Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Injecting an Adventurer into Fortress Mode  (Read 5380 times)

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Injecting an Adventurer into Fortress Mode
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 03:55:53 am »

I've done it a few times it helps to have the adventurer in the same civilization as the fort and it helps even more on small worlds. Most the times they came in the first or second wave but thats prob rng luck or some high skill immigrant mechanism.
Another occasion I started a fort then retired it and made an adventurer from that civ then skilled got vampyrism returned to the fort retired the guy then resumed the fort. I didn't get far to experience any bugs except the usual scattering of items.
Oh yeah and I took an artifact book and used it as an eternal fire item as artifacts dont break and its a flammable material. Good steam generator inside a non flammable container and a good weapon

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 07:34:32 pm »

so this person wants to Create a separate Timeline but in adventure mode, then try to retire them into a Fort that probably does not exist in the adv timeline.

instead of just retiring the fort, I guess they could just retire the adventurer first then start a new fort in the same civ and hope the adventurer pops up in the migrant wave.
You can build an adventurer site, then start a fortress on top of it. Adventurer and his gang will be hanging out on embark. Gotta make sure your adventurer comes from the same civ as the fortress or they'll be labeled 'hostile' though (meaning 'not hostile' in that weird unretire way).

When I tried this, I found my adventurers labeled hostile (though he was harmless) in all circumstances and variations of my attempts. I think it has to do with having to claim lordship over the site to be able to retire an adventurer safely. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 10:28:08 pm »

so this person wants to Create a separate Timeline but in adventure mode, then try to retire them into a Fort that probably does not exist in the adv timeline.

instead of just retiring the fort, I guess they could just retire the adventurer first then start a new fort in the same civ and hope the adventurer pops up in the migrant wave.
You can build an adventurer site, then start a fortress on top of it. Adventurer and his gang will be hanging out on embark. Gotta make sure your adventurer comes from the same civ as the fortress or they'll be labeled 'hostile' though (meaning 'not hostile' in that weird unretire way).

When I tried this, I found my adventurers labeled hostile (though he was harmless) in all circumstances and variations of my attempts. I think it has to do with having to claim lordship over the site to be able to retire an adventurer safely. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Ah well. It'll work one day, I guess.

I wonder if it might be fixed naturally with the next release? If being in charge of another group is breaking the system, adventurer parties might not be able to retire in fortresses at all. So there's a chance some code might be updated to deal with that, being a major feature of the game.

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 11:00:51 pm »

I wonder if it might be fixed naturally with the next release? If being in charge of another group is breaking the system, adventurer parties might not be able to retire in fortresses at all. So there's a chance some code might be updated to deal with that, being a major feature of the game.

Possibly. When you found a fort, you actually create a sort of faction, and anyone that isn't hometowning from it is in that weird catatonic hostile state at best, or so I interpreted Spriggans' findings on this subject; said findings are a couple years old but I think they apply, from what I saw. If anyone currently on the embark tiles was automatically switched to the fortress faction, it'd work perfectly. I guess there'd have to be a limit, like not being hostile to the civ the fort is issuing from. Again, correct me if all of this is wrong, lol

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 01:31:24 pm »

the hostile thing is an leftover from when toady making it so folks who embark anywhere over towns end up being attacked by their citizens, this isn't the case for folks who retired or settled there but aren't of the same civ or population group, so far they are good guards for any wildlife and ok to have around the fort although hell will break loose if you end up attacking them.
back when I played fort mode(to test out the toady's version of retiring a site) alot you could avoid having an army by retiring and unretiring and using the local guests who didn't get the chance to leave the site as guards.

now this whole thread is made for the use of Not retiring so having 'hostile' camp adventurer is the one of the surefire ways for the person who made this thread to get adventurers in their fort outside of breaking down and making the fort first then adventurer second, or retiring the adventurer into the civ that you're going to make a fort from and hoping they pop up in a migrant wave.

so basically with out retiring the only process is Adv first then Fort second.
though with retiring a player could just skip the process of getting their adventurer sign up to the fort by making their background be of a player fort citizen so they have the benefit of starting from the fort, and the ability to retire in it and work there.

