Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm  (Read 47782 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2019, 05:33:20 pm »

Pardon my ignorance I'm gonna go munch on some bees.
Sigged.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2019, 12:00:38 pm »

Another Breadbowl? At this rate we're like one of those strange antique stores that drift across dimensions, only with a faint whiff of bread and butter.

Well, I don't have much time to play these days, but it wouldn't feel right if I didn't grab a dwarf for this final harvest. Dorf me, any old planter will do, as I always am.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2019, 12:33:33 pm »

No written update to post yet.  My progress is on month 3 of year 251, so 7 months to go. 

I got notes, and 12 migrants reinforcements arrived that I have to micro-manage process. 

I can't wait until the Friday to get a longer chunk of time to play and get in character.

Weekdays.  Sanctume get annoyed playing DF.  Interrupted by: Obligations.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2019, 08:01:33 pm »

Anything Sanctume?
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2019, 09:48:20 pm »

I played Friday night after work, until 5 am this morning, slept for 3 hours only, so I'm sleep deprived all day.
I'm up to 10th Sandstone, 251 so I have less than 2 months to go.  It's going to be tight if I can complete what I started. 

I'll see if I can write something tonight, and post on Sunday.

edit: Clarification.  It's going to be a tight if I can complete the project I started in Cheesesplatter.  I have time to play and write.  It's the project completion is tight is in question; I can complete my current turn. :)

edit 2: I have a somewhat draft of Chapter 1 now.  Need to proof read and upload images. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:48:53 am by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2019, 01:52:39 am »

oops, double posted.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:16:16 am by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2019, 01:57:19 am »

Introduction

From the journal of Sanctume. Anklemine, 21 Sandstone, 249.
Today is my 69th birthday and I made an important decision.
I made up my mind, so there is no changing that.  When duty calls, I answered, and so I accepted a position for the mission next season.  It is good that I will be along with friends in this journey.

(... writing is passable, but amateurish at best)
Dwarves are like stones.  War hardens every dwarf.  But stones can be shaped into fine pieces of art too.  Therefore, each dwarfs can be shaped to be their most improved self.

From the journal of Sanctume. Cheesesplatter, 21 Sandstone, 250. 
I turned 70 years old today.  I am still uneasy witnessing death the first time, but I am fine with my first kill because that mandrill woman is threatening our peace.  There is no time for forgiveness, only retribution.  And I acted according to my duty. 

When Quasar offered me to manage the affairs of the hamlet beginning this coming winter, I accepted.  It would be wonderful if I am to create something great in my life, a great piece of art.  No, not crafts.  Those are worthless relative to other things.  Perhaps developing martial skills is artful for myself, but I find it distasteful for others. 

I do contemplate what Quasar had in mind about Cheesesplatter. It could be Cheeses Platter, many cheese on a platter to represent the food bounty the surface world offers.  Or Cheese Splatter, an unfortunate vision to imagine.  Nevertheless, I think I will carve up a slice of this cheese for myself.

Chapter 1: Dabbling Manager

0800 1000 1st of Moonstone, 250.

Spoiler: Sanctume's thoughts (click to show/hide)

The hamlet’s 24 citizens are greeted by winter’s arrival with a never ceasing roar of thunder and falling rain.  It was wise to forgo any official ceremony this morning so I can sleep in a bit from last night’s drinking.

Auze, (she insists on the title Scholar Auze) has been doing the record keeping.  As I’m a dabbling manager beginning today, I asked Auze if she would like take the position of Secretary.  No, it’s not about secrets.  It’s that I need information and her skills in bookkeeping will make my tasks easier.

Quasar’s last report tally says the food stores are broken down into: 334 plants, 877 seeds, 211 drinks, and 328 others.  I feel so good because there’s plenty to drink. 

I thought that I should complain for the lack of proper mugs, but I realize that I would be complaining to myself.  Now that I am thinking of other annoying things: drinking water without a well despite the aquifer is literally below us.  Getting caught in this rain is another.  I will just keep these to myself.

