate for Captain of Crossbows post boot camp.
48 0S Solon, recruit post boot camp.
44 0S Ubid, recruit post boot camp.
42 0HA Likot, candidate for combat medic
22 0FS Onol, recruit post boot camp.

Scheduled: Two soldiers Train x5, begins immediately.

--
Social Report.
19th of Limestone, 251.
Spoiler: congratulations (click to show/hide)

--
Incident Report.

Report #1.
10th to 11th Sandstone, 251.

So the reinforcements that arrived yesterday happens to be a delegation from the Mountainhome. 

We are now the Village of Cheesesplatter, and heavily influenced by politics because an election is held, and the new mayor who won the election arrived yesterday.

Individual #47, male 53, is into arts, and likes Battle Axe.
He seems to be a decent fellow, but Quasar disagrees.

If my reports are to be believed, He is tough but weak.  He’s also into smut, and my fellow leech lover.  I’m not sure about he liking morons for their tentacles.  And, does he really hate beer? 
Spoiler: I smell fake news. (click to show/hide)
Since the conference room #2 is unoccupied, it is now the Mayor’s residence.
This is how the conference rooms are setup.
Spoiler: conference rooms (click to show/hide)

Report #2.
19th Sandstone, 251.

There was a minor collapse of old construction logs on the surface.  Some kid got hurt.  Since
I will not be needing conference room #1 anymore, removing the extra cabinets, chests, and chairs, converts it into a health clinic.

Build a hasty well on the surface, but with fresh filtered rain water and draining system.

Report #3.
15th Timber, 251.

Individual #47 (the mayor) has been possessed!  This is a very suspicious behavior because it is a subtle way to get out of an all-hands mandate by the Commander.

Individual #47 claims a metalsmith’s forge, and wants metal bars, and stones…

(Incident Report #3 to be continued, see attachment Report #5.)

--
Report #4.
18th Timber, 251, Late Autumn.
Music: Heigh -Ho

The Cyclops Ral Kodoredem has come!

Spoiler: Cyclops Ral (click to show/hide)
Fortunately, operation mass dump is completed. 

Activate “Safety Inside” burrow.

All military muster to south inside.

Oh ill-fated fortune, the mayor grabbed a gem at Bottom Dump, but we need to lock Cheese Slice Tower.  I hope he does not go insane until this incident is handled.

--
Ok, Cheese Slice Tower is locked.

Individual #16 SM Thob (a miner) is outside and needs to make a run for it through the South Bridge.

But Cyclops Ral is on pursuit.

--
Well, 3 miners are near each other outside the South Gate. 

Quickly form a squad, The Cobalt Worshippers, and see if they maneuver a defensive formation. 
Captain Splint (Miner+20), #16 SM Thob (Miner+15), and #24 MM Endok (Miner+15) are in the immediate area.

Add the more experienced miners to reinforce The Cobalt Worshippers:
#40 MS Atir, Miner+12
#27 FF Olon, Miner+12
#21 Mn Dobar, Miner+11
#14 HS Dishmab, Miner+11
#25 FA Melbil, Miner+8

Might as well unlock the Cheese Slice Tower as Captain 'Zuglarkun' is there.

The Rest of the squads except Civilian 1, order to kill.

--
Thob sensed a hulking presence just looming just behind, so he stopped running, turns around and strikes Cyclops Ral in the upper arm.  The bronze pick has lodged firmly in the wound!

Ral strikes Thob in the right hand with “Thepayiro Maserelinu”, bruising muscles.

Thob pulls on the bronze pick and gains possession.
Thob strikes the right lower leg, fracturing bone. 

Cyclops Ral falls over.

The next couple of strikes were blocked by the Thepayiro Maserelinu, and parried. 

Thob targets the other leg, and chips bones and tears muscles.  Again, the bronze pick embeds on the left hip of Ral.

Thob steps closer and gains possession of the pick, but Ral punches Thob’s right foot and it collapses into a lump of gore, artery opens, the right ankle bends, shattering bone and tearing ligaments.

