Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 93907 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #465 on: September 19, 2020, 11:44:27 am »

5th Slate
Following examination of the fortress’s layout near the Cleaners, I believe I have a plan.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The room up here has no real use, but it is directly over the Cleaners’ main section. If we were to remove the ramp and block off the stairs (perhaps with a water-tight door, or a floodgate), we could then utilise a pump-stack to bring water up from the river and flush the various body parts and contaminants out of the main chamber. The flow could then be directed through the door here:

Sending it down a shaft and into a chamber with an atom smasher, which could then be used to dispose of any of the giblets and bloodied water. It is possible that a floor hatch or floodgate, linked to another lever in the ‘control chamber’ could be utilised to dictate water flow into the main Cleaner and the DAS below.

The atom smasher would be located on this layer, with a door in place to prevent the water and corpses from reaching the fortress.

Using this as a base – the pump stack will begin on the left side, with the two sections between having doors (locked and forbidden, to ensure water-tightness) in place. The section behind that is both for access and any necessary maintenance that may arise.

This, as the designs indicate, would continue upwards for four floors, until we reach the newly-made reservoir. Water would be pumped in – stopped from leaking down further by removal of the ramp and blocking of the stairs with a door – and either left here to sit, or deployed into the Cleaners via lever-operated floor hatch.

The water would then flow into a set of channels leading down into the DAS, where the undead remains and contaminant-laced water can be disposed of without problem.

16th Slate

When I find whatever soft-headed, beard-gnawing fool decided to bury corpses in an evil biome, I’ll – I’ll-

Well, I’m not sure what I’ll do, but it probably won’t be pleasant. Those bloody catacombs are scary enough without our fortress’ dead rising out of their coffins as we try to bury others. And then there’s the issues with the corpses further down – funny, how everyone in this hellhole can survive the lunacy before running away at the sight of a mobile arm.

Still, the corpse-chute to the Magma Sea has finally been completed. I have already ordered the first batch of corpses – mostly skeletons, a couple Goblin prisoners, and some of the detritus from the Cleaner – to be disposed of via it.

Burrow restrictions have temporarily been lifted; with them in place, the Cleaner is outside the Overseer-approved areas of access, seemingly preventing the hauliers from entering the reeking central area and dragging out the various bits that the minecarts have not pulverised wholesale.

7th Slate?

Another citizen of the fortress has died. A Wrestler, this time, one that was apparently quite stressed. One of our Scholars was attacked around the same time – a Wrestler, who did quite the number on his shoulder and hand. I cannot say if the two incidents are related, but I have ordered the construction of a long-overdue Hospital in the heart of the fortress.

With luck, the knowledge that their injuries can be treated quickly and (semi) efficiently will help deal with the stress running rampant in several members of the fort.

1st Felsite?

I fear that the strange nature of this fortress is getting to me in some manner. I seem to have lost several days, and I have no clue as to why I woke up reeking like the Cleaners, but apparently, I was stumbling around the fortress, completely oblivious to anything and everything around me.

Three months in and I’m already cracking. Armok help me.

A second Forgotten Beast showed up.

Apparently, though, the Undead are proving useful for once. They may not be big or dangerous, but there’s enough of them to literally drown the Beast in corpses. With luck, they’ll do the Hammers’ jobs for them.

Finally, I must report that something strange appears to be going on in the Caverns. Two of our Mechanics, along with a Blacksmith and Hammer-Captain, are simply standing amidst the animals and flora of the secured layer. The Captain, in particular, has been there for several weeks now, and is displaying severe signs of dehydration.

If this carries on… well, it cannot. We can’t keep losing Dwarves like this.

Author's Note: There’s about four Dwarves – the non-Dorf Hammer Captain, two Mechanics, and Imic’s Dwarf – just standing around on the first Cavern layer, refusing to budge no matter what I do. They show up as ‘No Job’, despite having Hauling and multiple other labours active.

I’ve tried opening a hole in the walls around the up/down stairs on the first layer of the Caverns, disabled all labours before re-enabling them, temporarily removed burrow restrictions, taken all squads off active duty, teleported (in a backup save) them out of the Caverns via DFHack – nothing’s worked, with even the teleport just having them stand where they teleport to.

Does anyone know what's up with them?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 19, 2020, 01:41:13 pm »

Maybe the beekeeper bug?

Try destroying any uncompleted hives.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 19, 2020, 06:24:54 pm »

there's a bug for that? shit. i added hives to give them a bit of variety in their booze re: mead
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 20, 2020, 02:45:05 am »

It was fixed a long time ago, but then again, this is a pretty old fortress we are restarting.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 20, 2020, 09:57:18 pm »

holy shit has it really been over a year since Dawnthunder was last active?
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 21, 2020, 01:49:40 am »

Yes. Almost 2 years actually.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 21, 2020, 03:08:21 pm »

Maybe the beekeeper bug?

Try destroying any uncompleted hives.

Okay, had a look around the fort, and I can't see any uncompleted hives. Only ones I can see at all are colonies on the surface, and they're all accessible. Also, forgive my inexperience, but what is/was the beekeeper bug?

EDIT: Whoa. Not sure what just happened, but the Hammer-Captain in the Caverns (the dehydrated one) is suddenly giving literal pages of 'cancels Store item in bin/stockpile: drop off inaccessible' errors in announcements. Disabling all labours hasn't stopped them from spamming the announcement log with that. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:59:40 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 21, 2020, 08:38:06 pm »

Beekeeper bug:

When an order to install a hive from a wild source is made, no task locking is performed against that wild hive.  Multiple keepers try to track to the same hive, but only one can succeed.  Once the hive is harvested for installation, it DOES NOT CAUSE CANCELLATION.  The other keepers, who had started the job seeking a specific hive, will NEVER complete the job clogging up their pipeline. They will NOT seek an alternative hive, and will instead just stand around and starve to death, as their little dwarven brains try to figure out what happened.

Look for any hives that have failed to be constructed, but which have been ordered built.  Revoke their construction designations so that they stop generating "install hive" orders.

Again, this bug was fixed years ago.. but this fortress is rather old.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 22, 2020, 06:17:40 am »

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to quit my turn here. RL's getting in the way, and I'm not likely to be able to complete the turn in any reasonable time (or without buggering the fort up even worse) while juggling this and several other bits (both IRL and online).  :(

That said, a few things of note:
  • The Grapplecaptain bit it on the 18th Felsite - not sure how, since they were 'found dead', but they may have been dehydrated.
  • The pumpstack for water-cleaning the Cleaners has its basic structure in place, but the pumps still need installing, along with a couple doors
  • Keep an eye on the 'No Job' guys, as more than a few seem to have the 'standing in one place' issue despite there being no uncompleted Hives I can see.
  • The gates (both main and trap-hall) are open to allow the surface to be cleaned up. Your choice if you want to close them.
  • Job cancel announcements are currently off, due to Urist McSpammy.
Once again, sorry for dropping out this abruptly.

File is here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15212
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:00:36 am by Quantum Drop »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 22, 2020, 12:29:39 pm »

Ah well. Thanks for setting things rolling again!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]