Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm  (Read 47772 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2019, 09:21:43 pm »

Dwarvenlord: Excellent work! Three years down, our food production is on the rise and we're not being murdered by werepigs and the undead corpses of our fallen comrades. I call that a win. I look forward to exploring the save tonight.

Superdorf: All I can suggest is to try deleting the "raw" folder from the save, or using the LNP to reset the savegame's tileset (though it's in ASCII, so it should be fine).

Pikachu17: If Superdorf is too occupied, will you be available to take the next turn?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2019, 10:02:23 pm »

Deleting the raw folder doesn't help. What is an "LNP" and how would I use it to reset the tileset?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2019, 10:17:58 pm »

The LNP is the Lazy Newb Pack, though it's more "formally" known as PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack. Here's the link to the forum thread for the Lazy Newb Pack.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2019, 05:33:37 am »

I decided to investigate the history of our civilisation a little now that the elves are coming after us again. Here's what I found:

Imagine a defenseless dwarf. Now imagine that defenseless dwarf being beaten into a bloody pulp by a horde of elves,  over the course of 3 years. That is the history of The North Syrup.

The War of Murders (fitting name) began in late winter 87, with the unprovoked pillaging of Cudgelbrands byThe Basin of Fastening, who are quite frankly a bunch of arseholes. Lead by Vadane Leapdrilled, princess of their civilization (she's still alive and still their Princess, by the way), 208 elves accompanied by 55 elephants among other warbeasts utterly curbstomped the 26 dwarves and 15 goblins of Cudgelbrands.

The North Syrup retreated immediately, evacuating and abandoning Blothame and Oilyfed before the elves even arrived. Both were conquered without casualties on either side. Then the elves once again returned to Cudgelbrands, crushing what meager resistance the Northern Syrup had managed to put together. 15 dwarves and 13 goblins died buying time for Tinrelic and Boldjaw to be evacuated.

It was clear to the dwarves that they were doomed, that this was a war of extermination on the elves part, and so they enacted the Last Hope protocol. The Deepholds were founded, and dwarvenkind abandoned the surface. 9 brave dwarves were lost at Oiledscaled, and 9 more at Minedshort, but their sacrifice bought another year, during which the dwarves vanished from the surface. When Vadane Leapdrilled arrived at Shovefurnace, the final dwarven bastion, she found it abandoned.

But she didn't know of Anklemine. Destroyed in 75 by the Brush Titan Strasnu Boatsseason the Creature of Dells, the tiny hillocks had been quietly repopulated, and it was chosen by the Last King of the Dwarves, Kivish Lensportal, to be the entrance to the Deepholds.

And so the The War of Murders never actually ended, and continues to this day. And now dwarves walk the surface once again, and the Basin of Fastening knows it.

Oh by the way, Vadane Leapdrilled, our ancient enemy, journeys with many pets, but one stands out in particular...

Denied the satisfaction of ending the dwarven race once and for all, never knowing what had become of them, Vadane Leapdrilled gradually grew bitter, resentful and paranoid. Once the famed general who had defeated all of dwarvenkind, she gradually lost the trust of her subordinates and allies as she retired to Fogdanger, spending all her time taming wild beasts and dwelling on the insult to her pride. Over the years, irritation gradually gave way to obsession.

She could trust nobody, confide in nobody except her pets. She knew it was a source of much rumor among her subordinates exactly how close she was with her war animals. But quite frankly, she could trust them. Especially her giant hamster. Yes. Especially him. Some days, it seemed like he was her only friend. Her only friend.

She would find the treekillers one day. Yes. The dwarves would return one day, and she would end them.

She lovingly stroked her pets short fur, thinking of genocide, when an elf came running through the tree's carrying a letter. Word from the scouts. It would be the same as every year, of course. No word of the foul dwarves. Was that the truth, though, my darling, or were they keeping the truth from her? Could she truly trust anyone? She could trust her hamster, of course. He was her only friend.

"Princess! Princess! We have word!" the elf was gasping, and appeared to have run many kilometers to reach her.

"Word, soldier? What word?"

And then, he said it. At long last, someone finally said the words she had waited centuries to hear.

"We found them, princess! The dwarves! There's a settlement deep in the valley, behind the mountains. They're farming!"

