Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves don't clean themselves  (Read 2266 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves don't clean themselves
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:44:39 pm »

Is that because the water is stagnant? They can use the well to feed patients though.

Edit*

OK, they do now. Maybe they were not dirty enough to do that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:38:33 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves don't clean themselves
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 04:40:57 am »

Do they use soap? I'm asking because in my 10-years old fortress with (currently) 370 dwarves they NEVER used as soap to clean themselves. Only to clean patients. I know because I control the number of soap bars carefully (there are 120 bars now), and check periodically with dfhack both they use and emotions related to baths. My dwarves in 0.44.10-12 never actually bath, at least in foamy way.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:15:12 am »

I've seen the use of soap bars in the latest version by non-hospitalized Dwarves. Thing is, I always make sure to set up a nice well area that is then also a meeting hall, so maybe that makes a difference?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:07:08 am »

Check the 'o'rders' 'z'one 'w'ater setting, if that setting is "only use" and there is no declared water source, then they might not attempt to bath. I'm not sure if you need to declare a well as a water source, I do it just to be sure the well is set up correctly. If all the soap is stored in a hospital, it can only be used for the hospital. I also do not know if they only use soap when they have contaminants to remove.

In 44.12... this dwarf was covered with goblin blood from freakish weather and then washed up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 10:02:39 am »

I have both water source zone over well and soap storage, and a room (meeting area) declared out of the well, which covers said zone and then some. That's why absence of baths is puzzling me, they used to bath under similar conditions in older versions of the game. They do use the well to give water to people who are thirsty (usually when they are already drinking booze), also for hospital purposes (rare thing it's needed) but never bath.

For meeting they prefer tavern, library and temples anyway. However, I would expect them to use the well when they are dirty, since they already use it quite frequently to give water to thirsty and to fill ponds if necessary.

Check the 'o'rders' 'z'one 'w'ater setting, if that setting is "only use" and there is no declared water source, then they might not attempt to bath. I'

Hm, I don't have such option under o-z. Only "prefer zone drinking" and "prefer zone fishing".

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 07:01:34 pm »

Do they use soap?
Yes they do. There are soap bars near the well.

By the way, maybe you put the well in another room. I'm not sure about zone, but maybe if you put it in a room, it is owned by the room owner, technologically?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:03:20 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 10:29:53 am »

Do they use soap? I'm asking because in my 10-years old fortress with (currently) 370 dwarves they NEVER used as soap to clean themselves. Only to clean patients. I know because I control the number of soap bars carefully (there are 120 bars now), and check periodically with dfhack both they use and emotions related to baths. My dwarves in 0.44.10-12 never actually bath, at least in foamy way.

Since each bath uses a fractional part of a bar, monitoring the total number of soap bars is a very poor barometer. Your dwarves could take over 1000 soapy baths without causing a single one of your 120 bars to disappear.

Meanwhile, dwarves now only bathe when they feel it necessary, which is much less often than older versions. My fortress has 30 dwarves and 20 soap bars around the well, and it's probably been at least 5 years since I last cleaned up the soap, so a rough estimate would be 1 bath per dwarf every 5 years. That number changes significantly based on environment and play-style--if your dwarves are regularly caught in freakish weather or cave-in dust clouds then they will bathe more often; less often if they spend all their time sequestered in a library underground.

You can engineer a small cave-in and watch the dust-cloud-contaminated dwarves march off to bathe, with soap if available.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 05:32:08 pm »

Check the 'o'rders' 'z'one 'w'ater setting, if that setting is "only use" and there is no declared water source, then they might not attempt to bath. I'

Hm, I don't have such option under o-z. Only "prefer zone drinking" and "prefer zone fishing".
Drinking is the one they seem to use for baths. I have had to set this standing order when dwarfs were using an above ground pond in preference to an indoor pool for cleaning off bad rain.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 01:04:15 pm »

Since each bath uses a fractional part of a bar, monitoring the total number of soap bars is a very poor barometer. Your dwarves could take over 1000 soapy baths without causing a single one of your 120 bars to disappear.

Oh, I know how this is working. I used dfhack to learn which bars are full, which are partially used and where they currently are. I just gave the number to show both that there is plenty of bars, and that I control exactly how many are there (additionally I also know that the only used ones were used for medical procedures, they still litter the hospital anyway).

