Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm  (Read 47762 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesesplatter: A Succession Farm
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2019, 08:16:36 pm »

Fear response has more to do with standing and fighting than stress; dwarves with poor discipline and high susceptibility to fear are more likely to run away - with the "overcome by terror" effect - on contact with the enemy.

Is it just me, or does the game err on the side of "always bad" for personality changes, no matter the source? I've only ever gotten one positive change (from a  coward to someone who seeks out danger, after taking part in a battle with some elves.) With that negative of a change, stressors will likely hit even harder. Assuming the hammerer or guards don't kill him, insanity will if he stays in the militia as a frontliner without making multiple overseers have to coddle him between likely at minimum twice-yearly engagements (and it takes a tremendous amount of effort to undo that stress, believe me.) I'd strongly advise transitioning him to a crossbow squad so he won't bitch about lack of martial arts and won't be likely to fight anymore.

Otherwise, he's useless to the militia now. And as the Ancestor said.

"Suffer not the lame horse, or the broken man."

I've been investigating lately, and the fear trait seems to affect how disturbed a dwarf is by death. A fearful dwarf will find most every dead sapient "horrifying", while a middling-feared dwarf becomes merely "uneasy" by the sight of dead things and a fearless "doesn't feel anything" about it. 'Blackchibisan' has a high fear level, and is deeply horrified by the sight of dead bodies.

I've seen some positive changes pop up now and again. I don't know what the probabilities are like.

I dunno what to do about this dorf. Certainly I don't want to outright kill/exile him-- the loss of any dwarf is a terrible blow to our entire civilization, and this particular dwarf bears a player's name on top of everything. He's gonna stay in isolation for awhile, at any rate.

I want it in stone that there is no possible way I could have predicted this outcome when I made Blackchibisan Sanctume’s second in command.

Blackchibisan, "Recruit". A young 52 year old man. He's stingy, very weak and a compulsive coward, so we drafted him into soldier duty. Face your fears and all that. In hindsight, perhaps that wasn't the best idea. Also, he likes eating narwhals, the sick fuck.
Spoiler: Blackchibisan (click to show/hide)

NO. POSSIBLE. WAY.

It was inevitable.   ::)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2019, 08:21:16 pm »

You'd think it'd say something somewhere that thier fear response affects death reaction. I'll have to have a look at my dudes in other forts. I've only ever seen it matter otherwise with poorly trained dudes running away when I'd rather they stand and fight the magpies running around trying to steal my shit.

Regardless, he's gonna need some serious luxuries if kept in isolation to help combat being lonely, and some kind of pet. Pets are good. Geld them if needed, but pets are good.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2019, 08:54:47 pm »

Try sending him off to conquer a weaker place. Your choice whether he keeps his equipment or not.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2019, 06:15:28 am »

Well, y’could, but he’s... Unlikely to survive, and, as stated before, every loss of a Dwarf is a hard loss on all our people. If it comes to outright Hammering, then maybe tht kind of exile might be okay, but Idunno...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2019, 10:48:43 am »

From the overseer's log of 'Superdorf' Mirrorwet, Carpenter and Glassmaker

----------------
7th of Slate

The miners work quickly, sobered by the death of their own. The necropolis is soon carved, and coffins of microcline set into the rough-hewn chambers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am comforted. It is good, to sleep in stone.

----------------
15th of Slate

Spring has brought us death, aye, but now it brings life. A child is born this day!

The babe's beard is long and rich already. His parents are proud indeed.

----------------
19th of Slate

Thob's madness grows dangerous... he hurts no one, but the blood rises in his eyes.

Fool that I was, to think Thob's madness had no violence in it! He shall be contained.

----------------
21st of Slate

Joy! Migrants from the Deepholds!

I meet each as they enter, questioning them thoroughly as to their capabilities. One in particular soon stood out to me.

A talented dwarf indeed! Perhaps too talented? I must watch him.

But ach! Here is a legend taken flesh!

Are our efforts so valued in the Deepholds, that they send such wonders to us? It is good!

----------------
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

klonk
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2019, 12:05:22 pm »

Babies are a good thing. They keep their families unstressed, assuming they refrain from being murdered by werebeasts. The little fucker best not be an embarrassment when he's 12.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2019, 12:31:47 pm »

Well, y’could, but he’s... Unlikely to survive, and, as stated before, every loss of a Dwarf is a hard loss on all our people. If it comes to outright Hammering, then maybe that kind of exile might be okay, but Idunno...
That's why I said weaker. A place with just 10 goblins/elves is pretty easy to conquer, especially considering he's a spearmaster. He's not really doing anything in isolation, other than slightly draining our supplies.
Actually, I haven't played this version that much, is it reasonably probable to make people stressed enough to tantrum happy again? If so, then we could try making him happier.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:35:37 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2019, 12:51:37 pm »

Well, y’could, but he’s... Unlikely to survive, and, as stated before, every loss of a Dwarf is a hard loss on all our people. If it comes to outright Hammering, then maybe that kind of exile might be okay, but Idunno...
That's why I said weaker. A place with just 10 goblins/elves is pretty easy to conquer, especially considering he's a spearmaster. He's not really doing anything in isolation, other than slightly draining our supplies.
Actually, I haven't played this version that much, is it reasonably probable to make people stressed enough to tantrum happy again? If so, then we could try making him happier.

It takes years of effort to undue people in this guy's position. I didn't realize one of my militia captains was a massive crybaby in Battlejudge when I drafted him for his preexisting spear skills and it took years and years of work to get him to stop crying on the mayor instead of doing other things, like fill his fucking socializing needs. Had to take him off any building/hauling, only give him a crafting job, make sure he had things he liked in his bedroom (which as a rule in the place are bigger than the standard 3x3 or 2x2,) make extra outdoor crafting stations so he wouldn't get cave-adapted, and be thankful I set up in a rain shadow (it rains so seldom there I never notice when it does, because there's so few complaints.)

