Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 95530 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2019, 02:57:24 am »

Confirmed, we still have a guinea cock and a guinea hen.  We can spin that into a pastureless food source.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2019, 03:16:02 am »

I checked the DF wiki, and it turns out that guineafowl are useless for leather and bone. There's a breeding pair of horses, so it's not like we're completely screwed.
Is taming draltha children a viable way of getting a stable source of leather and bone?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2019, 03:20:11 am »

Wiki seems to think so. Says their products are worth 3X normal domestic critter materials.  However, they are huge grazers, so you will need a pasture for them.  They also are "very dangerous" to dwarves, so undead versions after butchery could be a problem.

(guinea fowl are at least  harmless)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 03:24:09 am by wierd »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2019, 03:33:33 am »

Ah. Reanimating biomes threw me off. This plan became much less viable after I realized that zombie draltha will kill living draltha, potentially kicking off a chain-reaction of death and zombiefication that ends in the fort's demise.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2019, 03:47:36 am »

We also have a boar and a sow.  That is also pasture-less food, that gives leather and bone.

We also have some alpaca calves that are appropriate genders. With a pasture, that is reliable wool source.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2019, 11:32:17 am »

I could have sworn that we had plump helmet wine..... unless the time where the bookkeeper wasn't actually working had something to do with that.... my turn was a disaster.....

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2019, 11:48:23 am »

There weren't any orders to brew drink, so that in itself was a bad sign.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2019, 12:39:57 pm »

There weren't any orders to brew drink, so that in itself was a bad sign.
See, during my turn there was no need for constant brewing, so I would just order up individual batches of the stuff, as we needed it. So there weren't any running orders for brewing, so... yeah. Sludgehole.

I could have sworn that we had plump helmet wine..... unless the time where the bookkeeper wasn't actually working had something to do with that.... my turn was a disaster.....
Your turn was spectacular.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2019, 12:41:40 pm »

I am now itching to set this place right again...  Maybe if we get declared a death trap, migrants will stop coming, and we can focus on the infrastructure more.

Blackchibisan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2019, 07:27:13 pm »

Look, guys, I'm just saying if we convert our justice system to drowning chambers and create a pit to wash the corpses into, we can drop our foes into the undead pit and they will either make the pit better or be destroyed. Make the reanimation work for us... by carving slabs and weaponizing our dead. You know, the dwarven way!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2019, 09:02:29 pm »

Look, guys, I'm just saying if we convert our justice system to drowning chambers and create a pit to wash the corpses into, we can drop our foes into the undead pit and they will either make the pit better or be destroyed. Make the reanimation work for us... by carving slabs and weaponizing our dead. You know, the dwarven way!
That's a stupid dwarf trick and a half. High-risk, high-reward, just like Armok intended.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2019, 09:26:59 pm »

Ehh, fine. But only if there's a magma-cleanser built in; we don't want this thing to get out of hand on us.

klonk
Sigtext

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2019, 06:18:59 pm »

Just letting people know that I'm still alive. I was on a trip until yesterday, but I should have my first journal entry up sometime later tonight or early tomorrow.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2019, 07:13:29 pm »

Woohoo!

I await your journal report with both dread and gleeful anticipation.  :D

klonk
Sigtext

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2019, 10:25:00 pm »

sorry for the wait. Also: playing a character, sorry if anyone takes offence.
-------------------------------------------

Likot was not happy. Not in the slightest.
Her husband, kogan, tried to brain her with his hammer again.
She dodged.
Yep, definitely not happy, and it was about damned time she did something about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was clear that the old leadership was incompetent. They'd gotten over half themselves killed for crying out loud! So when queen Solitarian got herself knocked off, I decided to speak up.
"Hey!" I said. "In case anyone hasn't noticed, our beloved seven leaders have been reduced down to three!" There were some murmurings at this.
"I figure that all the deaths started when my husband stepped down and the original seven were put back in charge! Clearly, we need some new leadership from outside that group, and seeing as Kogan and I are now two of only seven dwarves remaining from those who arrived within the first year of settlement, I think it should be me! Any objections?"
FakerFangirl - I mean Urvadkulet - raised her hand.
"Faker you better put your hand down or I'm gonna shove your head down that stupid water hole we have instead of a well."
"Oh yeah... Why didn't we ever set up a well there?" said a dwarf.
"Yeah! I'm tired of kneeling down and drinking water from my hands!" said another dwarf.
FakerFangirl put her hand down.
"Good! now bring me the reports, I have work to do."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First things first, Likast reviewed an overview of the fortress:

Egads! Likast knew that there was a drink shortage, the lack of any alcohol certainly hadn't gone unnoticed, but she at least thought there must have been some decent reason for it! Rather, it seems no one had simply bothered to put in the order for it! Well that stopped right here. Likast set down an order to make more drinks whenever they got scarce

Next, she amended the standing orders posted in the main hall a bit. There were far too many bodies lying about.

There were some mutterings about this not being worth the effort since orders needed to be given whenever a lever, such as the atom smashing lever, was to be pulled, it was dwarven tradition after all. Luckily, Likast had a plan for a more automatic solution, which wouldn't require violating dwarven tradition. It just needed a deep enough pit...

While she was at that, she also ordered a new mine to be dug above the magma sea, her predecessors had been far too cautious.

Next, she set up some down time in the training schedule. Nosim knew she was sick of non stop training, and so were the others in her squad.

Finishing up, she put in the order for that well to finally be built before going on a tour to inspect the forts construction.

Overall, she thought the state of things wasn't too bad... the areas near the surface bothered her a bit, what with the seemingly useless, drawbridge cordoned off tunnels and the sealed second floor to the surface structure, but things were probably fine for now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Satisfied, she went back to her new office.

That's when she heard the news.

Asmel... Her dear, beautiful, little boy...
She sen't everyone away. She needed to be alone for a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32