Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 93893 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #435 on: August 15, 2019, 02:08:21 am »

In the meantime, if your trap hall captured any goblins (which do not eat or drink!), you can assign one to the chain in place of the peacock.  That would give sentient bait, which should be irresistable to the zombie hoardes.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 15, 2019, 02:21:56 pm »

eheheheheheh excellent.
i also figured out why they weren't being stripped of their equipment, it needed to be unforbidden first.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 15, 2019, 06:01:10 pm »

Autumn Report

The fortress endures. The Hammerlords have been consolidated into one squad, as I deemed it unnecessary for them to be paired off, seeing as they are legends in their own right.

The goblins we captured have had their armor and weapons confiscated and melted down. We now have a decent supply of iron and copper, which will be processed into steel.

Decoration of the fortress's furniture continues, slowly. The gemcutter Solon has been studding with zinc and aluminum, as he has some skill in metalcrafting, while I decorate with bone and the newly arrived jeweler Risen Idetest has been practicing on sphalerite.

-distant yelling about bees-
-distant reply about getting your ass to hammerpractice-

Alath has been complaining loudly about not being able to install colonies in the hives I ordered made. Something about providing a safe home for the bees? This fortress has been here for nearly ten years the bees can wait until the giant undead cardinals are gone. In the meantime he can work on a less useless military discipline than marksdwarf.

The first cavern layer has been reopened in anticipation of getting the Magma Death Machine up and running. There were few enough undead that the Hammerlords could dispatch them easily, as well as the forgotten beast lurking in there. Unfortunately this pushed Kogan over the edge...

Still, it was inevitable in this fortress.
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 15, 2019, 07:11:23 pm »

Another siege!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The traphalls work beautifully. I also ordered a chokepoint to be constructed.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 15, 2019, 07:24:02 pm »

Quick question: why are we using stonefall traps? Aren't the walls the traphall is dug in made out of tetrahedrite?

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 15, 2019, 07:29:45 pm »

sphalerite, and the reason is to spread out the cage traps. i did kill a couple gobbos in the traps. and weapon traps are out of the question due to reanimation.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 16, 2019, 12:22:20 pm »

20th Moonstone, 1059

Just what we needed. And it's in the first cavern too, that we opened up.. Fortunately the drawbridge is currently under construction so if we can get it finished and hooked up in time we should be fine....

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 16, 2019, 03:18:58 pm »

The cleaners is more than capable of dealing with FBs...  It took out several zombie cave dragons and other very large creatures.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 16, 2019, 04:01:44 pm »

this wasn't on the cleaner's level though, this was on the level of the first cavern, the one with the black sand aquifers. it was dispatched quickly, but one of the dwarves ended up accidentally caged.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 17, 2019, 02:38:33 pm »

SO! the issue with dwarves trying to path into the caverns when the cleaners is running can be fixed pretty easily by just. trimming the burrow. so no bait OR micromanagement is needed! Thing is, upon dropping the bridge my framerate went from six to zero. it's back up to two now, but uh. yeah.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 17, 2019, 02:41:39 pm »

Neat, is the goblin based bait being effective enough for those damn hungry head zombies?  They just kinda chillaxed and floated around down there, refusing to come to their deaths on my last official turn.
And yeah, Zombie path-finding is brutal on the FPS.  Once you kill enough of them though, it should be OK. (and watching the carts whirl around clobbering things is kinda cool to watch.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:44:54 pm by wierd »

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 17, 2019, 02:49:51 pm »

Eh, the dwarves are taking their sweet time getting the goblin down there, so I'm using the entire fortress as bait, hence my adjustment of the burrows. Also the carts appear to have dumped their cargo of bars?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 17, 2019, 02:53:49 pm »

It happened when there were several "very large" undeads in there.  It did not seem to seriously impact its lethality though. (Lighter carts can stagger the creature, and then subsequent hits are unblockable, because the creature is staggered.) 

Be aprised that some times sturdy undeads can make up to the door while still alive, so the potential for them to escape exists.  My micromanagement prevented that, because I would lock the door when there was a batch in for "processing".

If you truly want to fix it, you will have to re-designate one of the insert-points as a track stop, (WITH THE LEVER OFF!!), and then have the dwarves load it, and push it-- then delete the trackstop. The cart just has to be on the track so it can be moved when the on lever gets pulled. I did not consider it a worthwhile thing to worry about, after noting that even huge undead still died with empty carts.

Basically, the huge undeads could go "You hit me!? WRAAR!" and throw the cart (which makes it derail, and spill its contents). However, the only place for the cart to land is on the powered track, which then sends it careening back on a collision course with the huge undead, and whammo all over again.  Meanwhile, immediately after it tossed the first cart, the next one hits it, followed by the next, etc--- sending the creature flying, or making it get stunned. When flying or stunned, the creature cannot block, and all the hits land. This continues relentlessly until the big thing gets pulped. Occasionally, I noted that the undeads could block the carts, but then when they try to toss the cart (or move, allowing the carts to get momentum again), they send it on an active bit of circuit, causing it to crash into the back of the hung-up cart chain, making the stopped carts slam into the creature, stunning it long enough for the rollers to shove the stuck carts over the stunned creature, and then "THUMP THUMP THUMP", and the whole death machine winds back up again.

The smaller undeads just get clobbered without any of the interesting interactions.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:11:00 pm by wierd »

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 17, 2019, 08:07:09 pm »

There is one more month left.
I can't do this.
There has been too much death. I told them to stay out of the cleaners. I altered the burrow map. Yet they still try to go in. The fools. I... the gorlaks....

....i KNOW we're out of cages! I told you to throw the goblins in the pit! And why hasn't Mebzuth been released???

Right... uhh. there was a mood.

*sob*
and then they walked into the cleaners while it was running! why?? Armok why????

and now Ushrir's followed him! Why??? Armok damn this fort! Damn it to the pits of hell! I can't do this!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(My framerate is currently three. and yet somehow they keep ending up in the Cleaners anyway. i'm packing this damn thing up and throwing it at the next victim while my dwarf has a nervous breakdown.
also, apologies for the inconsistent character voice, i tend to default to a fairly precise manner of speaking)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 17, 2019, 09:08:35 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32