Anyway, first order of business is to establish “The Spear of Destiny” squad to be captained by (#10 REDACTED) who arrived with Autumn 250 reinforcements.  The quarrelsome dwarf Blackchibisa is placed in the squad with (#12 REDACTED)  and (#13 REDACTED).  I am still the militia commander, and the squad can use more practice. 

1800 1st of Moonstone, 250.

Auze and Sanctume spent the day going over the personnel files of Cheesesplatter.  Sanctume applied  the War College Personnel Designations to the current population of the hamlet.

Attached below are new documents: Civilian Personnel Designations (publish pending), and the initial drafts with raw data containing name, gender, age, preferences, notable traits and skills.

Document: Civilian Personnel Designations applied to Hamlet of Cheesesplatter.

All personnel shall have a first and second designation codes.  Un-designated personnel are considered peasants for the pool of haulers or potential recruits.

The First Designation Code defines the role of the personnel.
G for Grower and related Food Services and Containers: Cook, Brewer, Herbalist, Carpentry for barrels.  Glassmakers are Luxury, and Potters are Stone.
A for Administrative Duties: Record Keeper, Manager, Psychological Counselors (Mayor), Captain of the Guard, Captain of the Watch.
N for Noble Positions: Leaders, Militia Commander, Raid Captains, and Boot Camp Sergeant.
H for Healthcare profession: Chief Medical Doctors, Surgeon, Bone Setter, Suturrer, Wound Dresser, including Combat Medics.
L for Luxury industry: Cloth, Leather, Gem, and Glass.
S for Stone industry: Mason, Mechanic, and Stone craft.
F for Forge industry: Weaponsmith, Armosmith, Metalsmith, and Metal craft.
C for Civilian or Child.
0..9 for military squad ready for deployment.
X for Corpse Duty, or clean up crew.

The Second Designation Code defines the individual’s life dream goal.
S for Skill of the martial prowess type, including Mining.
M for Masterwork crafting.
F for Family.
A for Art creation.
N for the uncommon personnel who have no personal dream goal.
R for the rare personnel who dreams of Ruling the World.

Included also are:
+Noted Item and/or Material Preferences.
+Summary of the personnel’s traits.
+Current Skills.
+Optional Overseer notes.

2200 1st of Moonstone, 250.
I wrote my plans to sculp these dwarfs towards their improved selves.

2300 1st of Moonstone, 250.

Before the day ends, I approved several job orders for bedroom sets, dining sets, and continuation of food and drink production.

--
"Auze, you like beds.  So, go pursue carpentry and make beds and wooden furnishings.  You can count the food and drinks when spring arrives, before trade."

The current housing setup are passable, but it needs to go.  Temporary quarters and offices will be needed.  How about  some dorms and conference rooms? 

I also think a barracks style living arrangements will do, but with private storage option for later.

The current dining hall is on dirt.  A more proper tavern is needed, and it should be constructed above, on to the food production building, and next to the trade depot.

I also see that the wooden palisade is incomplete.  The Spear of Destiny will take a break off training and help with the construction.

Order 146: [REDACTED] is also is in effect.  A delicate balance in setting the division of labor is needed.  Hauler, Construction, Refuse Cleaning, Food Service, Mason, Mechanic, and Miner roles are in place in order to meet these goals within a year.

Summary Report:
Order 143: Office, Dorm, Quarters, and Conference Rooms.
Order 144: Wooden Palisade Construction.
Order 145: Tavern Construction.
Order 146: [REDACTED], Commit to Dig Site.

25th of Moonstone.
I’ve grown attached to my bronze spear that pacifies me from this torment, called rain.

The living arrangements has beds.  The private storage option is only an option and not a priority now.

12th of Opal.

Some cherry trees had to be cut down in order to construct roofs.  Unfortunately, when the logs fell, so did a few mandrill woman body parts.  Blackchibisa was horrified!

18th of Obsidian.

The Date of Talons tavern is open for the citizens and long-term residents of Cheesesplatter.

Temporary forge and extra carpenter shop is built also with partial roofing.  The trade depot is still has no roof.

The wood palisade of Cheesesplatter is almost finished.  Here are the positions of Farms, Food and Drink Production, Trade Depot, Livestock, Orchards, and Bridges.

