Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 93901 times)

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: Born of chaos
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 02:06:31 pm »

Great job Superdorf!

Please dorf me as Iden Inkycried
Also, I'd like to retroactively say I was the one to say "Everything is awful"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 02:30:00 pm »

I hope you know you've set the bar way too high with those drawings, I know for a fact I can't match them
Of course. I'm just making those for the fun of it.

Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
It almost certainly is, and pretty soon you're gonna see exactly what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".  :D

Please dorf me as Iden Inkycried
Also, I'd like to retroactively say I was the one to say "Everything is awful"
Dorfed and retconned.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dawnthunder: Royalty, ravens, kaleidoscopic anthills
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 04:17:17 pm »

"That's... mph... the last one. Food's all in," said Vindcara, leaning on a food barrel to catch his breath. "Now what?"
"Hm," said Daedalus. "Atir, see anything nasty out there?"

"All is nasty," said Atir. "World is nasty. Earth is tainted. Grass is dying. Anthills are glowing." And indeed, a nearby anthill was at that moment putting on rather an impressive light show.

-->      -->   

"But also there are dead ravens flying through sky."

"Hm... dead ravens. D'you think you could kill a dead raven?" asked Daedalus.
"Dead raven is already dead."

"Pfft. Pacify. Could you pacify a dead raven," said Daedalus.

Atir grinned a manic grin. "Yes," she said. "That, I could do."

"Great," said Daedalus, a happy twist at the corner of his mouth. "Ladies and gent, we're going back up there. Grab as much wood and rock as you can, shove it anywhere there's room. Scourge, think you can keep up with the digging?"

Only the sound of crumbling smoke-rock met him in answer. Shrugging, Daedalus clambered out the hatch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Daedalus," said Olon while hauling rocks one morning, "a funny thing occurred to me the other night..."
"Mmph?" mumbled Daedalus from behind an especially large rock.

"Our civilization died centuries ago, right?"
"Mmph."
"So there's been no need for a queen, right?"
"Mmph."
"Buuut we're trying to start our civilization over again, right? You said it the other day-- "a new chapter of dwarven history."

"MmppfGNA." Daedalus set down his rock. "What are you trying to say?"

"We-e-ll, shouldn't a civilization have a queen to rule it?"
Daedalus frowned."We don't have a queen."
"Well, maybe we need a queen," said Olon.
"We don't need a queen," said Daedalus.
"Can I be queen?"

Daedalus thought about it a moment, then waved a hand. "Eh, sure. Knock yourself out. Just don't stop hauling rocks."

"Great!" said Olon, beaming. "I'm gonna go mandate something!" And she was gone.

Maybe that was a mistake, thought Daedalus, stumping off to grab another rock.

The next few weeks were busy ones. As the ravens circled overhead, the dwarves of Dawnthunder labored day and night to bring the supplies in, with Atir keeping watch and Scourge digging like a mad-dwarf to make room for it all. For all the rest of the month the dwarves hauled... and on the last day of Granite, the ravens took notice.

"Open hatch," said Atir, rapping on the wood. "Giant cardinals coming. Dead cardinals. I cannot fight."
"Giant cardinals? But... what about the ravens?"
"I pacify."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 04:27:02 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 04:33:15 pm »

I was hoping that the raws would be duplicated even more, as this world seems far too tame for this premise. Still, I will follow this series with interest, though I shall not participate, as I would surely just accidentally kill everyone. In the future, could I be dorfed as some kind of scholarly type? A bookkeeper or librarian or something like that would be good.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 06:19:52 pm »

The more duplicated the raws, the less stable the game tends to be. Screwing with just the materials is the safest bet for a succession fort. The exact reason, I'm not sure, but my guess is that the game doesn't care about such details until a fort or adventurer is actually being played.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 07:13:55 pm »

I will follow this series with interest, though I shall not participate, as I would surely just accidentally kill everyone. In the future, could I be dorfed as some kind of scholarly type? A bookkeeper or librarian or something like that would be good.
I am honored by your presence, good sir! I'll keep an eye out for a scholarly sort of dwarf. You could take Queen Olon if you like? She's our designated bookkeeper.

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dawnthunder: Your queen commands thee
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 07:32:27 pm »

With the hatch blocked, the dwarves set themselves to new tasks. While Scourge started digging lower to see what might lie below the smoke-rock, Dodok, Olon, and Daedalus set about constructing a few workshops from smokerock. The stuff was surprisingly easy to work with, what with its weighing next to nothing

and pretty soon the chamber began to take on a rather homely appearance.

4th of Slate, 1050

Just as Daedalus finished putting up the last shop, somebody tapped him on the shoulder. "Hm, what-- oh. Olon?"

