Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Observations on AI rebellion  (Read 2339 times)

Vegust

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Observations on AI rebellion
« on: December 09, 2019, 12:40:42 am »

I was playing around with various Masterwork additions, in particular, golems. Forged a bunch from different metals, formed a military. At the same time, I was messing around with Forest Spiders (smaller aboveground substitute for GCS) trying to make a webbed cage trap. Something went bad, my spider was killed by a goblin "bait" that I forgot to disarm, so I sent my golem squad to clear the mess. Upon their arrival, I saw an announcement that one of my Lead golems was killed. But how could that happen? Apparently, after killing that goblin, my military started killing each other and all other fortress citizens that were trying to haul goblin/spider remains from the test site. I didn't know what to do, I tried to give them other orders, disband/reform squads, reassign jobs, but with no results. I also switched Fortress Alert, so all my civilian dwarfs would run into my Fortress Core, away from this strange fight. When I gave this order, I witnessed how one of the Mithril golems was walking after retreating civilians with his ≡Mithril Great Axe≡ and "No job" labor...

Meeting area
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My fortress core had 3 vertical up/down stairways close to each other, and all dwarf activities were crumpled around them, so no one should ever walk more than 10 tiles between common activities. It is effective, but also exposes all my civilian population to those mithril golems lured in my main meeting area. All dwarfs were quickly slaughtered and all that was left is one dwarf child caught in apparently a battle royale between 12 mithril golems (golems from all other metals died pretty quick). They could not kill each other for weeks so this fight gave them absurd amounts of XP.

Typical combat log:

I still couldn't figure out the reason why it happened, was it some exotic form of a loyalty cascade from killing that goblin? Funny how before that I was wondering if golems suffer from low focus penalty because they never try to satisfy their needs, but this accident might have improved their focus a bit.

This child also for some reason tried to fight one of the fortress pets.

Oh well, this child is gone.

After a long sitting with 12 FPS, only 2 golems remained. One of the military golems with great axe and shield and one of the newer golems who was not assigned to military and initially was busy boosting his civilian skills through libraries.

Stats of the military one:
Stats of the civilian one:
Result:

In the end, "civilian" golem won (Kicking and striking with bare hands is more effective against mithril tissue that mithril axes?) and I was left with him and 2 migrants that were late to the event.

Because for a short time I had no valid dwarf to inherit the "Expedition leader" position, my Noble screen bugged out and I was unable to assign any nobles. At this point, I was considering abandoning this fortress but then I read that this bug can be fixed with future migrant waves, so I expelled those migrants (since the only work for them in the coming 1-2 years is carrying corpses and all they would do is topple all my stuff while in constant tantrum, so why bother with them). My golem started cleaning up the fortress for future repopulation. During this time I got sieged by Naga. I couldn't assign this guy to any squads even through the military screen because golems cant hold positions but I brought him to naga with work orders to see him quickly killing everyone which is not that impressive considering that they don't have any weapons and he is immune to their venom.

After some time new migrants have arrived and I tried my best to keep them sane in this environment. During this time one of them finally got an Expedition leader position and all other positions became available again. Too bad this guy has gone stark raving mad after the cleaning and burial was over, but at least he lasted long enough so this title went to one of the untouched migrants. And they lived happily ever after.

So now I have a one-man army invincible warrior (90k size, mithril body, no organs, immune to pain, fear, venom, webs, fire, no needs, 5200 strength, 5200 toughness, Lvl 26 Dodger, Lvl 123 Fighter, Lvl 75 Striker, Lvl 83 Wrestler) who already been tested on some Forest Titans and an orc siege (Killed everyone completely untouched).

So, I have some questions:

1) Can he clear Underworld alone? What could kill him? (Dragonfire?)
2) What is more effective: letting him fight without weapons (like he did with other mithril golems) or using a weapon, if he only has lvl 7 axe skill? Against conventional enemies out of flesh and with organs and stuff. I can also apply runes for better effect.
3) What caused this in the first place?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:44:09 am by Vegust »