Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Songs of the Eons - A Grand-Strategy Game in Development  (Read 3186 times)

GamesVonJames

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Songs of the Eons - A Grand-Strategy Game in Development
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:13:52 pm »

Just spreading the word about an upcoming game that is currently in development. It is a grand-strategy game that aims to be a complete simulation of a live world.

Songs of the Eons is a grand strategy game in development by Demiansky,  a former developer of my favorite EU4 mod, MEIOU and Taxes. Currently the released version of the game is 0.1. It is currently just a world generation program. The developer is currently hard at work on version 0.2 which will add many more world generation features and lay the groundwork for actually breathing life into the world. In the roadmap linked below you can see what he is working on right now.

I am going to link a couple videos from Youtube that showoff the world generation so far. I have also provided links to all of the relevant sites for the game.

Songs of the Eons Discord - https://discordapp.com/invite/6THT2pa

Songs of the Eons Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/SongsOfTheEons

Demian's Twitch Channel - https://www.twitch.tv/demian_skye

Songs of the Eons Roadmap - https://sote.miraheze.org/wiki/Roadmap

Songs of the Eons Reddit - https://sote.miraheze.org/wiki/Roadmap

https://youtu.be/DIRG1L4-2n8

https://youtu.be/87Vhx2yt5PU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdItSJj-k0A

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
Re: Songs of the Eons - A Grand-Strategy Game in Development
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 03:18:02 pm »

Okay, I'm excited.  In my wildest dreams, this at last seems like something that might aspire to become a hybridized Paradox grand strategy - Imperialism remake featuring a procedurally generated world.  I'm wetting my pants.

But I suppose it's foolish to get excited this early on.  There's a long way to go before this is something playable and it might take a wrong turn at any of the milestones between now and release.  But the dev has produced a very seductive development roadmap...  I watch with bated breath.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 05:22:59 am »

PTW. Anyway, this will be a fantasy themed game as I see. [Future releases: Magic, Placement of magical resources, Artifacts and heroes]
Excellent, since fantasy themed cRPGs + strategies are my favourites.  8)

*edit

I just read the summary section on the wiki page. -> https://sote.miraheze.org/wiki/Summary
Quite impressive indeed. Hopefully the development will be fast enough to reach v1.0 within a few years. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:07:16 am by gimli »

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 05:59:30 am »

Saw this game mentioned on Reddit and a few other places. The idea is clearly epic, and the map/world generator thing is fairly cool itself, fired up a few worlds to look at. Even as it is, can be a great tool to create a world for some RP thing your doing. But the scope... /wipes sweat from brow. Thats a lot of work left to do / get started on.

Had my first little doubts already though when they had a big debate / vote on whether the game should become multiplayer instead of single player focused some time last month or so on the reddit. I really don't see how their idea of rising and falling civilization's over ages can become a multi-game, surely it requires time that can be skipped ahead where as a multi needs some consistant baseline? How their current idea/docs can then fit into this.. seems the idea got shot down - at least on that thread, but what the teams thinks I don't know.    ???

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 06:08:02 am »

Saw this game mentioned on Reddit and a few other places. The idea is clearly epic, and the map/world generator thing is fairly cool itself, fired up a few worlds to look at. Even as it is, can be a great tool to create a world for some RP thing your doing. But the scope... /wipes sweat from brow. Thats a lot of work left to do / get started on.

Had my first little doubts already though when they had a big debate / vote on whether the game should become multiplayer instead of single player focused some time last month or so on the reddit. I really don't see how their idea of rising and falling civilization's over ages can become a multi-game, surely it requires time that can be skipped ahead where as a multi needs some consistant baseline? How their current idea/docs can then fit into this.. seems the idea got shot down - at least on that thread, but what the teams thinks I don't know.    ???

I am not interested in MP [only] games. :) So what is their decision? Will it be SP or MP? Perhaps I will ask them about it on discord later on.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:07:47 am by gimli »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:08:42 am »

Sounds neat. I certainly hope they do, at most, SP/MP the same way you can do something like Stellaris or Civ.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 11:46:10 am »

PTW. Anyway, this will be a fantasy themed game as I see. [Future releases: Magic, Placement of magical resources, Artifacts and heroes]
Excellent, since fantasy themed cRPGs + strategies are my favourites.  8)

I believe I read in the FAQ that magic will be optional.  One could choose to create a world with or without it as a feature.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 12:13:10 pm »

I am not interested in MP [only] games. :) So what is their decision? Will it be SP or MP? Perhaps I will ask them about it on discord later on.

It didnt sound like their intention was to make it MP only, it was more along the lines of "we might make this multiplayer as well and need to decide if we want to lay the ground work for this now or not" and asking community opinion. It was sticky on Reddit with quite a lot of comments and few hundred votes on some strawpoll. Don't see the thread now, maybe removed or buried somewhere I had only dropped by the reddit occasionally.

I suggest you go ahead & ask them yourself, no more info then that.

Edit: OP, you got link for Reddit wrong, you did wiki x2
https://www.reddit.com/r/SongsOfTheEons/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:15:50 pm by Crowe~ »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 03:25:51 pm »

Crap, that guy has a world-gen project that looks like he's doing what I keep dreaming about...  I've done the same basic stuff with tectonics, etc. but have not gotten nearly as far :(

I use triangles not hexagons though - it's not possible to have a regular tessellation of a sphere with hexagons.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 04:04:54 pm »

I'll be honest (I've been aware of the project for a while now), I suspect that the extent of simulation details are going to bog down its development considerably.
That was my first thought when I heard "complete simulation of a live world". Sounds like a big project that's going to take a lot of man hours.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 05:12:35 pm »

That's exactly why I've not gotten farther in mine than "hey look I can generate a heightmap on a sphere, and color it by altitude!" stage.  Over the course of ... five years. :-[

If he does get it working though... sweet!

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 05:57:43 pm »

Well I really enjoy MEIOU, and I know I saw Demian on thee MEIOU sub-forum over on paradox area. Though tbh, I dunno what he did with MEIOU...I know he did a lot with Granada at one point, but not sure what else he did. Now I feel bad I don't know all the modders and their work on MEIOU when its my favorite mod of all time for any game. Its gotten me more hours than even Skyrim lol.

But it is nice to see they (or is it only Demian?) have a Patreon. I may toss some money his/their way for the patreon. To help support them/him.

Going back to first part though...to stay on topic, since it IS Demian's game.

What exactly did Demian work on in MEIOU if anyone knows? I can't look right now due to real life stuff going on and family over, but I'd be curious to know what he did before doing any patreon stuff.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 05:59:45 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 08:48:24 am »

Ambitious.  Put up by 2025 or go home.

(Watching these posts)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 04:22:25 pm »

If it's meant to be a game, it's pretty worrying that the entire roadmap contains literally no gameplay, only simulation aspects. It says you "influence" the situation in the summary overview, but still nothing about how. It's hard to imagine that this will end up as a fun thing even if it sees full fruition, which right now there's not enough evidence to support - the fact that the description calls it a "life's work" but it looks like it has less than a year's development begs questions about whether they really understand the scope.