Advanced search  

Poll

well?

right
left
both
none

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: which is your hand of skill?  (Read 2693 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
which is your hand of skill?
« on: March 09, 2019, 10:00:20 am »

i want to know this thing about bay12ers

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: which is your hand of skill?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 10:06:40 am »

... uh. Just to be sure, what exactly do you mean by hand of skill? Dominant hand, left-handed/right-handed stuff or something else?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 10:18:02 am »

... uh. Just to be sure, what exactly do you mean by hand of skill? Dominant hand, left-handed/right-handed stuff or something else?
I'm pretty sure he means which hand your primary skill is associated with. Like, Chain Lightning is cast from the left hand, while Fireball is thrown with the right.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:18:18 am »

Pretty logical to assume that they mean the dominant hand.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 10:20:15 am »

Dexterous, of course! ;)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 10:25:42 am »

You see, this guy's smart. Guy knows that asking "what is your dominant hand?" is boring, so he shakes it up a little and adds some ambiguity to the question. Personally, I'm impressed.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 10:25:59 am »

Left hand is the dominant one 4me, though I also have some ambidextrous/right-hand moments, like my inability to use scissors for left-handed people.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 10:52:31 am »

Left hand has the most scars but accordingly it has the most control at keeping things still or moving them through smooth curves. Right hand is better at rough motions, sawing, turning, filing, rasping, but all of that is pointless since I don't clamp things unless there's an exact type of cut where tiny errors will add up through later cuts unlike most I do where I just need to walk up to the marking line smoothly.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 11:03:16 am »

Ironically, while I am right-handed normally I become left-handed when signing in LIBRAS (Brazilian sign language / LÍngua BRAsileira de Sinais). Or what little I know of the language anyway.

Apparently this is pretty common.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 11:06:17 am »

While I do most work with my right hand, I am getting much better at performing complex tasks with my left one, due to my current vocation. (Need the strength of the dominant hand to help hold people up and such, which leaves the left one to do the various tasks that need performed.)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 11:17:13 am »

My dexterity is crap on both hands, but it appears that what little dexterity I do have heavily favors my left.
As such, I do most 'fine' work, like writing and one-handed smartphone use, with my left. Even rapid keyboard button-mashing is handled by my left hand.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 05:33:39 pm »

I think most of these discussions about handedness are a bit vain. People frequently make too much of their handedness, often while simultaneously attempting to claim being ambidextrous or some other special category. It's like if green eye-color had some unsubstantiated associations with some special quality (even something of ambivalent desirability), then we might expect everyone and their grandmother to point out the minute shades of green in their eyes as a mark of something special. And I say this as someone who is left-handed; it just doesn't seem important.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 05:45:52 pm »

I think most of these discussions about handedness are a bit vain. People frequently make too much of their handedness, often while simultaneously attempting to claim being ambidextrous or some other special category. It's like if green eye-color had some unsubstantiated associations with some special quality (even something of ambivalent desirability), then we might expect everyone and their grandmother to point out the minute shades of green in their eyes as a mark of something special. And I say this as someone who is left-handed; it just doesn't seem important.
I'm ambi-curious!

Actually, no, I'm a massive klutz. I trip while sleeping. It's rare that I drop things so much as spectacularly fling them away from me. Managed to flip a tea mug I was holding while sitting still in a chair.

I picked the only obvious choice: "None"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 09:13:44 pm »

My eyes do have some elements of green to them and is someone asks what color my eyes are I might have some chance to describe the green and amber and such patterns because saying it's brown is boring and makes them sound ugly when actually they have a beautiful organic pattern to them like a butterfly's wings or some shit.

Ahem.

My right hand's dominant. I'm pretty dexterous in general though.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 10:15:09 pm »

Right handed here.  The only thing I have aptitude for with my left hand is archery, where I'm only very bad instead of hopelessly terrible like I am with my right hand.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: [1] 2 3