Thob manages to strike at the left lower legs, tearing muscles as he falls over!

--
#24 MM Endok witnesses the exchange between the Cyclops and Thob.  He sprints up the small hill and strikes Ral in the left lower body with a bismuth bronze pick, tearing muscles and guts, and opening an artery. 

Cyclops Ral looks sick.

While Thob and Ral are on the ground, Thob strikes Ral on the left upper arm--chipping bones and fracturing the left shoulder bone. 

Ral swipes blindly about missing Thob and the new comer, Splint. 

Splint strikes Ral in the left lower leg with her bronze pick, fracturing the knee bone. 

Ral strikes at Splint again and misses. 

As practiced miners who toil together, instinct moves Endok and Splint in uncommunicated movements.  Endok strike the left arm, and Splint strikes the right arm.  The synchronized attack damaged both left and right arms.  Cyclops Ral loses hold of Thepayiro Maserelinu, gives in to pain, and retches. 

And as if the unheard music of battle matches the fast bear of the heart, Thob joins the dance. 

Splint strikes at the head. 
Endok strikes at the head. 
Thob strikes at the head. 
--
Splint strikes at the head. 
Endok strikes at the head. 
The injured part is cloven asunder!

Spoiler: battle log (click to show/hide)

This Thepayiro Maserelinu lays on the ground, it is a papaya wood shield.

It might go nicely when added to the display case in the tavern.

--
Post Battle
Spoiler: Sanctume Saves Thob (click to show/hide)

Report #5 attachment to Report #3.
20th Timber, 251, Late Autumn.

--
The Cheese Slice Project - Progress Report.

1st of Limestone, 251. Construction crew: The sealing of the aquifer is almost complete.
Spoiler: sealing aquifer (click to show/hide)
3rd of Limestone, 251. Construction crew: Road removal and channeling the Cheese Slice perimeter begins on the surface.

7th Sandstone, 251. Mechanic crew: The supports are constructed and being linked to the lever.
Mining crew: Perimeter carved stairs removal completed down to aquifer level.

11th Sandstone, 251. Mining crew:  Excavate moat outside the Cheese Slice Tower.

17th Sandstone, 251. Mechanic crew: Supports linked details: z+110 mahogany, dolomite, lychee, cobaltite, microcline, jet, granite, and z+103 pysolusite completed.
Mining crew: The carved stairs is in progress.

6th Timber, 251.  Hauling crew:  We do not have enough dwarf power to haul all these stones. 

Spoiler: save stones? (click to show/hide)
8th Timber, 251. A solution. All-hands: burrow and mass dump iron bearing ores and gems only. 

Spoiler: bottom dump burrow (click to show/hide)
Mining crew: Remove the “up stairs” on the Bottom Dump.

The Cheese Slice Project - Final Report
20th Timber, 251, Late Autumn.

Project Cheese Slice is cutting a quarter of the Village of Cheesesplatter, and collapsing that piece of earth down several layers below the aquifer line. 

Specifics: Surface (z+113), Bottom Dump (z+103), Aquifer (z+110).

The Cheese Slice is z+109 to the surface (z+113) including a small hill (up to z+116).

The aquifer layer (Z+110) is mined out and sealed with constructed granite block walls. 

A cobaltite floodgate is installed, but not connected.  It can serve as a water feature to future overseers.

The layers below the aquifer (z+109 to z+103) are mined out, so the surface z+113 will reside on z+103 after the collapse. 

The supports on z+103 through z+110 are linked to initiate the collapse.

Commander Sanctume, “The Bottom Dump is secured, Auze, please pull the it.”

22th Timber, 251Auze, “I pulled the lever!”

--

Winter Arrived.
Spoiler: in ascii (click to show/hide)

The Save: Cheesesplatter - A Succession Farm - Winter 251
This is the end of Sanctume's turn from Winter 250 to Autumn 251.
Cheeseplatter Winter 251.zip is a windows (10) compressed folder. The save is in ASCII, LNP v44.12 r04.