Olon, queen of the dwarves, stood before Daedalus in all her majesty, looking... not very imperious, actually. She seemed downright giddy. "I've got it," she cried. "My mandate!"

"Your... mandate."

"My mandate," she said, nodding solemnly. "I was thinking and thinking, trying to think what our fortress will need most, and just now I thought of it!" Olon attempted a regal bearing. "Daedalus Stukononul, expedition leader of the White Hammer, your queen commands thee: make us some coffins!"

"Coffins."
Olon bounced a little. "Uh-huh!"

Daedalus pinched the bridge of his nose. "How many coffins?"
"Uhh... three of them. For now."
"Three coffins."
"Yeah!"

"...I'll see what I can do," said Daedalus, resigning himself to his fate. "Oi, Scourge! What sort of rock we got down there?"

A distant voice sounded from below. "Lessee... we got... wicked vapor rock... profane gloom rock... sphalerite... sphalerite... sphalerite... sphalerite... bismuthinite... sphalerite..."

"Wait, how much sphalerite is down there?"
"A lot," said Scourge.

"Is there... is there any *rock* down there?"
"Not really," said Scourge. "Lots of sphalerite though."

Daedalus sighed. "Keep digging."

Two days later, Scourge struck slate. Olon declared herself manager, broker, and bookkeeper in celebration.

7th of Slate, 1050
Tink... tink... tink... *SPLURCH*

"Yeah, I know."
"You know?"

"Sure," said Daedalus. "We're in a jungle. There was bound to be groundwater somewhere. I'm just surprised it took us this long to find it!"
"Well-- well how am I supposed to dig through it?"

"You don't!" cried Daedalus. "We have enough rock up here to last us, and we can start a farm with the water! Just start carving out somewhere to put the food down there-- things are getting a bit cramped, what with the workshops and all. Get a drink first, maybe? You look parched."

"...Fine," said Scourge. "But we're gonna have to pierce that thing sooner or later, so you had better figure something out."

"Trust me," said Daedalus, grinning. Scourge stumped off for the ale-barrels, a thunderous expression on her face.

klonk
Sigtext

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 08:29:07 pm »

Can I have a dwarf, please?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2019, 08:49:26 pm »

Sure, but if you don't mind I'd like to wait for a migrant wave first. Do you have any name/gender/profession/whatever preferences?

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dawnthunder: Dead horse, undead horse
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2019, 09:47:59 pm »

8th of Slate, 1050
Looking for something to do, Olon wandered over to the carpenter's workshop. "What's that?"

"Corkscrew," said Dodok, squinting as she etched a long spiral pattern into a log. "Daedalus wants stuff for a screw pump. Says we're gonna build a farm with it."

"Oh. How will we do that?"
"We'll pump the water up, I guess. Hey, did Daedalus kill those horses yet?"

From across the room, a confused horse uttered its last cry. "Bree-ee-ee?" *CRUNCH*

"Yes."

12th of Slate, 1050
Something smelly and soft and rustly crawled up behind Olon. Wheeling, she punched it reflexively.

"D-did... did you see that?"
Daedalus nodded. "We saw that. Best watch out, the other'll probably be crawling about too."
"Yeah. Yeah, it probably will," said Olon, a gleeful expression spreading across her face. "And we'll just give it a royal thrashing, won't we?"
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:07:28 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 11:50:01 pm »

Well, good to have that whole reanimating question cleared up.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 02:34:32 am »

Tangentially related, but, this is what DFhack believes the density of smokerock to be.

This is what DFhack thinks of the molar mass (in kg/mol, probably) of smokerock. Keep in mind, the molar mass of hydrogen molecules is around 2000 kg/mol, and the average molar mass of dry air is around 29000 kg/mol.

DFhack's drunk, it needs to go home.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 02:35:18 am »

Sure, but if you don't mind I'd like to wait for a migrant wave first. Do you have any name/gender/profession/whatever preferences?

No problem. Anything's fine, although I'd prefer male.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 02:46:09 am »

You could take Queen Olon if you like? She's our designated bookkeeper.

The queen? Well, that's quite the offer. I accept. The great scholar Solitarian shall bring us to victory... or be eaten by a weretree.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 05:06:09 am »

We could arguably make zinc hammers out of all that sphalerite... As well as zinc barrels/bins..  the issue is fuel at this point.

Also-- You *CAN* put the smoke boulders to use as something other than raw building material since jewelers can cut and encrust with it.  Its not worth a lot, but it builds the skill, and gets rid of the stuff.

I suggest creation of an atom smasher to effectively deal with the hair menace. Hair zombies are particularly difficult to put down by ordinary means.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32