Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 93866 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2019, 08:45:27 am »

(loud stream of expletives)

The game crashed.  Lost HOURS of play.

I had killed over 800 zombies too! BLAAAAARRRGH

Oh well...

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 25, 2019, 09:30:16 am »

Gahh, that's awful. You're doing some really good work with that grinder, too... :-\
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 25, 2019, 09:32:40 am »

Did you at least save right after The Cleaners was finished? Or do you have to redo the entire thing?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 25, 2019, 09:38:45 am »

It was right after finishing the cleaners that I dropped a manual save.

Now I have to slog through killing zombies again, and micromanaging the fortress access door. (Sometimes the zombies lose interest in the peacock, and I have to sweeten the impetus to path into the fortress (through the killing machine).

Sadly, the dwarves detect the open door as well, and decide to go put uncle urist's socks into his coffin for him, and want to path through the death machine as well, so I have to be right there to forbid the door again before they can get there.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 25, 2019, 10:25:59 am »

(loud stream of expletives)

The game crashed.  Lost HOURS of play.

I had killed over 800 zombies too! BLAAAAARRRGH

Oh well...
one of the reasons i suggested the feature of weekly autosaves - which was rejected :(
did you mark the death machine as restricted traffic area?
also PTW.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:30:39 am by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 25, 2019, 10:43:02 am »

Yes. Death machine is restricted at max penalty-- Idiots STILL want to walk in it.

(How I imagine them thinking:)
"But UNCLE URIST!! His SOCKS are in there!! He would WANT me to bury his socks!! MUST GET SOCKS!!!!"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 25, 2019, 10:44:03 am »

Hm. Forbid everything in the caverns? Apply burrows and military alerts?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 25, 2019, 11:44:44 am »

Yes. Death machine is restricted at max penalty-- Idiots STILL want to walk in it.

(How I imagine them thinking:)
"But UNCLE URIST!! His SOCKS are in there!! He would WANT me to bury his socks!! MUST GET SOCKS!!!!"
oh, now i got it: uncle urist is a dead undead in that machine and they want to properly bury him?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 25, 2019, 11:48:14 am »

No...

There were... Incidents... with previous overseers.  there are a lot of... Mangled dwarves... in the cavern system.

They want to bury THOSE dwarves.  I have been VERY careful not to let any dwarves into the death machine with it active.  Instead, I have dropped walls in strategic places in that layer of the mine to complicate pathing, and buy me more time with the door open to lure zombies with.

Removing a good chunk of the zombie intake hall from the INDOORS burrow has accomplished a whole lot of nothing. They STILL want to go for uncle urist's socks.

--

Ok, it's noon, which is my bedtime.  I have managed to trawl from 1300+ zombies to around 915 zombies once again. That's over 400 smashed so far. It is late in month 7. I saved.

I will sleep.  I will not be able to play again tonight, because I work, and with how much I have to micromanage this damned door to keep the zombie flesh shuffling into the cleaners, there is no way I can play at work. My residents have to come first.

HOWEVER, I get the very next day off. I will play all night then, like I did tonight. Hopefully there won't be any more game crashes.  However, we now have a saved checkpoint with 400 dead zombies and zero dwarven fatalities! WEE!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 12:08:16 pm by wierd »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 25, 2019, 12:50:14 pm »

I will sleep.  I will not be able to play again tonight, because I work, and with how much I have to micromanage this damned door to keep the zombie flesh shuffling into the cleaners, there is no way I can play at work. My residents have to come first.
I probably should have done this when it was my turn

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 25, 2019, 10:22:26 pm »

this is incredible. i might want to take a stab at this, although i'm not sure how well it would work on my machines... still, if you can get the zombies down to a manageable level that would def help.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 26, 2019, 06:25:59 am »

OK. Shift over.

Smooshening resumes until noon. That's 6hrs from now.

So, Superdwarf-- If I eliminate the zombie infestation, do you want your turn after I am done?

If so, what do you intend to do with all the corpses? We have truly epic numbers of teeth in there. We could run several whole turns running an ivory industry on what is in this thing!
While certainly NOT all of it is teeth, we have over 8000 body parts on hand now.

(Just a heads up, not all of the struck down zombies are properly mangled, some are just mutilated, and will rise again. I suggest leaving it running for awhile after, just to be sure.)

Also-- WEE!

When I started this on my big computer at home (because the 6fps on my i5 laptop was just too painful) I was getting 9fps. I am now up to 15fps! :D  The cleaners is doing very nice work here.

Since the FPS is now actually at what I consider playable levels, I will see about laying out at least the initial portion of the power plant. It's only month 8, I have some time still.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 06:37:27 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 26, 2019, 07:44:16 am »

Now under 700 zombies.  FPS continues to improve.

Foolish undead, thinking you could win via FPS death! Your logarithmic growth curve is no match for the shear power of my dwarven engineering! MUAHAHAH

---

It is now nearing the end of month 9.  under 600 zombies remain!  The "Designate and see" approach for the power plant has borne fruit, Despite spending all my time micro-managing the doors to the zombie abattoir, Half of the planned power plant is complete. While not hooked to anything, it should be producing ~2400 power in total at the moment, and we can expand this by this much again at least on just the easily accessible arm of the sluice.  If you guys can't power an industry and minecart network on that, you have something wrong with you.

FPS is nearing the 20 mark.  15-17 with the gate to the caverns open. (Up from a remarkable TWO FPS when I started this project!)

----

WOW. The game sent us a truly ENORMOUS siege!  3 whole pages of beak dogs, and just as many more goblins, trolls, and ogres! WOW. Guess this is what happens when you get rid of all the undead clogging up the unit cap! (I estimate they sent over 200 units, given that my OTHERS list went from just under 600 units, to over 800 just like that...)

Needless to say, I will NOT be attending to this. They can stay outside forever for all I care.

But it sure looks like we have their attention now. :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:37:08 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 26, 2019, 09:43:48 am »

OK.

It is now 11-25.  Turn is ALMOST over.

there are ~400 zombies left, and most seem less than interested in pathing to the fortress. Most are flying hungry heads.

I have a question:

It takes time to shut down the cleaners, since there is no track stop. The carts have to run out of kinetic energy from the friction of the track alone, after you disable the power.

Whoever is playing next:  Do you want me to shut down the cleaners?  I will leave the game paused until I get a response.

---

OK, I have saved at this point.  I am gonna play something else for awhile until people wake up. :P  I still have all night tonight off, so I can DEFINITELY finish the turn tonight.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:04:08 am by wierd »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 26, 2019, 10:19:31 am »

I am probably going to have to skip my turn, as I don't micromanage very well...
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32