Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 93877 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #360 on: May 30, 2019, 08:25:30 pm »

could station the hammerdwarves outside the cleaners to maul the rest of the corpses that weren't taken care of by the carts, and maybe set up a butchers shop to process the fresher mangled corpses. might still have some crundle scale to deal with tho. also where the hell is the hospital? and how do you reload the cleaners?
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Dawnthunder: Squawking birds
« Reply #361 on: May 31, 2019, 08:07:31 pm »

------------------------
20th of Felsite, 1050

The crafting folk have excelled lately; their work is truly masterful.

I did not realize this 'Dingus' fellow was a stonemaster! It seems he can wield a chisel as well as he wields a hammer.

------------------------
The Lithotech machine has been making some strange noises as of late. If I didn't know better, I'd say the thing was squawking like a bird--

Oh.

...Far be it from me to question the ways of Lithotech dwarves.

------------------------
1st of Hematite, 1050

I am told summer has arrived upon the surface world.

Down here, I'd never have noticed.

I and my fellow miners have wrought great excavations this spring, according to the designs of Shorast. The mechanics and the stonemasons have labored with us; our combined efforts have borne wondrous fruit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The mechanics are just hooking up the final bridge-levers now; soon, the access gates and locks will be fully operational. From there, completing the traphall will simply be a matter of laying down ever more traps-- and while the mechanics lay cages, we miners will prepare the casing for Shorast's second design: a mighty pump apparatus, with which we shall belch forth molten rock upon the surface world.

That, I think, will be well worth the effort.
------------------------
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 03:46:24 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dawnthunder: A tantrum; a traphall
« Reply #362 on: June 01, 2019, 09:40:14 pm »

-----------------------------
1st of Hematite, 1050

Horrors! The madness is upon us once more!

I hastily arrange the excavation of a quarantine block. There is no stopping a mad-dwarf in high blood-fury, but we can perhaps ensure that no further damage is done should Momuz tantrum again.

2nd of Hematite, 150

This time, we are fortunate. Momuz the mad-dwarf vents her blood-fury upon a hapless llama, and so we her fellow dwarves remain unharmed.

Nevertheless, I order all miners to focus their efforts upon completing the quarantine block. We must not allow Momuz to become a danger to we who are sane.
8th of Hematite, 150

The miners work quickly; the haulers follow quickly after. In a very few days, Momuz's isolation chamber is complete; Momuz is hastily ordered in and the doors shut behind her.

Before we locked the door, we saw Momuz praying in her bedroom, offering supplication to Tobul Earthenmoss, Lady of the Gem.

Perhaps there is hope for Momuz yet.
9th of Hematite, 150

Today there is cause for rejoicing. It is time at last to test the traphalls!

On the face of it, little has changed here since the spring-- but the mechanics have been busy, and the bridges now conceal wondrous machinery within.

I decide first to test the line of access bridges that allow our mechanics to easily traverse the traphall.

I order the lever pulled...

...and in unison the bridges raise! Excellent! Now for the other bridges, the traplock bridges that seal off the corridors entirely...

Ah! They raise as one! Wonderful!

I will have to perform further testing on certain of the other levers, but I am well pleased with the function of these the primaries. Now the mechanics shall lay cages innumerable, and we miners shall see about carving the casing for that "magma stack" of Shorast's.
11th of Hematite, 1050

I checked in with Momuz today.

Our swift treatment is doing wonders for her mental health; she looks to be making a speedy recovery. It would seem she really did just need a few days off-duty, a few days to pray to her gods.