edit: ok went and check to see if the old dfhack means of retiring saves the fort intact vs the df method and uhh hmm it seems like the issue isn't retiring the site more so the un-retiring is buggy. and  a work around would be to set up an adventurer at the site( best if they are citizens of the site in their backgrounds or you set one of the fort citizens up as an adventurer before hand), then switch to fort mode using dfhack's mode set oh probably should go in and toggle off the resident flag on them, then mass clear designations.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:39:59 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 11:13:34 pm »

Here's a question that I've been wondering: if you start a foreign adventurer, and then join the dwarven civ (as a hearthperson) that your fort has or will issue from, and probably retire in a city of said dwarven civ, could said adventurer immigrate to your fort like one who had just been from the dwarven civ originally?

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 01:05:14 am »

Presumably any member of a civ is eligible for migration, native or otherwise. However there are generally so many civ members that your odds of getting a specific one are pretty low. I've never personally seen it happen, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 05:59:16 pm »

Presumably any member of a civ is eligible for migration, native or otherwise. However there are generally so many civ members that your odds of getting a specific one are pretty low. I've never personally seen it happen, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.
I think actual migrant waves are still limited to dwarves for some reason.

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 06:15:23 pm »

I think actual migrant waves are still limited to dwarves for some reason.

*sigh* That sucks if so. I know other people have claimed to have retired adventurers migrate spontaneously, but I guess they might have been dwarves. Even then I don't know if being a hearthperson or performer or whatever in a dwarven civ is the same as being of that civ, to allow even a foreign dwarf to migrate like this.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 06:53:43 pm »

Note that I don't think hearthperson is a title dwarves use. If so you probably joined a human civ. Dwarves use "Sheriff", "Guard" and "Militia-dwarf".

As a sidenote, I have two retired adventurers on my current game. First one is free, and appears to have been culled in some capacity ; location unknown, gave her title as a lady and so on. Second one is militia-man in one of my (human) fort and stays in game. It appears as the game stores your character away from the board if you retire them without joining a town either as a guard or a performer
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 06:56:38 pm by Cathar »

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 07:54:22 pm »

When they retire at a settlement, they automatically gain citizenship. If you have have a seat of power in another site then your adventurer will migrate back there. Otherwise it's random, and probably based on obvious personality factors, whether or not they'll stay or go wandering again.

Well, that would suggest that citizenship is easy enough, assuming that genned civs work by the same rules as player forts. Whether non-dwarven adventurer migration can occur is something else entirely.

Note that I don't think hearthperson is a title dwarves use. If so you probably joined a human civ. Dwarves use "Sheriff", "Guard" and "Militia-dwarf".

As a sidenote, I have two retired adventurers on my current game. First one is free, and appears to have been culled in some capacity ; location unknown, gave her title as a lady and so on. Second one is militia-man in one of my (human) fort and stays in game. It appears as the game stores your character away from the board if you retire them without joining a town either as a guard or a performer

You're totally right about titles...and it occurs to me that I've never joined a dwarven civ as military in adventurer mode, so I'm only assuming it's possible lol...I know performer is. Basically, though, if you only retire without a position, your adventurer won't have interactions? I guess if you wanted them safe, that's good, but they don't develop any, so less fun.

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 04:19:12 pm »

Here's a question that I've been wondering: if you start a foreign adventurer, and then join the dwarven civ (as a hearthperson) that your fort has or will issue from, and probably retire in a city of said dwarven civ, could said adventurer immigrate to your fort like one who had just been from the dwarven civ originally?

It's not quite the same, but I did have an adventurer migrate to a different town as a refugee when the old location was conquered.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 05:36:06 pm »

To answer OP's question, it appears the best way is probably to retire the fort, create an adventurer, go adventuring, and retire at the fort. Things may change at the fort, though, but unretire has been used in succession worlds in my experience without too many issues. Some items may get moved around and the fort is subject to changes in the world though, so it's possible the site may get conquered or some artefacts stolen - possibly bypassing entirely sealed vaults. You may also get emigration or immigration in the time you've been away for.

I intend to do this with Claspedbowels and we'll see how that goes.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 [2]