Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (DF Hack) Creating civilization out of scratch  (Read 2698 times)

Bohemian Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • This.. this must be [Dwarf Fortress Main Theme]!
    • View Profile
(DF Hack) Creating civilization out of scratch
« on: March 07, 2019, 02:08:20 pm »

Arena has a "fake" space outside it's boundaries, a flatworld really.
A true dwarf would never pass an attempt at making a fort in Literally nowhere, the only thing stopping me is the Lack of civilizations, since well.. there are none in the flatworld.

Would be glad if somebody showed me how to make one without crashing/freezing the game, thanks.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: (DF Hack) Creating civilization out of scratch
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 01:53:47 pm »

well in Dfhack one could just play in fort mode with the folks you spawn, with mode set and probably changing the Civ ids so that the game doesn't auto-ruin your fort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Bohemian Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 02:31:29 am »

there are no entities in the arena, I was planning on using tofort script to start a fort,
then retire it and go  from there.
But that would require a civ, I tried creating one by Alt-I * in entitiy list, using gm-editor,
game crashed upon saving, probably because i didn't know how to insert dwarven raws into "entity_raw" idk.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 03:19:52 am »

I don't know how hard it is, but I don't think it's trivial to create a civ from scratch. If I was to try, I'd make a script to do it so I can add what's needed piece by piece, without having to repeat all the steps manually every time it fails or crashes.
The starting point would be to study what a real civ entity entry contains in a real world, and then try to reproduce that.
Apart from the civ itself, you probably need an entity_population entry (not sure if that's the exact name) as a minimum. I don't know if you need gods, or if you can get away with a godless civ.

Bohemian Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 04:55:59 am »

I only fiddled around with editing scripts, best I got was "teleport to my unit" script, just changed some values really.

Thanks for reply though, I may attempt this "megaproject" when i'll have some more knowledge on the matter.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 12:24:07 pm »

It sounds like you need to do a fair bit of DF structure familiarization before you're ready, but it's good to hear you're not just giving up.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 03:01:29 pm »

you probably need to find a civ then figure out how they work... or let DF do most of the work then just set up the site for being playable in fort mode.
which uhh making a campsite then turning it into a player fort is doable, getting an adventurer to claim the site to create a civ group is tricky.
and mostly been trying to figure out how would an outsider gain access to that ability, to pull that off.
"body swapping and YOU!"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 04:13:51 pm »

Rumrusher, the OP wanted to do this in Arena mode, where there's nothing to copy/modify, so the task would be to study a suitable civ in fortress/adventure mode and then painstakingly replicate all the required bits. including linkages (including figure out what bits are required...). Whether it will work even then remains to be seen.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 06:18:17 pm »

Rumrusher, the OP wanted to do this in Arena mode, where there's nothing to copy/modify, so the task would be to study a suitable civ in fortress/adventure mode and then painstakingly replicate all the required bits. including linkages (including figure out what bits are required...). Whether it will work even then remains to be seen.
the idea was you go into adv mode(state in arena) then claim a camp site which then creates a new civ site for the op to modify into a player fort saving them large amount of effort trying to create a civ, then the entity links, and the site links required for the civ.
but the other process would be painstakingly recreate a civ from scratch like what you said.
"body swapping and YOU!"