Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My attempts at a beast slayer  (Read 8398 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: My attempts at a beast slayer
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 07:53:00 pm »

Encumbrance issues maybe? How much stuff are you carrying?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 05:38:00 pm »

It was absoultely encumbrance. What's weird is that it doesn't add up; I only slowed down after I picked up the roc's stuff; meanwhile, to get my normal speed back, I had to drop all the useless armor, skulls, bones, coins, and some other stuff to speed back up. I left it all at lockedsabres.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2019, 04:10:07 am »

As I was wandering around the village looking for some food, I found the most useful bridge in the entire world.
Bridge" border="0

This somehow makes the game feel more realistic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2019, 07:22:13 pm »

I got a hammerdwarf to come with me to the minotaur's lair; It certainly did the trick. I killed it without trouble, and the hammerdwarf didn't even die! She got debilitating injuries to her leg, yes, so I swapped her for a macedwarf. I then went to the nearby ettin's lair, murdered it, grabbed both of it's skulls, and headed back to Lockedsabres. I then went yeti hunting, and I got to it's lair... But there was no yeti in it. Weird.

(Here's a thought I had; while Leosaltu is walking down the road, a farmer says to him, "How'd you lost your hand?
"Roc."
"Ah, a landslide got you, eh?"
"No, not a rock, a roc, a dragon-sized, man-eating, fortress-toppling monster bird. It's skull is in Lockedsabres if you want to see it.
"..."
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2019, 08:37:01 pm »

As I was wandering around the village looking for some food, I found the most useful bridge in the entire world.
Bridge" border="0

This somehow makes the game feel more realistic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*snort*

Brilliant.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2019, 02:56:38 pm »

I left the yeti's lair and headed to the nearest labyrinth. I couldn't find it, so I headed to the other minotaur. I went in there, and found that this one was multileveled. This minotaur obviously was much better home builder than the other ones. It died quickly though. Should of spent more time at the gym instead of the homebuilder's committee.
THis is out of the plan, but I'm going to savescum the bronze colossus.
As you might guess, it did not go well.
All I managed to do is pull the neck and shoulders.
It'll need a massage.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2019, 11:25:32 pm »

I left the yeti's lair and headed to the nearest labyrinth. I couldn't find it, so I headed to the other minotaur. I went in there, and found that this one was multileveled. This minotaur obviously was much better home builder than the other ones. It died quickly though. Should of spent more time at the gym instead of the homebuilder's committee.
THis is out of the plan, but I'm going to savescum the bronze colossus.
As you might guess, it did not go well.
All I managed to do is pull the neck and shoulders.
It'll need a massage.

:-* One wonders how loot the other mino had. $$work permits$$ for those extra lvls and all that.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 12:58:12 pm »

(Back! Back you foul fiend that is hoi4! You shall not cause another good game to sink into the recesses of my files!)

So I tried to savescum a dragon, but I cannot for the life of me find the cave entrance. I now the general area, which is a certain hill, but that;s as much as I know. Is there a utility for this somewhere? Because if I can't even find this cave how am I supposed to kill all the megabeasts?

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 06:44:16 pm »

Soooo
I traveled back north.
I tried to attack a roc but it kicked my butt.
Sooo I savescummed
but i'm outta time for today cause of all that travelling.
Sorry.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2019, 05:43:14 pm »

Now There was a hydra near here as well, so I'll try that as well.
First attempt: Hydra came out of cave, did pretty well but still got me in the end.
Second attempt: Hydra came out of cave, killed me instantly.
Third attempt: Finally found cave in limestone mountain, went really deep, did well until my pike got stuck in it's chest and it jumped away, forcing me to wrestle it out but I kept missing since I suck at wrestling.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2019, 06:23:25 pm »

Quite recently I tried making a character similar to yours, surprisingly it worked quite well and I managed to get a kill list of 300 creatures, including 20 or so megabeasts.

The best contributor to my success was an artifact that I had found quite unexpectedly among a cheese-necromancer's hoard - An artifact grade steel greataxe - which was able to decapitate most everything I came across in a single blow.
Every manner of creature fell to my blade, and soon enough my adventurer was known throughout the land as a legendary fighter and completer of quests.

It fell apart however after I killed a werewolf and drank its' blood, granting me the power to turn into the beast at will.
It worked fine for quite some time, I'd fight until my adventurer got hurt then embrace the bloodlust to heal to full.
Unfortunately, I eventually ran into a bug, I could no longer carry anything with a weight without having my speed reduced to the minimum value, which I think is .0099.
It only happened after I transformed while I was already a werewolf, so I assume that was the cause.

I managed to *T*ravel back to my hometown, but not without being ambushed 6 times.
The first few combats were only won thanks to my luck and absolute immense skill at dodging, blocking, and similar skills that had been honed through several years of constant combat.
Eventually, I happened upon a decent strategy - by pressing the "." or "," key I could pass only a few moments at a time - allowing me to stand still and let the attackers come to me ensuring their swift death.

Upon reaching my home I talked to my old friends and asked to stay before retiring the character.

I checked each and every one of my stats, none of them were suspicious in any fashion.
And I tried multiple times to see if the bug could be fixed by turning back into a werewolf or even transforming while already one but unfortunately I had no luck.

Too bad too as I really enjoyed playing as Wyr Ancientanger the deceitful fortress, whose axe, Wornsilver the soft silkiness, slew untold horrors.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2019, 06:24:36 pm »

So I continued on, travelling back to my hometown, Limbfrills, with a legendary name, one less hand and layers of blood on my boots.
And your know who was there?
Geņo.
Anyway, I retired (temporarily) so I could see legends mode.
I looked at the titans, some examples:
A fire 'quadruped,'
A glass webber,
A hairy leach with gas, and
A spitting, eyeless zebra.
Oh dear.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 06:10:38 pm »

So I went south of Limbfrills and crossed the isthmus to the other continent. This continent contains most of the titans as well as some other beasts, including a hydra.
______
I didn't get very far due to the fact that I got nauseous and had to savescum.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2019, 05:52:58 am »

When I read this I imagined an area where Minotaurs and other mega beasts went to talk about building homes and an adventurer sneaking in and finding this, not getting detected, and sneaking out to head back to a town to try explaining what he/she found

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2019, 07:05:20 pm »

Good start on this continent. THe nearesy lair was a giant's, and I butchered it easily, as expected. I then went to the "Heliotrope mountain," a shrine containing a flying blob of fire. I melted a little but killed it without a problem. No souvenir from this one though, except some ashy sand, for obvious reasons.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4