Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My attempts at a beast slayer  (Read 8399 times)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
My attempts at a beast slayer
« on: March 08, 2019, 03:48:57 pm »

Here is the link to the first My Attempts:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173253.msg7930100#msg7930100

My goal for this adventure is to kill as many megabeasts/semi-megabeasts/misc large monsters (Like giant animals) as possible. This is a little generic, but it'll be fun.
I'll be playing as Leosaltu Tamnuse (Dragonacts) a Jaguar man Pikeman. The world is called... is called... The Planet of Mouthfulls, Ashishagthothadar, The Wondrous Everseeing Planets.

Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Settings:

Adventurer:
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My attempts at a beast slayer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 04:24:30 pm »

As I was wandering around the village looking for some food, I found the most useful bridge in the entire world.
Bridge" border="0
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 04:00:31 am »

I'm sure that bridge is very useful for those who can only walk in straight lines, or are allergic to grass. ;D Interested to see how very short world history and very high savagery mesh- I've never tried messing with the worldgen settings before.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 10:05:28 am »

One of the disadvantages of this world is that there is ONE Mead Hall halfway across the world. There are also no vampires, werebeasts, or necromancer. I also would of done it longer, but I was worried all the megabeasts would be killed and the land would be overrun with goblins.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 05:35:11 pm »

So I got a lasher, Geņo, then went to the beach where I butchered some albatross and got their meat and bones. (It feels REALLY nice to one shot an animal compared to the endless beating of a mace.) I carved their bones and traded with Geņo, me gaining some bronze armor and him some crappy figurines. I was also hoping to train armor user/shield user (Get a crab, let it punch me) but Geņo kept killing them. We went back to town and he vanished, so I hired a maceman to scam trade for armor. At this point, with a little armor and mostly my starting stats, do you think I could kill a giant?

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:17:26 am »

Random chance is enough of a factor early on that it'd probably be a gamble. Either you'll decapitate it in a single blow or you'll miss five thousand times while it mauls you. Either way, it'll be Fun!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 09:59:05 am »

I'd say yeah you could kill a giant, but as things stand it's also incredibly likely that the giant will be able to get you too. Big creatures that get a successful charge or grab on you can be incredibly fatal, so it's best to keep some hired goons at hand to help even the playing field a bit

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 06:55:20 pm »

I seem to have ran into a strange bug. My companions will disappear and teleport nearby. Also, this.
Clone" border="0
It only started after I told Geņo to yield when fighting a horse shoe crab.
Wandered some more. Traded for more armor. Started toward a legendary dingo's den to get some fame. Took FOREVER to kill an ostrich. Not looking so good for giant killing. (Sorry for the unexciting update, took time to find the beak dog stats.)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 10:19:15 pm »

So I got a lasher, Geņo, then went to the beach where I butchered some albatross and got their meat and bones. (It feels REALLY nice to one shot an animal compared to the endless beating of a mace.) I carved their bones and traded with Geņo, me gaining some bronze armor and him some crappy figurines. I was also hoping to train armor user/shield user (Get a crab, let it punch me) but Geņo kept killing them. We went back to town and he vanished, so I hired a maceman to scam trade for armor. At this point, with a little armor and mostly my starting stats, do you think I could kill a giant?

Pretty much any adventurer, peasant/hero/demigod can solo kill a giant/cyclops/ettin as a first fight with no training up. If you check the raws, you'll notice those semi-megabeasts have no skills. They're just big. If on the off-chance they connect, because size=dmg, well then you might be dead.

The generic melee advice is still:
1. Spam edged attack to foot/leg to cause grounding and remove enemy charge. Standing vs grounding also grants you double momentum on all your swings. If you were running a peasant with novice level skills, you'd want all the best buffs (ie be at Focused!).
2. Inflict penalty status effects if possible. Nausea (lower body) and stun (head) will debuff by 50% improving all your rolls, offensive and most importantly defensive.

Irrespective of being a peasant/hero/demigod, if you're super-cautious you'll run the multi-attack game (quick attack + directional dodge away) initially for grounding. This handles charge and grab evasion as the positional result will have one tile of separation between you and your opponent. Because of this tile separation, should an enemy grab you, this multi-attack will cause a grip break.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 10:47:26 pm »

Legendary wrestler is mandatory just for grip-breaking alone, as a novice wrestler facing a much larger creature may not be able to break any grips, resulting in shattered legs and broken skulls

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 11:18:26 pm »

Legendary wrestler is mandatory just for grip-breaking alone, as a novice wrestler facing a much larger creature may not be able to break any grips, resulting in shattered legs and broken skulls

When you use the multi-attack combo (quick attack + directional dodge away), your character ends up with a 1 empty tile between themselves and the NPC. The grip break is a side effect. You aren't going through the wrestling menu to grip break.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 11:33:38 pm »

When you use the multi-attack combo (quick attack + directional dodge away), your character ends up with a 1 empty tile between themselves and the NPC. The grip break is a side effect. You aren't going through the wrestling menu to grip break.
The grip break you get when moving away is based off of your relative sizes, skills and other factors like blindness or curses. If the grip break fails, you don't move away and you don't break the grip, which usually happens when something much larger than you successfully landed a grab and you lack the required skill. That's before factoring in things like relative speed too

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 01:17:18 am »

The grip break you get when moving away is based off of your relative sizes, skills and other factors like blindness or curses. If the grip break fails, you don't move away and you don't break the grip, which usually happens when something much larger than you successfully landed a grab and you lack the required skill. That's before factoring in things like relative speed too

Unless this is new to 44.xx artifact update, my experience with versions 40.xx (DF2014)-43.xx when fielding novice skilled peasant dwarves versus semimegas who have secured a grip, has been that this multi-attack combo (quick attack + directional dodge away) countermands their successful grab attack, ignoring the factors you mention, with the end result placing my character 1 tile away from the semi. Those characters were mostly avg-sized for dwarves, with above avg STR-to-high STR.

It shouldn't be happening. The game should calculate size/STR as a counter to this multi-attack combo.

The only time I've seen size/STR affect a result is when using Kisat Dur's Grab Jump or Grab Dodge to disarm. Suppositional here is I'd imagine this is the case because the action has to go through the wrestling menu and thus needs to consider wrestling calculations. With quick attack + directional dodge away, the game makes roll-to-hit for your attack + roll-to-dodge as a single action before calculating NPC grab. That's my wild guess.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:40:08 am by peasant cretin »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 02:49:00 am »

----ignore-----
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:17:53 am by peasant cretin »

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 11:34:25 am »

On another note, the giant I am going for, Ada, is obviously incompetent. She attacked the hamlet I started in once and did two things:
Attacked somebody, and failed to even injure it;
And she stole a leaf.
(Did I mention the person was a child?)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4