☼The End☼

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2019, 09:00:48 pm »

Guess we put a diggy diggy hole in that big dumb bastard's skull!

.... I apologize for the reference. Back to hitting rocks.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2019, 12:32:25 am »

Holy mother of cheeses, that's what you were planning?

In hindsight it's obvious from the screenshots and name, and yet somehow it completely snuck up on me. That explains why you removed the beds from the bedrooms and put them in a dorm.

I'm in two minds about this enormous hole in our fort. On the one hand, respect! I usually consider the aquifer defeated if I can get below it. Dropping a quarter of the settlement directly through it is absolutely dwarfy, and it makes the place look far more impressive than a second year fort has any right to. Plus as a bonus you crushed my butt-ugly aquifer-piercing attempts.

On the other hand, noooooo! My bedrooms! My dining hall! My road! What have you dooooone...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2019, 12:40:31 am »

Wait, we what?

Curious. The bones of the south-eastern hills are not dirt, as we naively assumed, but gypsum and iron ore.

If that's the case... does that mean the water table doesn't extend into the hills? This warrants investigation. If we can just bypass the aquifer...

Excellent!

The dwarves of Cheeseplatter may not be able to return to the deepholds, but we can yet return to the deep. There is a way around the aquifer, though the bones of the hills. In time, we will take advantage of that. For now it is simply good to know, and should provide a major boost to morale and maybe reduce the frequency with which other team members punch me in the face.

That inspired me.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2019, 09:08:57 pm »

Summary for Quasar.

Year 2: Sanctume

Traded: 688 food (89,935☼), 1,437 drinks (10,713☼)

Chapter 1: Dabbling Manager

Chapter 2: Spring Break

Chapter 3: Summer Love

Chapter 4: A Fall in Cheesesplatter

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2019, 09:21:10 pm »

I've been busy the last few days, but I should be able to work on it today.

EDIT: Alright then, i've opened it up and HOLY MOLY I thought Zirilonol was messy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:37:40 pm by DwarvenLord »
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2019, 09:52:53 pm »

Welcome to the wonderful world of succession games.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2019, 10:21:16 pm »

2nd of Moonstone, Early Winter
Wait... what? You want me...me of all people, ME to lead this fortress, Sanctume?
Alright.
I've been preoccupied with brewing and trading for most of the time I've been here, so let's take a look at the current state of affairs.
I immediately see a problem.
Where's the temples?
Most of the people here worship at least one god, and I've been wanting to pray to Okang for quite a while as well. Well, let's get that sorted out.
In small letters on the side of the scroll, there is a small note saying: Remember not to... er... 'Borrow' any artifacts, no matter how shiny... or pretty... or... expensive it is...
Let's build a tower over here with a temple on each level.
Let's go with the most worshipers to the least, with more lower and less higher.
First floor will be An the whisper of meditation, god of silence and has 22 worshipers. Explains why it's so quite here...
Second floor shall be Genlath, with 18 worshipers and ruling over jealousy.
Third floor will be Nunur, god of mountains and caverns with 14 worshipers. Pretty generic dwarf god.
Fourth floor will be Okang, with thirteen worshipers and ruling over longevity. He's my god of choice.
Fifth will be Tobul the mine of sizzling, god of metal and fire, also with 13 worshipers.
Last will be Laltur, with 9 worshipers and surprisingly being the god of minerals, jewels, wealth, trade, and fortresses. Maybe he's been unpopular since the Defeat.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2019, 11:29:06 pm »

Ooh, a tower. I approve.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2019, 02:00:10 am »

A tower shaped like a knife?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2019, 11:45:23 am »

Ooh, a tower. I approve.
Are you trying to give us PTSD? Because that's how you get PTSD.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2019, 01:39:51 pm »

Ooh, a tower. I approve.
Are you trying to give us PTSD? Because that's how you get PTSD.
It begins with just level at a time, soon enough, you gonna mandate each overseer build up food production on each level up.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2019, 07:25:01 pm »

(Dangit, thought I had posted. Guess I'll add pictures later since I'm on mobile.)
-------------------------------
(Surprise, surprise, I was the one who caused the first Dwarven death. It wasn't anyone important.)

