Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dungeon Race 2: Join the War!  (Read 1308 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon Race 2: Join the War!
« on: March 06, 2019, 06:56:13 am »

Long ago the land of Relt was inhabited by a race of ingenious dwarves. At some point in the distant past, the entirety of dwarven civilization was destroyed in a terrible cataclysm. Little was left of their once power nation and the magics they possessed. In time, an unknown amount of time later, humans arrived on the small continent of Relt. Two nations eventually arose, the northern nation of Borea and the southern nation of Aust. The two countries have hated each other from a time immemorial, each coveting what the other had. Between the two lay an almost impassible mountain range. The ocean surrounding the continent is treacherous. Terrible beasts roam the seas there, making naval warfare impossible. Truly the only thing keeping the two nations from all out war was the impossibility at getting at eachother. 

Last year, 512 years after humans first settled this continent, a terrible earthquake shook the entire continent. Giant mountains sprung up on the north west and south east corners of the continent. While this was rather unfortunate for the poor souls who once lived where the new mountains are revealed to be an ancient dungeon that connected the two countries! Whats more, each side found ancient dwarven relics which would give them an advantage in the coming war! The most powerful and important among these is the summoning circle your scouts discovered. Its power will allow you to create/summon creatures and soldiers to help you in the war.

You are a member of your nation's magic and technology research division, set with the task of providing your nation with new weapons and magic to help them gain control of the massive dungeon beneath Relt. 

The Nations:

Aust is the southern nation on the continent of Relt. It is a hot dry nation mostly composed of endless grasslands, deserts, and rocky badlands. There is plenty of arable land, a decent amount of natural resources, but few forests. The Aust army is large, but is poorly trained and managed. It's mostly made up of roving bands of nomads who are more used to hunting than actual combat. Its national animal is the dragalo. Glory to Aust!

Boreau is the northern nation on the continent of Relt. It is a cold wet nation mostly composed of forests, tundra, and swamps. There are plenty of trees, a decent amount of natural resources, but little arable land. The Borean army is small, but it is highly trained and well managed. A few decades ago there was a small civil war in Boreau when the the nation of Vuncio tried to claim sovereignty. Borea was victorious, and while the tensions have (mostly) resided, the army has retained a strict training regiment. Its national animal is the brog. Victory for Boreau!

Furthermore, once you have chosen a side, there will be a turn 0. During this turn you will decide what dwarven technology you discovered in your dungeon entrance, as well as what monsters you start with.

In either nation's thread, you may suggest what to do each turn, and vote in favor other suggestions. Please stick to one nation, nobody likes a turncoat! Turns occur in two phases:
-In the Design Phase, you may suggest a new product (EG a brand new summoned monster). I will roll some dice, and depending how ambitious your new project is, I will assign an Expense (E) to it, and possibly introduce Bugs. If you want, you can simply revise an old project instead of making a new one, converting your design phase into a revision phase.
-Once you've seen the results of your efforts, we move to the Revision Phase- you can try to reduce the expense, remove bugs, or add features to a design.
-Lastly there is the combat phase. Each team will submit their Resource Expenditure plan. Then the fighting happens! I'll provide a description of who has the advantage on which fronts, and roll some dice. Resources will be gained and lost sometimes. The next year will start, and we will move to a new Design phase.

Important Note: Much of the discussion will happen on the discord sever. The speed and level of communication which discord provide far exceeds Bay12.  As of now, I intend to have the two teams do the phases there, and have the combat results posted here in this thread. The discord sever can be found here: https://discord.gg/wQScD4C

Sometimes, you might earn a Design Credit or a Revision Credit, which will allow you one extra design or revision action in one turn. These will mostly be rewards for completing objectives or various challenges.

Expense: Expense is going to work a bit differently in this game. Each unit, piece of equipment, and design is going to have an expense value. This value will be subtracted from your total resources. Your total resources are going to be determined by your domestic technologies, farms, mines, and so on.

You might gain an Expense Credit for a certain type of unit, reducing the expense by 40 for example, if the King desperately wants a new giant monster, they'll offer an expense credit for it, which might reduce your new lightning jellyfish monstrosity from A National Effort to Very Expensive.

The expense (E) of equipment is determined when you design it. The more new features, or the more ambitious, the more likely it is to be expensive. You can attempt to reduce the expense when revising equipment- this might introduce bugs, or it might permanently reduce the expense of that technology.

Winning:
Each turn, the victorious side has a chance to cause the other side to retreat. This will allow you start your forces further along in the next dungeon by claiming the various Teleportation Gates throughout the dungeon. Each turn the dungeon itself changes. When one team gains full control of the dungeon, they will be able to launch an assault on the enemy territory. If they succeed there, they may assault the enemy capital. Succeeding there, they win the game.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:47:43 pm by Roboson »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Race 2: Summoners War
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 07:31:41 am »

Ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Race 2: Join the War!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 03:29:28 pm »

Alright, I'm interested.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 09:56:00 pm »

Im down for this #Glory To Aust

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 10:11:33 pm »

Aust!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 10:14:56 pm »

You know, it's interesting.

Just like it says, Aust seems to be getting more people than Borea.
And just like it says, Borea has all the higher-quality ones.

We'll freeze yer arses off, mates. ;D
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 10:16:13 pm »

Why hello, Glass.

It's on.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 10:16:18 pm »

Joining Borea. For elitism!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 10:19:06 pm »

Why hello, Glass.

It's on.
:P

But seriously you have a certain furry hypnotist on your side, you should worry for your mental integrity and that of your coworkers.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Vostok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 12:09:45 pm »

Joining Borea, I guess.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 04:01:28 pm »

Victory for Boreau! ...Borea! ... Boreu?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 04:04:32 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 01:16:35 pm »

I would like to join borea.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 04:24:29 pm »

Hmm, yeah I guess I'll go for Aust.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 10:43:42 pm »

For anyone who's interested in joining, or has the discord muted, Turn 2 was just posted on the discord server listed above.
Pages: [1] 2