Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can a swan man wear a dwarf-size armor?  (Read 6718 times)

AllHailTheMonolith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can a swan man wear a dwarf-size armor?
« on: March 06, 2019, 10:00:16 am »

And if he can't, what’s the smallest size of a creature that can.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can a swan man wear a dwarf-size armor?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 05:18:49 pm »

Welcome.
Swan men are smaller. I believe some humans with certain body types can actually wear dwarf armor though I don't know the actual races that can for sure.
You could make a fort to fit strange races with armor.
Im sure others will chime in with advice... right guys

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 05:48:12 pm »

Welcome.
Swan men are smaller. I believe some humans with certain body types can actually wear dwarf armor though I don't know the actual races that can for sure.
You could make a fort to fit strange races with armor.
Im sure others will chime in with advice... right guys
Is it boar-men? Seem to recall that from somewhere.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 07:25:55 pm »

Wild boar men are actually larger than dwarfs, they wear human sizes.

My calculations say the smallest sentient to wear dwarf should be the emu man, at standard adult size of 52,500.
(The formula is +/- 1/7; dwarfs' size 60,000 is exactly 8/7 of emu men.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:29:18 pm by mightymushroom »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 01:54:35 pm »

jaguar men can wear both dwarf and human armor

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 02:03:22 pm »

Pretty sure it's cougar men that wear both. I think jaguar men are larger than either dwarves or humans, though I could be wrong on that.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 05:39:36 pm »

I believe the armour is made for a specific size, and creatures can wear armour made for ±1/7th of their size. Swan men have a size of 40,000 cm3, so they can't wear dwarf-sized armour.

You can, however, make clothing or armour in a dwarf fortress sized for swan men.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 09:40:15 pm »

It's all kind of silly isn't it? A dwarf wearing a helmet shaped to fit emu people...

Hopefully one day in the future this will be looked at in the minute detail it deserves.  :)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 10:39:11 pm »

It's all kind of silly isn't it? A dwarf wearing a helmet shaped to fit emu people...

Hopefully one day in the future this will be looked at in the minute detail it deserves.  :)

And vice versa. Emu people can literally wear the legendary artefact-grade special material armour made for your dwarves... as well as wield most of your weapons.

Spoiler: Watch out, Australia! (click to show/hide)
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 08:45:19 pm »

Wild boar men are actually larger than dwarfs, they wear human sizes.

My calculations say the smallest sentient to wear dwarf should be the emu man, at standard adult size of 52,500.
(The formula is +/- 1/7; dwarfs' size 60,000 is exactly 8/7 of emu men.)
I believe the armour is made for a specific size, and creatures can wear armour made for ±1/7th of their size. Swan men have a size of 40,000 cm3, so they can't wear dwarf-sized armour.

You can, however, make clothing or armour in a dwarf fortress sized for swan men.
I did some size tests a while back and unless it's been changed, the only requirement to wear armor and clothing is for the creature's base size to be within a threshold of 5000 cubic cm, with no regard for the specific individual's body size modifiers.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 12:16:09 pm »

I did some size tests a while back and unless it's been changed, the only requirement to wear armor and clothing is for the creature's base size to be within a threshold of 5000 cubic cm, with no regard for the specific individual's body size modifiers.
±1/7 is intel from the Toad himself.

That means a threshold of ~8571cc for dwarves and 7500cc for emu men. Dwarf armor is at the exact upper bound of what an emu man can wear. However, a dwarf could wear the armor of a hypothetical creature of base size as low as 51,428. It's kind of weird the way larger creatures can wear increasingly smaller stuff.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:37:54 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 11:45:51 pm »

And vice versa. Emu people can literally wear the legendary artefact-grade special material armour made for your dwarves... as well as wield most of your weapons.

Watch out, Australia!

:D I'm from Australia, better start prepping for the second great emu war! (Google 'great emu war,' it's hilarious. ;) )

Also, I wanted to play as an owl person once, and after some searching i discovered that if you go into the raws (one of the text files in the objects section, I'm really sorry, but I couldn't find which document the swan file is in.) you can replace the parts which govern size through growth stages to go from this.

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:50]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:0:1000]
   [BODY_SIZE:2:0:2000]

To this. (this is the great horned owl.)

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:50]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:0:1000]
   [BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]

You have to make sure you add it to the world's raw file if you want to add it to an already existing world ( data > save > the region file for that world.) You can now play as an animal person and wear normal armour.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:02:05 pm by AshTheTiefling »
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*