Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: possibly the wor-...funnest idea a newb could have!  (Read 2011 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: possibly the wor-...funnest idea a newb could have!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 02:44:32 am »

The distance restriction for building walls applies to the surface only. For the caverns you can build directly at the edges, so it's possible to secure them completely. I generally leave 4 "pockets" (one at each side) where entering critters can be kept outside, unless they're interesting, in which case I lower a drawbridge to let them into the airlock (and the cages there). If you do get an issue with reanimated critters the airlock can be modified for capturing/destruction of critters. Note that if you get undead entering, they typically cycle through as normal visiting critter groups, and thus leave after a while, so unless a pocket has both living and undead critters entering there should be no buildup, although FBs can contribute to a bit of a mess to handle.

Fighting is dangerous, so running away is typically a safer option than embarking with a fighting squad. Dig out an area as quickly as possible and block access with a door or hatch, haul as much of your stuff inside, and keep an eye open for dangerous critters entering (the units-other tab is useful for that). Getting farming going inside in case of you having to turtle is important, as well as getting building material inside for building of workshops, in particular if you have an aquifer blocking access to stone (in which case it's important to also ensure you get the parts for a screw pump so you can pierce the aquifer while waiting out a siege).

A single dorf fortress will have to do what's needed to keep things going and prepare for migrants. Also note that while a door/hatch is an initial line of defense, an airlock (two drawbridges with some room in between) is where you'd want to go unless playing with an "open fortress" restriction. Note that a locked door may give you enough time to build a wall inside of it should you encounter building destroying invaders.

Emerald-Ignis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 06:35:46 am »

welp,my last dwarf,who ironically was the only one the chief medical examiner managed to save before he dyed and then got beaten to death by this dwarf,has just died....from drowning in the aquifer.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 10:53:21 am »

First time I tried a terrifying embark I discovered Giant Mosquito Corpses and never got to dig down before everyone died, as I recall the damn things could still fly and drain an adult dwarf completely in one strike.

Swamps are not nice.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 02:12:15 pm »

First time I tried a terrifying embark I discovered Giant Mosquito Corpses and never got to dig down before everyone died, as I recall the damn things could still fly and drain an adult dwarf completely in one strike.

Swamps are not nice.

Giant Mosquito Corpses are about as terrifying as it gets! 

In my recent reanimating embark, I learned another valuable lesson.  If you don't open the gates before the caravan arrives, they will bypass your fort.  However, if you do open the gates, it would be a good idea to monitor the surface area for undead herds.  I had tested out the open gates a few times, and no dwarves ever ventured to the surface so I didn't think much about leaving it open for a week or so.  However I did have 1 pastured reindeer calf that I was waiting to grow before butchering up there.  An undead yak herd spooked it (they are very spookable) and a dwarf went to re-pasture it, but ended up luring the herd right into the front gate.  Then there was a spiral of recovering wounded creating more wounded.  The mace-dwarf squad was able to handle it, but by the time I even noticed what was happening, 14 dwarves had died, including my lvl 18 armorsmith!  Fortunately, the caravan still made it in with all their wagons.
Pages: 1 [2]