I will let Momuz remain in her new quarters a little while longer, I think. The rest is doing her good.
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 03:48:18 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 02, 2019, 12:54:48 am »

i took an early dawnthunder save, retired, and embarked elsewhere to see what would happen. ended up in a non-reanimating biome with evil weather. a couple things to note.
once I got past the 'soil' the layerstone was solid garnierite.
i thought I embarked on an aquifer but apparently not? checked with reveal and I don't see anything.
there were veins of "sonorous lines" "motes of light" "undulating cloth" as well as rusted metal, bauxite, and shining metal
the whole embark seemed shallower than it should be. the magma sea was only about 44 z levels down, at 90, when the surface is 134.
there were more variations on the smokerock; fiendish fog, fiendish gloom, evil mist, foul ash, wicked soot, foul murk, abominable smoke, devilish smoke, and eerie gloom.
Methylatedspirit's dwarf came to live here.
i'm gonna retire this one and check out the good-aligned biome, probably.

update 2
retired, went to the good aligned biome. accidentally embarked on roughly the same latitude as the last fortress (i wanted somewhere with plenty of metal), so not too much difference in smokerock. there is a lot of platinum, garnierite, native silver. still plenty of rusted metal, also multicolored metal. a new thing i found was "liquid darkness". it's also telling me it's raining stinking ooze but it isn't making it down to the surface. only traces i've seen were on the tops of the willow trees.

another thing is that the retired fortresses seem to be promptly overrun with goblins when i check back in the civs screen.

you know, if i find a vault i'm starting to think it's gonna be filled with regular ol' iron and gold (the traders have rose gold but not actual gold.) additionally, the divine cloth is completely useless for anything.

which is better, a knapped divine metal sword or a forged one?

apparently Methyl became king at some point in this branch.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:42:11 am by nezclaw »
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 07, 2019, 09:59:46 pm »

so i was poking around in adventure mode and ran into a crapload of monsters all running around in terror when i tried to return to the fortress. i killed a ton of them but they kept coming, tanking my framerate. if someone with a beefier computer could have a look? i have no idea what's going on.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14407

[edit update] so after fiddling around with some dfhack scripts i was able to switch to a dwarf and teleport back down and have a look around with darkvision. it appears that there is just an absurd number of mobs down there. all pathing and fighting. hungry heads, bugbats, crundles, elk birds, cave blobs, flesh balls, blind cave ogres, creeping eyes, blood men, molemarians, the works. is there supposed to be that many damn mobs spawning in one location? i thought the settings were just for "absurd number of megabeasts".
and since i literally can't move anywhere in a timely fashion (fifteen seconds for one frame) without flashstep i'm just gonna encase everything in obsidian.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 03:00:33 pm by nezclaw »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 16, 2019, 07:15:23 pm »

So, Superdwarf--

Any news?

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 17, 2019, 02:17:36 am »

i wouldn't be surprised if Dawnthunder is on its last legs. It certainly seemed like it while i was playing with the most recent save... then again i'm not too good at nursing along a dying fortress with escalating stress.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 17, 2019, 02:37:57 am »

dying?  It was dying before I nuked like 1000 undeads.  Now it is just a bit sickly.

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 17, 2019, 06:18:55 am »

I thought the long silence was odd. I suppose we can just skip Superdorf's turn after two weeks, as his rules state we should.

TBExtent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 17, 2019, 01:28:47 pm »

Could I be put down for a turn?

It looks like a fantastic mess you've got here.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 17, 2019, 02:11:58 pm »

Sorry guys. I spaced out.  :-\

On that note, I think I'll be dropping out of the turnlist. Here's the save, at any rate: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14420

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 17, 2019, 02:12:24 pm »

Could I be put down for a turn?

It looks like a fantastic mess you've got here.

Yeah, sure. Welcome aboard!

klonk
Sigtext

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 17, 2019, 02:31:40 pm »

I'd also like to drop my name from the turnlist... I've got stuff going on rn for an indeterminate time

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 17, 2019, 03:42:11 pm »

I will not be idle during my next turn, so expect even greater calamity from me than last time. MCreeper, you better make the fortress resilient.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 27, 2019, 02:35:53 am »

OK, I am not gonna let this project die.  I will just keep repeating my turn until somebody says they want to play, and will keep updating.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32