Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 95521 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: Born of chaos
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 05:19:12 am »

There's nothing stopping you from breaching all three cavern layers to get to the magma, no? It's just that, taking that route could kill the fort six ways from Sunday. Keywords include "megabeast", "reanimating biome", "zombiefied wildlife", and "accidental flooding". But you know, apart from that, "perfectly" "good" plan.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 05:30:35 am »

Now now now..

I was not meaning "mass processing" here, more "A single hammer dwarf is a singe point of failure", and getting say, 3 to 4 more hammers (which should be quite doable with some wood to use as fuel) would be very beneficial at some near to future point.

Also, doesn't double-slit still work?  (also, max-subregions is turned to max. This means there is a good chance the aquifer could be simply bypassed by looking for an edge.)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 06:25:56 am »

Alright, that puts the maximum number of logs needed at 8 (smelting 4 zinc bars to make 4 war hammers). Not exactly the end of the world, I can't see any major problems with that plan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 08:50:14 am »

Ptw
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 10:08:21 am »

Can I be dorfed? I'd like one of the peasants* of the next migration wave, preferably male.
*If not available, the least skilled. If that's not available, the dumbest.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 12:07:17 pm »

Tangentially related, but, this is what DFhack believes the density of smokerock to be.

This is what DFhack thinks of the molar mass (in kg/mol, probably) of smokerock. Keep in mind, the molar mass of hydrogen molecules is around 2000 kg/mol, and the average molar mass of dry air is around 29000 kg/mol.

DFhack's drunk, it needs to go home.
Ahh that's hilarious. This stuff is so broken.
We could arguably make zinc hammers out of all that sphalerite... As well as zinc barrels/bins..  the issue is fuel at this point.

Also-- You *CAN* put the smoke boulders to use as something other than raw building material since jewelers can cut and encrust with it.  Its not worth a lot, but it builds the skill, and gets rid of the stuff.

I suggest creation of an atom smasher to effectively deal with the hair menace. Hair zombies are particularly difficult to put down by ordinary means.

No problem. Anything's fine, although I'd prefer male.
Alright then.

The queen? Well, that's quite the offer. I accept. The great scholar Solitarian shall bring us to victory... or be eaten by a weretree.
Queen Solitarian it is!

We could arguably make zinc hammers out of all that sphalerite... As well as zinc barrels/bins..  the issue is fuel at this point.
You can make hammers out of zinc? Cool! I might just, though I'm a little reluctant to burn potential aquifer-piercing supplies...

Also-- You *CAN* put the smoke boulders to use as something other than raw building material since jewelers can cut and encrust with it.  Its not worth a lot, but it builds the skill, and gets rid of the stuff.
Noted. It's kinda fun building stuff with it, though... such bright happy colors!

I suggest creation of an atom smasher to effectively deal with the hair menace. Hair zombies are particularly difficult to put down by ordinary means.
Hm, yes, either that or magma. I'd prefer magma.

There's nothing stopping you from breaching all three cavern layers to get to the magma, no? It's just that, taking that route could kill the fort six ways from Sunday. Keywords include "megabeast", "reanimating biome", "zombiefied wildlife", and "accidental flooding". But you know, apart from that, "perfectly" "good" plan.
We will breach that aquifer, and we will dig down to magma, come what may. It's just a matter of time.

Now now now... I was not meaning "mass processing" here, more "A single hammer dwarf is a singe point of failure", and getting say, 3 to 4 more hammers (which should be quite doable with some wood to use as fuel) would be very beneficial at some near to future point.
Hm, point taken. If I can't breach the aquifer in a timely fashion, I'll look into some wood-burning.

Also, doesn't double-slit still work?  (also, max-subregions is turned to max. This means there is a good chance the aquifer could be simply bypassed by looking for an edge.)
I'm pretty sure I combed the whole world for an embark-spanning aquifer... soo, I'll be using this method to pierce the thing straight through the middle.

