Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 93896 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #315 on: May 26, 2019, 10:26:02 am »

You should not have to.  The undead scourge (hehe) has been dealt with sufficiently that it will take awhile for them to rebuild their numbers sufficiently to cause FPS problems again.  Most are clustered in a single corner of the cavern.

(also, Now that we have this horrible device to process them with, they are now a useful natural resource for teeth, horns, and the like.)

I made alterations to the design of the cleaners slightly when I took it down for maintenance early on; I installed some "Hard OFF!" bridges linked to levers, in addition to the "Easy shutoff" doors. If I shut down the cleaners, I will close those as well. The cavern creatures will not be able to path, even with invader types (like gremlins), or building destroyer types (like Trolls).

With the rollers inactive, the carts will just sit there on the track. They are currently forbidden, due to my exploitation of temporary dump zones to place them efficiently.

This would let you manage the fortress however you like; You would not have to worry about dwarves being fixated on burying dearly departed Uncle Urist's socks with him.

I am asking about this, because this thing is-- BY DESIGN--  Immensely dangerous.  It could slaughter an entire fortress in seconds if not properly managed! (Imagine the spiral of death-item seeking!! EEEK!)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:38:10 am by wierd »

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 26, 2019, 10:54:32 am »

I shan't have another turn, as I would certainly misunderstand all the machinery and bungle things. If I had another turn, it would end poorly. But perhaps that's what you want.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 26, 2019, 11:17:04 am »

I have labeled the levers.  "CLEANERS ON/OFF" is pretty clear, I think.  As is "Maintenance Gate ON/OFF", "Zombie Intake ON/OFF" and "Bait ON/OFF"

The double, redundant doors that lead into the cleaners (that I have been using to goad zombies into the fortress, and are the source of the micromanagment I have been referring to) I will name something appropriately scary like "DANGER! DEATH INSIDE!" or something.

If you don't know how to run it, don't turn it on. Just leave it for me to run again, I don't mind!  It is perfectly harmless as long as you dont turn it on, or open the zombie intake while it is offline, or while the maintenance gate is open.

Hell, I have a whole month yet-- (at end of month 11, not 12)-- I could dismantle it by parking the minecarts in a storage, if you feel that put off.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:19:12 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 26, 2019, 12:45:27 pm »

You know what? :P

I will make a manual!

Lithotech Industries* Autonomous Zombie Pacification Unit, MK-II
---User Manual

(* A division of Urist and Son LLC.)

(page break)

Thank you for your purchase of a Lithotech Autonomous Zombie Pacification Unit! 

This easy to use mechanical marvel is the latest innovation in automated fortress security, and provides easy to use invader and undead abomination removal for the discerning fortress administrator!  Our industry certified installation team will evaluate your fortress for suitable placement and power delivery for you! No need to plan messy DIY implementations, We do the work, so you don't have to!

To begin, let's get an overview of how the MK-II cleaning unit ("The Cleaners") operates!

Pictured below is an example installation from a REAL fortress, battling an overwhelming infestation of undead cavern dwelling horrors.

In the following slides, we will briefly go over the many amazing design and convenience features of this marvel of dwarven engineering!

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 26, 2019, 04:39:10 pm »

sure, put me down for a turn. i'd love to take a stab at this. quick question, what does PTW mean?

[edit] actually hold on i've never run a world with that much history lemme try with an earlier save first.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 04:50:02 pm by nezclaw »
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 26, 2019, 05:00:49 pm »

PTW means Post(ing) to Watch. The "Show new replies to your posts." page only shows threads that you've posted at least once in, hence why you'll see "PTW" thrown around here and there. Most of the time, it means "I'm just here to watch, not participate."

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 26, 2019, 05:37:23 pm »

ah groovy. i tested and it does indeed run just fine.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 26, 2019, 07:58:22 pm »

I... I am in awe.

Sure, I'll give my turn a shot. Thank you for this.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2019, 10:23:04 pm »

sure, put me down for a turn. i'd love to take a stab at this.
Consider yourself turnlisted! You're pretty far down the list tho, so... uh, take all the time you like to play with saves and whatnot.
---------------------------------
Everyone, completely unrelated question: do we want a Quotes section in the OP?

klonk
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 27, 2019, 02:08:49 am »

OK, I have decided that I will "Shut it off", but will not dismantle it (by parking the minecarts.)

Then I can finish this turn and let the next guy have a crack.  Superdorf skipped his turn because of the FPS issue, which I fixed-- I would like to give it to him.

--

Hmm.. Every time I turn off the death carts, little bits of mutilated (but not mangled yet) corpses get up. I guess I need to let it run awhile.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 02:38:37 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 27, 2019, 03:21:01 am »

Ok, here's the year 8 end save.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/download.php?id=14391&f=glitchfortress.zip

The unit is currently "turned off" but the carts are still moving.  I have locked all the doors on the collision chamber, since I am unsure if all the corpses inside are properly mangled. (Some may still just be mutilated, and rise again.)

If you need to turn it back on, you know which lever to pull. 

Good luck, and please do something about the miasma. It's hard to judge efficient operation of the unit with all that gunk in there.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 27, 2019, 11:49:12 am »

Righto, picking up the save now!

klonk
Sigtext

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 27, 2019, 12:03:09 pm »

yes

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 27, 2019, 12:38:17 pm »

yes
Good enough for me. I set aside a couple extra posts for exactly this sort of purpose when we started this fort; I've designated one for quote purposes.
We are now accepting nominations for the Quotes section! If you see something you like, point it out and I'll put it in!

In other thread-related housekeeping news, I've updated the OP dorflist. If you want a dorfing, let me know! Here's the current citizen list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

klonk
Sigtext

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 27, 2019, 12:51:08 pm »

Name that messenger after me.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32