I also used dfhack to check if they do have bath-related thoughts, just like I was doing in older fortresses. They don't.

Meanwhile, dwarves now only bathe when they feel it necessary, which is much less often than older versions. My fortress has 30 dwarves and 20 soap bars around the well, and it's probably been at least 5 years since I last cleaned up the soap, so a rough estimate would be 1 bath per dwarf every 5 years. That number changes significantly based on environment and play-style--if your dwarves are regularly caught in freakish weather or cave-in dust clouds then they will bathe more often; less often if they spend all their time sequestered in a library underground.

I have too many dwarves and many of them are citizens for too long (most are there over 5 years) for dirtiness to not kick. I suppose there must be a mechanism which resets it or prevents from occurring. Currently I suspect mist generator, which is present in the tavern, and maybe rain in the case of soldiers, who train under open roof.

You can engineer a small cave-in and watch the dust-cloud-contaminated dwarves march off to bathe, with soap if available.

I'll try it, though they were in dirty incidents already, and somehow never bathed.

Drinking is the one they seem to use for baths. I have had to set this standing order when dwarfs were using an above ground pond in preference to an indoor pool for cleaning off bad rain.

I've set it to Zone-only, and will see if they start behaving.

EDIT: Maybe I'll show a script I use for actually checking on baths. You people without problems can run it and say how many bathers you had, if curious. This is quite old script and I probably should remake it, but works for now, more or less.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:27:15 pm by Saiko Kila »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 03:14:19 pm »

Maybe I'll show a script I use for actually checking on baths. You people without problems can run it and say how many bathers you had, if curious.

First run:

Code: [Select]
[DFHack]# list-baths
Soapy bath - duke D�bar
Soapy bath - Axe Lord Etur
Soapy bath - Marksdwarf Oddom
Soapy bath - Wax Worker �shrir
--Bathers-----------
Normal baths: 16, soapy baths: 5.
Bathing units: 16 (citizens: 0), soapy bathing units: 4 (citizens: 1), total units 6060.
--Complainers-------
Complain about a well: 0 (citizens: 0), total well complains: 0
--Soaps-------------
Soap bars: 147 (unwrapped: 7)

While it looks like 16:5, it's actually 0:0. The Axe Lord, Marksdwarf, and Wax Worker are all long-dead:

[DFHack]# deathcause
The dwarf �shrir uzolzeg died in year 259 (cause: thirst).

The only living citizen, my Duke, coincidentally "remembered" having a soapy bath. 

Enabling verbosity shows that all 16 "normal" bathers are cats:

[DFHack]# list-baths
Soapy bath - duke D�bar
Bath - Cat
Bath - Cat
Bath - Cat �blel
Bath - Cat
Bath - Cat
Bath - Cat
Bath - Kitten
Bath - Kitten
Bath - Kitten
Bath - Cat
Bath - Kitten
Bath - Kitten
Bath - Kitten
Bath - Kitten
Bath - Cat
Bath - Cat
--Bathers-----------
Normal baths: 16, soapy baths: 5.
Bathing units: 16 (citizens: 0), soapy bathing units: 4 (citizens: 1), total units 6060.
--Complainers-------
--Soaps-------------
Soap bars: 147 (unwrapped: 7)

So I drafted three test dwarves into a military squad, told them to replace their clothing with a blank uniform, and marched them out into the bloody snow. Ironically, they appeared to get *cleaner* each time bloody snow fell on them. But, even with only a trace of bloody snow on their feet, they all returned to the fortress for soap and went to bathe: 

[DFHack]# list-baths
Soapy bath - duke D�bar
Soapy bath - Brewer Mafol
Soapy bath - Trader Zuglar
Soapy bath - Stonecrafter Besmar
--Bathers-----------
Normal baths: 16, soapy baths: 8.
Bathing units: 16 (citizens: 0), soapy bathing units: 7 (citizens: 4), total units 6071.
--Complainers-------
--Soaps-------------
Soap bars: 146 (unwrapped: 9)

It's not clear to me how "soap bars" could have went down by one while "unwrapped" went up by two in exactly three baths. Presumably, if one bar was actually consumed/destroyed, then unwrapped should have also went down by one, then up by (at most) two, for a net change of +1 unwrapped.