Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petitions for Stress Reducing  (Read 1643 times)

Loimulohi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Petitions for Stress Reducing
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:44:10 am »

Hello,

#elsewhere Dwarven stress was being discussed, especially how in a large fort it might become unfeasible to micromanage tens or hundreds of dwarves, each with their own individual needs that need to be satisfied lest they become unfocused and stressed. This brought to mind an idea to give the dwarves some agency with regards to their stress.

A lot of the unhappy thoughts and stress for dwarves (seems?) to come from unfulfilled needs, eg. not leading an exciting life etc. If the dwarves could petition to eg. join the militia, or enable a craft that they want to practice, or similar.

The petitions could be accept / deny like currently, with accepting adding the dwarf to the militia in an available spot or creating a new squad, or would enable a craft for them, while denying would of course do nothing (except maybe give a negative thought...).
Or the petitions could be stay open until the petition has been granted via normal gameplay, or specifically denied. This would mean that eg. a petition to join the militia would need to be manually processed and added to the militia, adding some micromanaging to this feature. But on the other hand, this would mean that there would be no need for any new actions within the game engine, such as "join to militia if spot available, else create new squad and set as commander" etc. At the same time this would allow for more "complex" petitions such as "Build a temple to Egor the Mountains of Strength," which obviously would need to be manually planned and built by the player, and as such couldn't really be an accept / deny -type of petition.

Similar ideas have been floated around, such as http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169954.msg7714674#msg7714674 and to a lesser degree http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171143.msg7822729#msg7822729
My hope is that implementing this feature would be relatively simple, since the petition system is an existing one, and the stress system already has hooks to some sort of character actions. Especially if the petitions are implemented only as the "do it yourself, or dismiss" type outlined above, then the actual lines of code added could be shockingly low, while the added quality of life for controlling dwarven stress could be enormous.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

janxious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • buy me a coffee
Re: Petitions for Stress Reducing
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:44:36 am »

Quite like it, and can imagine a number of other different ways this kind of information could be surfaced en masse. But having something that is actionable and does the action for me would be very good.
so many orthoclase blocks

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Petitions for Stress Reducing
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 12:35:03 pm »

This seems to be the most elegant solution by far, instead of just nerfing stress, make it something we can interact with meaningfully through the dwarves own initiative even.