Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 93878 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2019, 02:51:09 am »

It is very tempting to just use exterminate to get rid of the undead, but that's not very fun.

No, my plan for getting rid of the undead is vaguely similar to this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIDUGZpaSHo&t=1m40s

"The Cleaners" :D

We use a closed loop track with a heavy minecart (Bismuth bronze is the heaviest metal we have at the moment), loaded with heavy boulders or bars, (So that it has huge kinetic impact potential), set it on highest possible speed with powered rollers shoving it down the track, and then bait undead onto the trackway to get plastered.

Not sure if kitten on leash will be sufficient or not, but we'll see.

To drive the rollers I need a power source, which is why I need to slog through getting the power plant working.

(If we get the caverns emptied, we can expand the minecart track to travel THROUGH the caverns, fully automated! Let it just go round and round and round, killing everything it hits.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:56:58 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 21, 2019, 02:34:58 am »

OK, Work on this run resumes...

Progress is slow and painful at 6fps...

We now have some donkey tallow soap. Not a whole lot, but it's more than zero bars.

Hopefully this will alleviate the issue with the hospital suffering from infected wounds.

I have decided on a kind of kludgy implementation of "the cleaners."

Several Z below this section of the mining district, the sluiceway runs.

I can install water wheels at that level, and several vertical axles, to give raw power to the rollers on that short section of cart track, without implementing the full power plant. This should let me expedite the undead removal process.

Hopefully.

As noted above, we have lots of bismuth bars.  We also have lots of copper armor in the form of goblinite outside...

I am thinking I will do something about that siege, and collect said goblinite for processing.  I can use it to make bismuth bronze for more hammers, and for very heavy minecarts.

Scratch that-- Solid copper it is, since we dont have a source of tin. :(  I will load it with bismuth bars.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:03:47 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 23, 2019, 01:20:50 am »

GAWD this is SOOOOOO SLOOOOW....

I have spent several whole real days, and am barely into month 3!!

ERRRRG.  Can I get a turn extension because of how painful the FPS is?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 23, 2019, 01:22:37 am »

What's the framerate measured in? Seconds per frame?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 23, 2019, 01:45:57 am »

The sad part?

I did a test to see where the FPS drain was, and it is the pathing for all the undeads trying to find their way into the fortress.

One little [exterminate] and the problem is solved!! ERRRG.

Instead, I am having to watch painfully as my dwarves dilly dally around doing whoopity woo in the commons area, while THE CLEANERS sits half finished...

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 23, 2019, 02:50:26 am »

I see no problem with granting an extension, though I also think that using dfhack here is acceptable.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 23, 2019, 03:42:13 am »

Good.  That makes me happier!

In other good news, the cleaners is like 90% completed. All the rollers are in, I have 3 minecarts and 3 routes on the same track defined, and they are loading up bismuth bars. (Slowly)  One of the karts is most of the way full already.  Since THE WHOLE TRACK is powered, collisions should not stop the carts.

When all of them are loaded, this should be a pretty deadly little go-kart track.

I am going to install a chained animal as bait as well, but here's an updated view of "The Cleaners".

The access corridor snaking its way around the top has a floodgate to seal it off. I will install some doors in the hallways as well for flow control, since we can abuse the "locked" status to contain the zombie apocalypse into batches.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:44:47 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 23, 2019, 07:22:31 am »

HUZZAH!!

The Cleaners is now ACTIVE, and appears to be working!!

Observe!

MUAHAHAHAHAH

Now i just sit back and let the 4000+ urist minecarts full of otherwise worthless bismuth bars do their thing!

The aparatus works by using a single blue peacock on a leash at a point past the smasher (zombies must path to the peacock through the cart smasher hallway), and is otherwise completely sealed off from the fortress, making this a no muss fix.

If a cart gets stuck, the other one moving through the system will collide with it, and send it moving again, where it will then interact with a powered roller, and rocket off again. It has already eliminated a few zombies, as you can see. :P

The double doors on the entrance can be set to locked to prevent further influx if needed.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 23, 2019, 07:43:04 am »

You got The Cleaners working in under a year? Damn. If that's what you pull off in a succession fort, I'm eager to see what happens in your own forts.

I salute and applaud you, both at the same time.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 23, 2019, 07:52:59 am »

The zombie cave dragon is proving most difficult to terminate.  Most of the zombies die after at most 3 passes, but this guy has endured quite a few collisions.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 23, 2019, 07:54:06 am »

ERRRRG.  Can I get a turn extension because of how painful the FPS is?
Absolutely.

Also, your mechanical death-machine is a thing of beauty. :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 23, 2019, 07:55:41 am »

Sadly the cave dragon managed to derail one of the carts, so I am having to shutdown for maintenance.  However, initial testing is quite positive!!

I will wait for cart 3 to be fully loaded, then restart!

---

Hey, where was the bismuthinite mined?  I am in need of MOAR bismuth bars for deathcart #3.  (Fully loaded, the copper carts weigh 5000 urists! Bismuth is the heaviest stuff we have, and without tin, is quite useless to us in any other capacity-- I still love that my death machine managed to mangle an undead dragon though!)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:22:07 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 23, 2019, 09:21:44 am »

NM, I found it.

I have loaded cart 3 with vastly inferior lignite boulders. It should still be useful to keep the heavier carts moving around corners though should they stall.  I have corrected the defect that permitted a cart to be derailed-- I think.

Cleaners reactivated, zombies inbound. Testing resumes!

The boulders are NOT heavy enough to stay inside cart 3 as it circuits the track. It does however, suffice to keep carts careening around corners.

The cleaners is being very efficient; It has removed over 50 zombies already.  Time to label some levers before I forget.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:38:13 am by wierd »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 23, 2019, 10:48:11 am »

Of Corpses and Dwarven Engineering: A DF Treatise.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 25, 2019, 05:22:07 am »

So uhm...

The number of mangled bodies in the cleaners is getting to absurd proportions...  Whoever comes next, needs to think about what to do with it all.

It's producing obscene amounts of miasma, to the point where it is hard to judge if the unit is still operating or not.

ALSO

Discovery!  If you just DROP a minecart onto a powered track (such as via dumping via a zone) it will move!  I have used this to add several aluminium carts to the cleaning unit.  It mangles corpses real good.

---

Merchants finally arrived, and made it inside.  I notice that our "Mountain home" has access to several divine metals we dont have.  I requested bars, blocks, and boulders. We can melt the last two to get more of the first. 

---

A forgotten beast with fire breath is nuking the zombies queued up to enter the smasher!! Emergency bridges up.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:01:36 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32