Spoiler: wood palisade (click to show/hide)

Order 146: Project Cheese Slice, Winter 250 Report [REDACTED].

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2019, 03:20:04 am »

FYI: You accidentally double-posted, Sanctume.

I do contemplate what Quasar had in mind about Cheesesplatter. It could be Cheeses Platter, many cheese on a platter to represent the food bounty the surface world offers.  Or Cheese Splatter, an unfortunate vision to imagine.
Fucking dwarven autocorrect.

I've been waiting for weeks for someone to mention that just so I could make that joke.

Some cherry trees had to be cut down in order to construct roofs.  Unfortunately, when the logs fell, so did a few mandrill woman body parts.  Blackchibisa was horrified!
Oh, so that's where those got to. I saw them flying off in the combat logs but for the life of me I couldn't find where they'd ended up. Didn't think to check the trees.

Nice work on finishing the palisade, though I hope some future overseer chops it down and replaces it with solid stone blocks, or this place is going to end looking suffering Breadbowl-syndrome, with heavy stone blocks built on a foundation of rotting wood.

Also, about that southern gate... I didn't include one on either south or east border because it's really close the edge of map and a siege could spawn there and be in before we knew it. Good it have, but I'd suggest keeping it closed except when we really need it.

Also, am I missing something? I thought dorms were worse than private bedrooms and assumed you were building dorms to provide more sleeping space for the next migrant wave, but you've actually replaced private bedrooms with dorms.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:27:11 am by QuQuasar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2019, 03:46:11 am »

I gotta be honest, I've been wondering which one was the actual name for like... Three days.

And yeah, teeth tend to get scattered everywhere, ensuring even mace and hammer dwraves aren't a "clean" way to fight intruders, due to sheer amount of bashed out toofs getting stuck in trees, on roofs, in fortifications...

I would suggest attempting to force relationships among the population. While a disaster could make it... Well, disastrous, it is well documented dwarves with friends and spouses are happier and easier ot keep sane in rainy conditions. Pets also help greatly. I recommend favored animals, but any fighting beast will do the job  (and to greater effect in an emergency.)

Now please point me to the desired spot to dig hole to put a well. Maybe two.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2019, 04:53:08 am »

Nice work on finishing the palisade, though I hope some future overseer chops it down and replaces it with solid stone blocks, or this place is going to end looking suffering Breadbowl-syndrome, with heavy stone blocks built on a foundation of rotting wood.

Also, about that southern gate... I didn't include one on either south or east border because it's really close the edge of map and a siege could spawn there and be in before we knew it. Good it have, but I'd suggest keeping it closed except when we really need it.

Also, am I missing something? I thought dorms were worse than private bedrooms and assumed you were building dorms to provide more sleeping space for the next migrant wave, but you've actually replaced private bedrooms with dorms.

I prefer block walls myself, but we did not have a quarry yet, so I opt for using logs to help clean up the surface. 

Yes, the dorms are temporary for new migrants until I can catch up with proper bedrooms.  Unfortunately, I don't I have time to get to the bedrooms.  I also don't like bedrooms on dirt, so the new replacements are also temporary. 

I would suggest attempting to force relationships among the population. While a disaster could make it... Well, disastrous, it is well documented dwarves with friends and spouses are happier and easier ot keep sane in rainy conditions. Pets also help greatly. I recommend favored animals, but any fighting beast will do the job  (and to greater effect in an emergency.)

Now please point me to the desired spot to dig hole to put a well. Maybe two.

As I was writing tonight, I realize I forgot to work on a well.  Probably no time for that.  We have a brook and plenty of buckets, he he.

The_Saladman

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here to eat plant piss beer and shit out seeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2019, 02:39:07 am »

I've started to look at the forums again after the announcement that DF is coming to Steam and I'd like this to be my reentrance into DF, if 7 is not enough.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2019, 12:38:01 am »

Chapter 2: Spring Break

Some music

End of Winter, 250.

Within a season, I have become an expert organizer.  I even manage to expedite the completion of a couple of decent sized conference rooms with their own sampling of lavish meals from the tavern.  In the back are a couple of spare beds for those who are working late.

in conference room #1.

