Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One Hour One Life: growing human civilization one death at a time  (Read 905 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Steam Page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/595690/One_Hour_One_Life/

i stumbled upon this game just today when looking at some gameplay channels. One Hour One Life is basically a MMOSS (Massive Multiplayer Online Survival Simulation) in which the player goes from baby to elder aging 1 year per minute for a full hour. depending on the part of the server you were born you may either arrive in a complete virgin territory or in a settlement and have to make your way around the world in the short gameplay session you get before dying and being reborn all over again.

from what i've seen in the videos there's a long and complex technology tree with players usually only being able to scrap the surface of the most basic neolithic techniques on their first arrival, the game is designed with the mind that each generation leaves the foundations for the next one to continue growing the civilization which is always expanding in complexity due to the developer churning more stuff on it.

after seeing other survival games in videos i must say this one looks  the most intriguing of the bunch compared to stuff like ARK, Rust, Minecraft and the like. its kinda like doing a DF Adventurer run but with the additive that you can basically foster other people until they help you grow the place until you die with the chance of returning as their children to continue with anything you left unfinished. i havent seem something like that in other games (at least not that i know deeply) so i felt it was good enough to make a thread about it here in Bay12.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:23:55 pm by xaritscin »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One Hour One Life: growing human civilization one death at a time
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:17:58 pm »

Also
Also also

I'm curious if there's been any update to this, and how for anybody has gotten, and how populated the game is now.

It does kinda feel like 1 hour isn't enough from videos I've seen.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One Hour One Life: growing human civilization one death at a time
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 07:34:59 pm »

Also
Also also

I'm curious if there's been any update to this, and how for anybody has gotten, and how populated the game is now.

It does kinda feel like 1 hour isn't enough from videos I've seen.

fuck i knew there had to be some older threads here, too suspicious. but yeah, it would be a bit of a necro to bring them on. im gonna leave this thread open for deletion then, no point on keeping it.

well from what i see the nature of randomized spawning and conflict of interest between players means that no town is truly organized so it makes sense people is all over the place doing stuff, keeping themselves alive and farming/crafting whatever they feel like. it makes me wonder how do these cities keep themselves afloat full with proper constructions when there doesnt seem to be a way to organize people and provide tasks outside of guiding them via chatting.

the game doesnt really provide much in terms of information to the player honestly. it points what you can build and how well fed or covered against the weather you are  but there's no menu to see stats of the server and all of that. not even maps. what i saw however was that people can leave written notes in paper so i gues that can be considered to make some sort of library. it will probably take some time before people actually get to make a working society.