14th of moonstone, 251.

Well, now that the temples were underway, it was on to other business: digging out all the dirt that was at the bottom of Sanctume's hole. Small problem was that I miscalculated. They dug on the wrong floor, causing a small cave in that crushed someone named Melbil. Let's dig out this small hill as a cemetery.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sometime in opal, 251.

Wait, a war dog was killed? By what?
Oh, just a giant slug. It is quickly dealt with.
Cemetery is finished. I've decided to start potash production to increase farm yields.
I've picked out Inesh, a unneeded grower, as our potash maker.

1st of obsidian, 251.

Potash production is well under way and automated.
Melbil is FINALLY buried, it took ages because SOMEONE put the Mason's workshop in the most remote place possible.
Anyway, the tower already has three floors and will definitely be the tallest structure in this 'fortress.'
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:50:47 pm by DwarvenLord »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2019, 09:09:33 am »

(Dangit, thought I had posted. Guess I'll add pictures later since I'm on mobile.)
-------------------------------
... first Dwarven death. It wasn't anyone important.

14th of moonstone, 251.

They dug on the wrong floor, causing a small cave in that crushed someone named Melbil.

Incident Report
14th of Moonstone, 251.

Individual #25 Melbil was crushed to death by earthen debris during a mining operation.

She arrived with the Spring 251 reinforcements; was into the arts and engraving; and likes crossbows, earthen ware, and pig iron. 

#25 was designated for Forge apprenticeship, but was volunteered into the mining crew where her skills reached miner +8. 

When the Cyclops Ral attacked Cheesesplatter on Late Autumn, 251, she became a member of the The Cobalt Worshippers, miners squad. 

Although #25 values the pursuit of martial prowess, she most likely can become berzerk, and/or go stark raving mad, and can easily cracks under pressure

"In this incident, it seems the pressure of falling earth was too great for #25."

--

1st of obsidian, 251.

Potash production is well under way and automated.
Melbil is FINALLY buried, it took ages because SOMEONE put the Mason's workshop in the most remote place possible.

/ooc I forgot to add in my notes for the next overseer
"Please complete the constructions of stairs from surface to Bottom Dump as the path to the stone workshops will be through Cheese Slice tower in the SE."
"Please lock Cheese Slice tower by forbidding the 2 hatches (so it prevents destruction from below) when not longer needed after stairs construction." 
"Be aware the Cobaltite Floodgate is not yet connected to any mechanism, and it is adjacent to 2 aquifer tiles." 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:16:37 am by Sanctume »

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2019, 02:25:49 pm »

21st of obsidian, 251
(It's hard to tell regular ground from open space. All these one-tile pillars. You wouldn't think some falling dirt was deadly, but noooooo.
Not another accident!
Luckily no one died this time. Splint go caught in the dust and fell a good ways but isn't too hurt; as long as he gets a crutch and he doesn't get infected, he should be fine. I cared for him myself.
Wait... Splint needed a splint. Hehe.

7th of granite, 252
Happy new year!
Nature has celebrated with...
Giant Monarch Butterflies.
You think the dwarves would like these, but no, they run away terrified.
Why did we come to a savage biome again?
We could of gone to a calm, good biome with sunberries and sunberry wine,  but NOOOOOO.
Oh great! Now Ineth, (the same Ineth that i assigned potash duty) has withdrawn from society! At least we have access to leather!
Let's see; she wants leather, gems both cut and not, and logs. Easy enough.
She quickly gets all her ingredients and gets to work. Wonder what it'll be...

21st of granite, 252.
Ah... what's a 'chausse'?
Oh, it's a type of shoe.
Alright. It'll go nice with that sock.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22