Quasar, I think you are too hard pressed in making these lavish meals.  You need to take a break from the kitchen, expand your knowledge a bit.  Perhaps you can help make some mechanism as practice for when we need to order traction benches someday. 

I know you heard about Project Cheese Slice.  I could use a supervisor down in the new stone quarry, and you can practice on your mechanic skills.  I need quite a handful of mechanisms made.

“Why would you need so much mechanism?”

It’s for when (REDACTED)...

“Tell me more about this ...”

I suppose there is no harm in sharing with you the progress so far.

So to the southeast, a watch tower lookout is being built.  Inside this watch tower is the beginning of the excavation to dig down to a few layers into the stone, and well below where the aquifer level is.  It’s all an educated guess right now, until the the miners learn more.

Spoiler: watch tower (click to show/hide)

Splint heads the dig site and has taken along Immortal-D, Superdorf, Zugarkun, and a few other dabbling miners.  Here...

Spoiler: dig site (click to show/hide)

"?"

Splint has found granite and microcline at the bottom. The portable drains are already installed, but some still need to be secured with floor grates.  My secretary Scholar Auze fast tracked the making of the wooden minecarts and wheelbarrows, and barrels too.  She's great.

I heard this morning that Splint’s mining crew began digging up and found orthoclase, mica and ores of tetrahedrite.

"..."

Now, I recommend Gchristopher, your sous chef, to handle the cooking this Spring.  Lordy is also doing well as the master brewer.  A couple of food haulers should suffice a stable supply of food and drinks.

"!!!"

I know.  I know.  I’m sure our quota will take a small hit, but I consider this an expansion phase; a small investment for a greater return.  I think you might even will find extra time to socialize. 

1st of Granite, 251.

Winter has left and so did the rain; the new year has come sprung along with spring, and in my step.  Oh merry making indeed has swept throughout Cheesesplatter since the past 2 weeks.

The Date of Talon is the hub of activity, mostly story-telling.  Every dwarf seems to be emboldened to practice in the arts of oratory wordsmith.

Spoiler: tell story (click to show/hide)

As time passes in a blur of inebriation, unaware of when days end and night begins, progress of Project Cheese Slice seems to move either fast, or slow to a crawl.  I ordered more bronze picks. 

We need more miners!  But Splint said the miners are gaining valuable skills and digging will speed up.  I agree, but I ordered more picks just in case. 

23rd Slate, Spring, 251.

Cheesesplatter received reinforcement of 12 personnels.

--
Incident Report.
23rd Slate, 251 through 5th Felsite, 251.

Individual #14 (REDACTED) is taken by a fey mood.  A clothier by trade demands a loom and a clothier shop built.  These facilities are constructed in the temporary area next to the forge and carpenter. 

Individual #14 further demanded specific items: yarn, rough gems, and metal bars.

On 1st Felsite, 251, #14 gathered sheep wool, alpaca wool, a rough wax opal, and a bronze bar.

Four days later, this clothier produced a wool sock studded with bronze.

Spoiler: spring mood (click to show/hide)

--
The Cheese Slice Project - Progress Report.

5th Felsite, 251. Dig crew: 4th level up: flux stone dolomite and hematite veins are found.

17th Felsite, 251.  A new site for the garbage disposal has been designated for digging.

15th Felsite, 251. The watch tower’s 3rd floor tower is under construction.
24th Felsite, 251.  The watch tower roof is being constructed.

28th Felsite, 251. Dig crew: More dolomite, hematite found, and some jet and lignite.

--
Social Report.
24th Felsite, 251.

The mechanism order remain pending.  There is no documented complaint as to why conference #2 was occupied for most of spring.  I would not have noticed it either as I was far too occupied in my task and using conference #1.

Spoiler: congratulations (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:50:28 am by Sanctume »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:46 am »

A sample of Quasar's excellent storytelling skills:

Quote from: Quasar
Story begins.

Year: 37
Subject: Imeri Nighturns the Dead Phantom of Crypts.
Threat Level: High
Result: Was designated an enemy of The North Syrup.

Story ends.

You may clap now.

-----

Quote from: Sanctume
Cheesesplatter received reinforcement of 12 personnels.

