Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is world generation the same during gameplay?  (Read 2045 times)

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is world generation the same during gameplay?
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:54:29 pm »

I know that the world keeps changing during gameplay, but are there some events that only occur during initial generation?

If you used "short" or "very short" history, are there features your world would never acquire? Necromancers towers, certain civ dynamics, that sort of thing.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is world generation the same during gameplay?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 10:22:16 pm »

I know that the world keeps changing during gameplay, but are there some events that only occur during initial generation?

If you used "short" or "very short" history, are there features your world would never acquire? Necromancers towers, certain civ dynamics, that sort of thing.
There are some, yes. Most notable is artifact creation. They just stop after initial worldgen. Stuff gets updated all the time though, so it's hard to pinpoint what is and what isn't in background worldgen. Toady says "as much as possible".

Festivals I think don't happen. They're certainly not visible right now anyway, so they're probably on pause. (Or maybe everyone just pretends like it's a normal day whenever an adventurer approaches...)

The big one (but perhaps less noticeable to the player) is the world economy. That pauses after initial worldgen. It'll be a big update to move that into the 'real-world'.

There was a rumour that births stopped after initial worldgen, but I've witnessed new people being born outside of player forts (in Legends) when I tested that. I think there's a hard population cap which most worldgens have already reached by the time play begins which makes it seems like this is the case. That and the fact that children rarely become histfigs so you have to run a world at least 12 years before the new people start doing anything of note.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:30:26 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 02:54:01 am »

And some things continue after world gen, but using (slightly) different rules. I believe combat (outside of fortresses) is a bit more detailed in the active world, for instance, and it seems civs slowly crumble by falling apart as sites cease to belong to any civs, while still being populated, in the active world, with those sites not being (re)claimed by anyone. It's a slow process, though, so you'd probably have to run your fortress for 50 years or so to notice it (and this, too, may have changed since 0.40.24, which is the last version stable enough to not crash my fortresses within 30 years or so).

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 03:10:42 pm »

That's pretty disappointing...I thought it'd be cool to play in just one world going forward, from the beginning, with any new forts/advs I wanted in it. Sounds like I'd be missing alot. Do sites even get founded in background generation?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 04:28:49 pm »

Keep in mind that DF is still a very incomplete game. Just because there are certain things that don't happen post-worldgen now doesn't mean they never will, you just have to be patient. ;)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 04:57:39 pm »

That's pretty disappointing...I thought it'd be cool to play in just one world going forward, from the beginning, with any new forts/advs I wanted in it. Sounds like I'd be missing alot. Do sites even get founded in background generation?
Sites get founded, wars happen, sites are taken over, revolutions happen, sites are reclaimed. Only the few things mentioned so far don't happen. Otherwise the world is going on as usual.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 05:49:37 pm »

And one of the things that was added in the current arc was the formation of hillocks that tie themselves to your fortress, which is something you can actually see in fortress mode (although you can't do more with them than request a small number of workers from them currently, as well as to send (trouble) dorfs there). You don't even have to raid for that to happen, but your civ mustn't be a dead one (as there'd be nobody to organize the formation and nowhere to draw dorfs from).

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 07:57:00 pm »

And one of the things that was added in the current arc was the formation of hillocks that tie themselves to your fortress, which is something you can actually see in fortress mode (although you can't do more with them than request a small number of workers from them currently, as well as to send (trouble) dorfs there). You don't even have to raid for that to happen, but your civ mustn't be a dead one (as there'd be nobody to organize the formation and nowhere to draw dorfs from).
Sites get founded, wars happen, sites are taken over, revolutions happen, sites are reclaimed. Only the few things mentioned so far don't happen. Otherwise the world is going on as usual.

I guess I misunderstood about sites and claiming, that's a relief.

What about the writing of books and poems? Do those count as artifacts, and thus stop?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 08:06:07 pm »

I guess I misunderstood about sites and claiming, that's a relief.

What about the writing of books and poems? Do those count as artifacts, and thus stop?
I'm not sure. They've were put in at a different time to worldgen artifact creation so they might continue. Check out Legends Mode after a couple of years of play.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 09:57:46 pm »

There are a few things that don't happen (like the transformation process of night creatures), but yes, sites will continue to be founded, reclaimed, and conquered. I believe trade also goes on. There's probably a bit more in-depth simulation after worldgen; for adventure mode the advancement is a bit more complex which is why it takes a longer time.

The news gets updated on the world map, and you can see roughly how armies marched (from where to where) and where some expeditions went. Some.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 11:41:35 pm »

There are a few things that don't happen (like the transformation process of night creatures), but yes, sites will continue to be founded, reclaimed, and conquered. I believe trade also goes on. There's probably a bit more in-depth simulation after worldgen; for adventure mode the advancement is a bit more complex which is why it takes a longer time.

The news gets updated on the world map, and you can see roughly how armies marched (from where to where) and where some expeditions went. Some.

*gasp*

So there won't be any vamps or werebeasts in this world?! I didn't even think of that lol...although I think you can find some as random monster pods, right?

Well, I can always just set up an insanity room in a fort and let some walled-in naked troublemaker topple a holy statue in there...I think, anyway. I've never actually put this idea into practice.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 03:35:30 am »

At least vampires and weres alive from world gen continue to exist (until slain) and they can infect new ones in fortress mode at least (I haven't looked at dates for Legends entries to see if they also continue to spread the curses outside of the fortress, although attempts to infect prisoners and release them to try to bring down invaders as they turn when back home haven't been successful). NEW vampire and were curses in the world isn't much of an issue, as the rate at which that happens is so low that it probably wouldn't happen during the existence of a normal fortress anyway (or the world would be overrun by them).

The forum has had reports of curse generation in fortress mode, so it can be assumed to work, with the tricky part being to get access to a suitable god (i.e. one that dispenses curses).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 04:01:17 am »

The forum has had reports of curse generation in fortress mode, so it can be assumed to work, with the tricky part being to get access to a suitable god (i.e. one that dispenses curses).
What happens in a fortress has nothing to do with Worldgen. Artifacts are produced in fortresses and not outside. Might be the same with werewolves. But I don't know either way.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 12:29:15 pm »

Sorry, Shonai_Dweller, but you misunderstood me. My comment referred to the OP:s comment about setting up an insanity room, which I assume is possible only in Fortress mode.
Pages: [1] 2