Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Injecting an Adventurer into Fortress Mode  (Read 5379 times)

nuklearwanze

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Injecting an Adventurer into Fortress Mode
« on: March 07, 2019, 12:07:32 pm »

I have a game running in Fortress Mode (dont want to retire it).

Is there any way to "inject" an adventurer into the fort (or even into the world where the fort exists)?
i.e.: keep the fort running, start an game in adventure in the same world, and have the adventurer then show up in fortress mode?

i suspect the answer is no - but it's still worth asking :)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Injecting an Adventurer into Fortress Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 01:36:07 pm »

no, the answer is yes, but you need to make sure your adventurer is part of the fort guard if you want them to join your fort's government.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 05:22:31 pm »

no, the answer is yes, but you need to make sure your adventurer is part of the fort guard if you want them to join your fort's government.
You can also join by becoming an official entertainer.
Dance or sing or something in front of whoever's in charge. You'll find they're harder to please than normal dorfs.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 07:39:01 pm »

There were asking if they could do it without retiring their fort, and the answer to that is no.Also no, you cannot move adventurers between different worlds, as obviously then that would really screw up the history of the world, dont you think.
But you could retire the fort, travel to the fort, and join it that way, then unretire the fort.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 02:18:22 am »

Oh, didn't notice the 'don't want to retire it'.
Why not?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 05:55:55 am »

Retirement is a little buggy, I suposse :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 07:34:52 am »

Retirement is a little buggy, I suposse :)
Yeah, a little. It's usually workable though.

The plan is to eventually create a smoother crossover between adventurer and fortress but even so, if you're off adventuring you're always going to have to relinquish some control to the ai.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 10:31:22 am »

so this person wants to Create a separate Timeline but in adventure mode, then try to retire them into a Fort that probably does not exist in the adv timeline.

instead of just retiring the fort, I guess they could just retire the adventurer first then start a new fort in the same civ and hope the adventurer pops up in the migrant wave.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 06:34:00 pm »

so this person wants to Create a separate Timeline but in adventure mode, then try to retire them into a Fort that probably does not exist in the adv timeline.

instead of just retiring the fort, I guess they could just retire the adventurer first then start a new fort in the same civ and hope the adventurer pops up in the migrant wave.
You can build an adventurer site, then start a fortress on top of it. Adventurer and his gang will be hanging out on embark. Gotta make sure your adventurer comes from the same civ as the fortress or they'll be labeled 'hostile' though (meaning 'not hostile' in that weird unretire way).

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 01:43:22 am »

More then 7 Dwarves on embark? 10 highly trained and equipped axedwarves? All the adventure mode loot stored in the camp?

There could be a good reason to start every Fortress Mode embark with a solid Adventure Mode run first. :)

Pity, leather clothing will start rotting in a year or two during fortress run. Why this insane fast clothing rot anyhow? Leather clothing can last for decades! It is _NOT_ realistic.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 05:21:55 am »

More then 7 Dwarves on embark? 10 highly trained and equipped axedwarves? All the adventure mode loot stored in the camp?

There could be a good reason to start every Fortress Mode embark with a solid Adventure Mode run first. :)

Pity, leather clothing will start rotting in a year or two during fortress run. Why this insane fast clothing rot anyhow? Leather clothing can last for decades! It is _NOT_ realistic.
Yes, it's basically a way of playing the wagon journey part of the game. Send out adventurers into the wilds, build a stockade, send in the settlers to start working on the fortress proper with a little protection already set up.

I'm pretty sure there are weird bugs, but I haven't tried it out in a long time.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 03:45:50 pm »

probably due to the weird adv camp hyper time that will biodegrade or wear out items insanely quick
but overall there many other ways to get more than 7 dwarves... or citizens on a embark through entity modding, but really Normally I just retire the fort as it's just going to be used for Adventuring any way and any unretire mishaps that happen when I bring the adventurer is just water under the bridge. then again it's also possible to just assign a fort dwarf as an adventurer then just dfhack mode set out of the fort and explore the world.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 04:56:06 pm »

probably due to the weird adv camp hyper time that will biodegrade or wear out items insanely quick
Insanly quick degrading time bug came back?
Wow. That was a weird one, I remember when Toady looked into it and finally worked out what was going on. Did anyone reopen it on the tracker?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 02:42:22 am »

oh I was thinking of breaking camp through dfhackery with weird mechanics or the times I ended up in unallocated space and the clothes started wearing out, don't really remember seeing this pop up again in vanilla set ups.
though DF fort mode is at a different speed than adv mode and chances are items you wore in one mode would degrade alot faster in the other.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 03:02:11 am »

oh I was thinking of breaking camp through dfhackery with weird mechanics or the times I ended up in unallocated space and the clothes started wearing out, don't really remember seeing this pop up again in vanilla set ups.
though DF fort mode is at a different speed than adv mode and chances are items you wore in one mode would degrade alot faster in the other.
Ah, ok.
Yeah, in vanilla when adventurer sites were first introduced, offloading would add several years to the site. Everything degraded in no time. Was quite amusing while it lasted.   :)
Pages: [1] 2