Can I be dorfed? I'd like one of the peasants* of the next migration wave, preferably male.
Sure. I usually draft such dorfs into the military-- would you rather yours remain a civilian?

Today's going to be busy, especially with the snow to clean up. I'll try and put up an update at some point or other, but... no promises.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 12:13:17 pm »

(quick google says no, DF does not let you make pure zinc weapons, which is silly; it has similar working properties to pure copper, and a similar mass) 

Oh well.  If you find any copper, you can turn it into heavier bronze at least.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 01:36:18 pm »

Can i join?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 03:05:34 pm »

Can i join?
Sure, welcome aboard! I'll put you on the turnlist.

So I've been wondering... do we want a new thread title? The current one's just a placeholder, really.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:08:10 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 03:53:49 pm »

Sure. I usually draft such dorfs into the military-- would you rather yours remain a civilian?
Do whatever you want with them. It's probably inefficient to train their skills up from scratch.

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 04:26:23 pm »

I eagerly anticipate the gruesome death of my regal dwarf.

So I've been wondering... do we want a new thread title? The current one's just a placeholder, really.

Yes! The title should definitely reflect the peculiarity of this game's duplicated raws. Here are some suggestions.

Dawnthunder: duplicator of raws
Dawnthunder: menaces with spikes of duplicated raws
Dawnthunder: double raws, double fun
Dawnthunder: !!duplicated raws!!
Dawnthunder: Duplicatedraws the Death of Dying

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 04:36:04 pm »

I have one suggestion, but it's a bad joke:
Dawnthunder: smokerock's one hell of a drug.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 05:02:35 pm »

I have one suggestion, but it's a bad joke:
Dawnthunder: smokerock's one hell of a drug.
That is a truly terrible joke. I love it.  :D

So consensus seems to be we do indeed need a new title. The more suggestions we have for this before we pick, the better.

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 05:21:47 pm »

15th of Slate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The food stockpile was plenty big enough for now, so Scourge decided to scout out the area around the aquifer a little bit. Just as she was getting into a rhythm, her pick lodged in something. She pulled on it, and--

"What?"
"It's exactly that, The cavern is the aquifer."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"There's some slate, and then wet sand all the way to the bottom. And you know what that means?" asked Scourge, grinning. "We don't have to touch it! We can just build straight through and keep going!"

"That's... but that's wonderful!" cried Daedalus. "Everybody, grab some smokerock and get down there!" And with that, Daedalus grabbed a chunk of the stuff himself and charged down the stairs hoisting it triumphantly over his head.

And so it went for the next several days. The dwarves of Dawnthunder scurried up and down, up and down, hauling smokerock down into the caverns while Scourge dug below, carving through rock like a dwarf possessed. Soon she'd cracked open another two caverns, and was forced to stop while the others built stairways down.

20th of Slate

Another day, another block. The dwarves had run out of smokerock, and so Daedalus took a block of slate with him as he descended into the caverns. He stopped at the opening to the third cavern, taking a moment to admire the wondrous expanse below him. Layers of phyllite gave way to magnificient columns of petrified wood, which yielded in turn to white marble and-- wait.

Was that...?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Daedalus danced onto the workshop floor, spinning with his arms spread wide. "Divine metal!" he cried. "Metal of the gods! Metal sublime! Oh joy! Oh rapture! Oh-- Olon! How goes the pot-making?"

"Great!" said Olon. "My name's not Olon though!"
"What?"

"My name's not Olon," said not-Olon. "I changed it!"
"...You've been Olon all the years I've known you."

"But all the years you've known me," said not-Olon patiently, "I wasn't a queen. Now I am! And a new queen should have a new name!"
"Ah," said Daedalus. "So... what's your new name?"

"Solitarian," said Solitarian.

"My name is Solitarian. And as your newly named queen, I command thee: make me three pair of boots."
"What?"

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:31:52 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: It is encircled with bands of smokerock
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 07:17:14 pm »

Hopefully that rusted metal can be processed somehow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32