Vadine's frown slowly turned into a smile, and widened into a terrible gash. The laughter came unbidden, starting as a hysterical giggle and rising to a cackle. The time had finally come to finish what she had started all those years ago. She caressed her hamster, her only friend, who was bearing his teeth at the mention of their ancient enemy.

"Come, Mutkugusno! We have work to do."
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:38:32 am by QuQuasar »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2019, 10:39:26 am »

Oh my. The saga continues.

Anyway, I'm still trying to crack this savegame open. I downloaded the Lazy Newb Pack, went in to refresh the tileset...

"0 savegames updated!

1 savegames were skipped (would have broken raws)"

I think my savefile must be corrupted somehow. I'm gonna try a re-download and see if that makes a difference.

klonk
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2019, 10:45:44 am »

4th of limestone, 252
Huh. I didn't know we were a war with the elves.
AMBUSH" border="0
This seems like a stupid comment now. I just assumed it was the goblins that killed everyone.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2019, 10:49:35 am »

Aha! It was a corruption issue! I'm in!

klonk
Sigtext

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2019, 10:52:31 am »

Aha! It was a corruption issue! I'm in!
Hack the planet!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2019, 10:59:47 am »

I'm... I'm in. Wow.

This place is a mess.

klonk
Sigtext

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2019, 11:49:56 am »

I'm... I'm in. Wow.

This place is a mess.
How?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2019, 12:44:37 pm »

From the overseer's log of 'Superdorf' Mirrorwet, Carpenter and Glassmaker

The elves are coming.

For two hundred years, we have warred with the elves of the fey woods. They come with their beasts and their legions, and we cannot withstand. Now they have found us once more, and they will come in unnumbered hordes.

These three years, I have shaped countless vessels of glass and wood. My skill is legendary, my works unparalleled-- but now the elves are coming, and all must change.

By the law of our people, leadership passes unto me this day. I take on the mantle of the overseer, and look upon my home with new eyes.

The elves are coming. I now must direct these 90 dwarves in the ways of war.

klonk
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2019, 01:09:33 pm »

Lordy: Nah, I'm good. Maybe later you can do that 'ways of war' thing with me.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2019, 01:14:29 pm »

We have special holes for their kind. Ones deep and full of spikes.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2019, 02:10:05 pm »

From the overseer's log of 'Superdorf' Mirrorwet, Carpenter and Glassmaker

I scrutinize the military paperwork. As I expected, it is in need of much reorganization.

First, the uniforms. The existing paperwork is useless to me. I throw out the uniform papers entirely, replacing them with simpler, more precise designations.

Axes, hammers, spears, and crossbows are the proper tools of a dwarven military. No other weapon is necessary, save maces for our existing squad. They have trained long with their chosen weapons. I will not disturb them.

Civilians have heretofore been allowed any weapon of their choosing. This is suboptimal. Civilians will now be permitted to wield only axes. Axes are best for shearing elfwood.

Uniforms standardized, I move on to position assignments. These are most sloppy. Squads contain seemingly random numbers of soldiers, and bear fanciful names that do not properly represent the squad's purpose. Various extra squads have been created; these squads are empty and their equipment assignments list weapons we do not have or need. Once again, I throw out the existing paperwork. We can do better.

Each squad is assigned a one-word name describing its nature, and a number. Save the civilian squads, every squad is to contain exactly three dwarves: a captain, and two soldiers. This arrangement is simple, easily understood, and will greatly facilitate the training of our soldiers.

The military paperwork complete, I crack open our residential files, methodically assessing the skills and labor assignments of each dwarf. All but the most skilled or important of dwarves, I designate "Soldier", and assign to military duty. I also disband the wrestler's squad; we cannot afford to let such able-bodied warriors wait on the sidelines. They must take up arms, and fight.

The positions assigned, I deliver the paperwork to Sanctume the militia commander. His shouts ring through the streets, and dwarves come forth to the armor stand in answer. A long regimen lies before them.

klonk
Sigtext

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2019, 02:32:35 pm »

"Paperwork?" *hands over the stack to wife, Scholar Auze*
"You put my baby girl into daycare boot camp yet?"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22