They're actually pretty useful, too. Another stonecrafter for pots, a proper weaponsmith and a decent furnace operator. Shame no planters, though. Need more planters. Can never have too many planters.

-----

Quote from: Sanctume
Four days later, this clothier produced a wool sock studded with bronze.

That is the worst sock. Bronze studs, cut opal caltrops and spikes somehow made of wool. Pretty sure if you put your foot in that thing you're not getting it back.

------

Quasar and SQ Man have married. Congratulations!

Year: 251
Season: Spring
Event: Marriage!
Probable cause: Inebriation
Memory of event: Negligible
Additional Note: What fuck no why why why how did this nooo fuck aaaaaargh

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 01:12:36 am »

Chapter 3: Summer Love

Music: Dolomite Lullaby

End of Spring, 251.

Now that spring break is done, the heat of summer moments envigors everyone to work with zeal and passion.

--
Trade Report.
13th to 19th Hematite, 251.

Orders: Delivery of Food and Drink to the Mountainhome.
Courrier: Omon Rorec Transport, Inc., a human courrier service company.

Threat: A squadron of large bandits came out of their hole and are circling above Cheesesplatter. Despite the presence of The Spear of Destiny who are actively training near the depot, the giant masked lovebirds are interrupting trade.   

Spoiler: trade threat (click to show/hide)
Action: Commander Sanctume ordered the construction of roof over the depot and training area.  On the day of the trade, all food and drink production are suspended and trade hauling is priority.  The production of steel continues, albeit at a minimum capacity.  All mining operations are also halted to help haul the food and drinks to expedite the transaction.  "Attention Trade Officer 'Lordy', please report to the trade depot."

Transaction Summary.
Drinks: 817 units (5552 ☼)
In exchange, the mountainhome provided some token supplies of gems, glass, waterskins, empty barrels, buckets, iron pick, empty bags, sand, leather, cloth.

Food: 472 units (63989 ☼) offer included.
Cheesesplatter received leather, cloth, iron anvils, metal ammo, threads, backpacks, quivers, books, codex, sheets, large iron armor, iron weapons, and instruments.

One barrel of masterful lavish meals (8971 ☼) is specially packaged and offered to the monarchs. 

Spoiler: trade details (click to show/hide)

--
Commander Report.
Qualified Spear Captain: ‘Sanctume
Qualified Spear Captain: (REDACTED) NM Spear Rith
Qualified Axe Captain: ‘Zuglarkun
Qualified Mace Captain: (REDACTED) Astesh
Qualified Crossbow Captain: (REDACTED) WF Erith
Qualified Corpse Duty Captain: (REDACTED) XF Asmel
Qualified War Hammer Captain: none
Qualified Sword Captain: none

--
Incident Report.
3rd to 10th Galena, 251.
Individual #26 (REDACTED) has been possessed!  A milker by trade claims the forge.  Quick, forbid all other metal bars except steel!

Individual #26 creates “Smileringed”, a steel battle axe.

Spoiler: Smileringed (click to show/hide)
10th Galena, 251.
Captain ‘Zuglarkun’ heads The Lavish Choppers and will train Individual #26.
Captain Astesh heads The Mace Winds.

--
The Cheese Slice Project - Progress Report.

18th Hematite, 251. Dig crew: Limonite veins found.
25th Hematite, 251. Dig crew: Damp Kaolinite and Fire Clay are the bottom layer before the aquifer.
The lower granite doors to the stone workshops are locked.  The Cheese Slice will be dug in sections until the aquifer sides are replaced with constructed granite block walls.

26th Hematite, 251. Construction crew: More workers are needed to construct the block walls to seal the aquifer sides.  The ten portable drains are able to handle the volume of water.

Spoiler: damp stone (click to show/hide)
7th Galena, 251.  Construction crew: The relocated Garbage Smasher is being hooked up to a lever.
10th Galena, 251.  Dig crew: The surface Cheese Slice carving begins.

--
Social Report.
18th Hematite, 251.
Spoiler: congratulations (click to show/hide)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2019, 04:45:17 am »

Quasar and SQ Man have married. Congratulations!

Now do the kissy kissy thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22