Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is world generation the same during gameplay?  (Read 2030 times)

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is world generation the same during gameplay?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 07:06:08 pm »

At least vampires and weres alive from world gen continue to exist (until slain) and they can infect new ones in fortress mode at least (I haven't looked at dates for Legends entries to see if they also continue to spread the curses outside of the fortress, although attempts to infect prisoners and release them to try to bring down invaders as they turn when back home haven't been successful). NEW vampire and were curses in the world isn't much of an issue, as the rate at which that happens is so low that it probably wouldn't happen during the existence of a normal fortress anyway (or the world would be overrun by them).

The forum has had reports of curse generation in fortress mode, so it can be assumed to work, with the tricky part being to get access to a suitable god (i.e. one that dispenses curses).

I thought a little more about this while I played, and now I'm wondering: are all vamps and weres historical figures? I've seen what I thought was a vampire as an asterisk on the world map, chasing me and then running away, and werebeasts can be encountered, but do they generate as random encounters, without respect to history or populations?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 09:51:20 pm »

At least vampires and weres alive from world gen continue to exist (until slain) and they can infect new ones in fortress mode at least (I haven't looked at dates for Legends entries to see if they also continue to spread the curses outside of the fortress, although attempts to infect prisoners and release them to try to bring down invaders as they turn when back home haven't been successful). NEW vampire and were curses in the world isn't much of an issue, as the rate at which that happens is so low that it probably wouldn't happen during the existence of a normal fortress anyway (or the world would be overrun by them).

The forum has had reports of curse generation in fortress mode, so it can be assumed to work, with the tricky part being to get access to a suitable god (i.e. one that dispenses curses).

I thought a little more about this while I played, and now I'm wondering: are all vamps and weres historical figures? I've seen what I thought was a vampire as an asterisk on the world map, chasing me and then running away, and werebeasts can be encountered, but do they generate as random encounters, without respect to history or populations?
Nothing "generates randomly" anymore.

There are historical characters - and I think the process of being cursed automatically promotes someone to that status.

And there are abstracted populations.
Might the abstract population of an area include X number of vampires? I don't think so, but it's possible I guess. In that case you were in an area which is known to have X number of vampires, as you walked through one got upgraded to histfig status to chase after you.

But, like I say, I'm pretty sure all vampires are histfigs.

If you export your Legends before you start a new adventurer/site you'll be able to check if anything you encountered already existed.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:57:41 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 07:56:35 am »

I'm pretty sure all vampires and weres are historical figures, in contrast to, for example, necromancer zombies.

It's also why, for example, nearly all night creatures you came across have had an important job before. All the worlds I've played in had at the least one lawgiver who became a necromancer; it's a side effect of the limited pool of people the game can pull from. This will proly change up a bit with next release and its increased amount of positions(One of the reasons for all the world-gen side tracking, in fact).

Outside of fairs, vampire inquisitions don't happen in play either, but maybe that's gonna change up a bit in the coming releases as well.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 [2]