When it became an issue again with two other people, I sent them off to die because I simply didn't have the time between attacks or stuff they liked for them to be coddled like that (and the problem sergeant only stopped being a problem once he got hardened enough to not be bothered by corpses.)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2019, 05:58:53 pm »

From the overseer's log of 'Superdorf' Mirrorwet, Carpenter and Glassmaker

----------------
22nd of Slate

The spearmaster Rith Basementjoin has had death on his face as of late. It is time, I think, he be set apart from us as was his squadmate.

This accursed rain, this accursed war! I fear the madness will take us all.

----------------
5th of Felsite

A foolish monster slayer decided to follow Rith into his isolation chamber.

He did not live long.

----------------
7th of Felsite

Another birth.

The wailing of the child is most unsettling. I am glad to be an overseer and not a mother.

----------------
1st of Hematite

Summer is come.

Will it bring trade or siege? I do not know... at any rate, my time as overseer grows short. I must make haste if I am to complete my Project.

----------------
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:01:17 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2019, 12:27:26 am »

Another beardling joins the fold, do us proud sonny!

Alas poor Atir and Ingish! Armok giveth, Armok taketh. I blame the wretched rain, soggy cheese attracts fungal spores. And we don't want no mushrooms sprouting ere.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2019, 04:52:30 pm »

From the overseer's log of 'Superdorf' Mirrorwet, Carpenter & Glassmaker

-----------------
17th of Hematite

Couriers from the Deephold!

I order all prepared foodstuff and beverages to be moved. The military force is temporarily rendered inactive as every available dwarf rushes to haul the trade.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-----------------
22nd of Hematite

The past days have been hectic indeed, but the trade is at last complete. Lordy approaches me with the numbers.

Drinks: ☼21757 (≈2850 units)
Prepared meals: ☼77165 (≈680 units)

In return, we received much cloth and leather, some meager quantities of metal, a few gemstones, and-- most notably-- a selection of fine scrolls and codices from human lands. We shall have a library!

Nevertheless, we have not produced so much food as I would like. I take a moment to inspect the herds, marking the weakest among them for slaughter. Their meat will be welcome in the Deephold, and our herds will be stronger for the thinning.

-----------------

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2019, 07:05:46 pm »

-----------------
28th of Hematite

Amidst the flurry of labor, another new mouth breaks voice for the first time.

I cannot help but wonder how Quasar feels about this. She seemed rather upset after her marriage two years ago.

-----------------
8th of Malachite

One of our macedwarves woke this morning in strange mood.

She walks the halls in silence, an unearthly light in her eyes. Perhaps some ancestor has come to her in dream.

-----------------
11th of Malachite

Unable to break out of his cell, the mad speardwarf Rith has begun to shout these words repeatedly: "I will not clean my room! I am THROWING A TANTRUM!"

I do not approve of this.

-----------------
12th of Malachite

Astesh has some skill in jewelry, I recall, and so I order a workshop built for her.

She claims the shop quickly, taking a stray fragment of tourmaline with her. Soon we shall see what comes of this posession.

-----------------
16th of Malachite

A migrant arrives!

I question the newcomer closely. Her name is Kadol Sandbust, and she is a carpenter by trade. Her skills are mediocre, and her will feeble... but her hands will prove useful to the completion of the Project. It is good.

-----------------
17th of Malachite

The macedwarf Astesh completes her great work. A magnificient treasure is granted unto us this day!

Hmmph. I liked mine better.

-----------------
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:11:10 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2019, 08:48:37 pm »

I cannot help but wonder how Quasar feels about this. She seemed rather upset after her marriage two years ago.
And so new life blesses Cheesesplatter in the form of a baby girl, accompanied by a joyous cry of “WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM?!” from the new mother.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2019, 09:36:35 pm »

Question: are we producing all the food varieties yet?

Our output should include

•   grains
•   vegetables
•   fruits
•   nuts
•   fish
•   meat
   - preferably exotic varieties rather than plain ol' dog & horse meat. Get us some cage traps!
•   eggs
•   cheese
   - it's in the name, after all!
•   and honey.

Also, check the farms against the wiki (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Crops) and make sure we’re not wasting valuable planter time on any inedible crops. We can get cloth from wool and silk, we don't need any rope reed, ramie or jute.

I would say to include parchment, but even excluding all inefficiencies I think the bureaucracy would shudder at such a waste of writing material.

And so new life blesses Cheesesplatter in the form of a baby girl, accompanied by a joyous cry of “WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM?!” from the new mother.
I haven't finished the full study of said question, but I think it has something to do with this:
Spoiler: congratulations (click to show/hide)

Just a hypothesis for now.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2019, 07:47:25 am »

-----------------
24th of Malachite

Isolation is doing Blackchibisan some good, it seems. The last to bring him food say he has been praying to his god, and that the madness-light is fading from is eyes.

Also, he has stopped screaming death threats at us. This is good progress.

-----------------
1st of Galena

I am told another child is born today.

I would find the noise irritating, but I have been working far beneath the earth as of late. Here such things cannot disturb me.

Lordy informs me this latest birth raises our census to precisely 100 dwarves. This seems to me a significant number-- a most auspicious number.

Our settlement grows. Soon, it shall be strong.

-----------------
1st of Limestone

Autumn is come, and I am content. Work on the Project progresses with speed, and we have prepared much food for the trade.

My shift as overseer will end in three short months. I do not think I will complete all I would like in that time, but I shall have done worthy things all the same.

It is good.

-----------------
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:51:31 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22