Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 95269 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #345 on: May 28, 2019, 05:03:37 pm »

He has an interesting character, quite a bit of conflict but confident in himself nonetheless. I might roleplay as him a bit.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Dawnthunder: It *spat* at me!
« Reply #346 on: May 28, 2019, 08:51:24 pm »

13th of Granite, 1058

Work on our latest war project continues apace...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...interrupted only by brief killings of the undead.

I witnessed Deler's arm reanimate on the workshop floor, and I have since sealed the hole from which that rat crawled-- but these gorlaks! Whence these gorlaks? How do they penetrate our defenses? I do not know.

--------------------
As the cage-works progress, I recieve joyous news from the surface. The goblins have left us!

Only the undead now remain above. I am nearly sorry to see them go, for now we shall have only the walking corpses on which to test our traps and our cunning-- but now we shall have time, time to raise mighty works upon the surface world!

--------------------
18th of Granite, 1058

I wake to a blood-chilling cry.

"Forgotten beast!" shouts Oddom the wrestler. "Forgotten beast in the stockpiles!" I rush below, dreading the scene of horror that awaits me...

...and find nothing?

I approach Oddom, who stands over a stairway, terrified. She points down the stairway, which opens abruptly into a cavernous void: "There! See? Forgotten beast!"

Spoiler: 4 z-levels below... (click to show/hide)

"It spat at me!"

So here, then, is the mystery of the sneaking gorlaks! I mark the offending stairway to be sealed off, so that no more creeping abominations from below might frighten my fellow dwarves. I also resolve to have words with the idiot who put that stairway there.

--------------------
Oddom tells me that the idiot I seek was none other than Daedalus himself, and that he is dead now. She points me to the hole in which his body lies

. . .

and I shout angrily at his skeleton for awhile.

This does not make me feel better.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 03:43:14 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 28, 2019, 09:45:24 pm »

I would also like to be dorfed, thanx Superdorf, a part-time warrior armed with a large, copper serrated disc or some other trap component that might be available.

I'll be glad to! Only... how do I get a militia-dwarf to equip something that isn't a weapon?

After doing some research, I believe it is only an option in adventurer mode, not fortress mode.  Well, you can do it if you are willing to start a tantrum-spiral, so, I'm thinking it is not an option at present, better to go with a weapon more to the chosen dorf's preferences.

The way I did it before was to create an adventurer, get them a specific non-weapon to use, then retire the adventurer and start up fortress mode, hoping that they then migrate to the fortress.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 28, 2019, 10:45:22 pm »

That stairway might be why all those flying hungry heads werent pathing into the cleaners...

Also-- I noted that dwarves were walking through gear assemblies on my turn. I do not know if water wheels are passable. technically, the power plant might be a route into the fortress. I would treat it as a possible route of entry. (the sluice is fed from the cavern lake above.) 

The wiki did not have information on if water wheels were passable or not.  I know wells are passable, and clearly axles and gears are, but no idea on water wheels.

edit:
Did a test with gui/pathable, it seems to feel that water wheels are not pathable. I would still be suspicious though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:56:16 pm by wierd »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 29, 2019, 07:17:21 am »

Hey, random question... does anyone here know how much metal a boulder yields when melted? I'm considering processing some rusted metal in a weird way, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble...

klonk
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 29, 2019, 08:23:35 am »

Initial testing suggest the number is around .5 bars per boulder.

I will do testing on blocks:
Blocks are made in the forge, and cost 1 bar to 1 block.
Melt item on blocks returns 1 bar for 2 blocks. 50% loss.

Considering exploits?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 08:36:16 am by wierd »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 29, 2019, 08:37:23 am »

That stairway might be why all those flying hungry heads werent pathing into the cleaners...

Also-- I noted that dwarves were walking through gear assemblies on my turn. I do not know if water wheels are passable. technically, the power plant might be a route into the fortress. I would treat it as a possible route of entry. (the sluice is fed from the cavern lake above.) 

The wiki did not have information on if water wheels were passable or not.  I know wells are passable, and clearly axles and gears are, but no idea on water wheels.

edit:
Did a test with gui/pathable, it seems to feel that water wheels are not pathable. I would still be suspicious though.
i just viewed a tutorial vid on perpetual power generator and the two outer(brighter) blocks of the waterwheel are definitely passible, just as the bright block of the screw pump and windwheel.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 29, 2019, 08:38:11 am »

Sort of. Short swords yield 0.9 bars a pop, yes? So if I make the boulders into rock short swords before I melt 'em, I should be able to squeeze a wee bit more metal out of each one. It's not so exploity as a straight serrated-blade loop, but makes for a nice boost to our production if it works.

klonk
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 29, 2019, 08:39:36 am »

rock short sword specifically calls for obsidian?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 29, 2019, 08:42:58 am »

It calls for a rock suitable for making sharp blades with. Metal boulders work just as well as obsidian for that purpose-- maybe better!

I ran some testing on this during my last turn. Dwarves would haul rusted boulders to the craftsdwarf's for blade production just fine.

klonk
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 29, 2019, 08:45:03 am »

edit:
i just viewed a tutorial vid on perpetual power generator and the two outer(brighter) blocks of the waterwheel are definitely passible, just as the bright block of the screw pump and windwheel.

Thank you, good to know.  Is diagonal movement over that pathable area possible?

EG, my wheels are like thisL

Ow
*W
Ow

where O is wall, * is gear, and w is pathable waterwheel tile, and W is nonpathable.

It is open space below the wheel, with 2 levels of running water below that, at full depth. Should I abuse smoothed walls from the OTHER side, to make it impossible for climbers?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 29, 2019, 12:51:27 pm »

could help, but maybe find another way of blocking off any path through that section at all.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dawnthunder: Worrisome silence
« Reply #357 on: May 29, 2019, 02:03:30 pm »

1st of Slate, 1058

The cry of some long-forgotten monstrosity sounds in the deeps.

We of Dawnthunder have come to know the sound well. Such is the cry of the Beasts-Under-Earth, old as time. The Beasts are twisted and fell, and live only to kill. Our predecessors were wise to keep the caverns shut.
-------------------------
9th of Slate, 1050

A crash is heard in the caverns. That accursed Beast is after our machinery!

I ready myself for the worst, but shortly learn that the destroyed lever was outside our defenses.

Why did the Lithotech dwarves put it there? I do not know. I do not understand the ways of Lithotech dwarves.
If there were migrants coming to us, they would have arrived long before now. They will not come this season.

Perhaps the dwarves of the underdark simply fear to come this way. Perhaps this place no longer holds glory for them.

...Perhaps they are dead.
1st of Felsite

That Beast slew many of the undead in recent weeks, but now the sounds of titanic combat give way to silence.

I find this silence far more worrisome than the noise from before.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 03:45:18 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 29, 2019, 03:02:01 pm »

Well. This can only get more interesting.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 29, 2019, 03:02:34 pm »

easy on/off was a door.  It was outside the bridge, because it was built first, and the bridge after. You try building a bridge with zombies running at you. :P

Its purpose was as a faster means to turn off normal zombie flow than with the bridge.  The bridge is a failsafe. If I had not built the bridge, there would be a FB in there now. Arent you glad I made the bridge? :P

If you are that worried, you could turn on the automatic zombie eliminator--

I did a test earlier against an FB. It flattened it.

(It has mooshed quite a few very large creatures in fact. Several cave dragons at least.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 03:05:57 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32