Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So. Big news today.  (Read 6819 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
So. Big news today.
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:48:50 am »

Hello everyone.

If you have not seen it already, there was a big post by Tarn Adams on his Patreon page about an upcoming Steam release of DF, including better visuals and audio. Mike Mayday and me are the ones working on the tileset, and I'll be somewhat responsible to help people port their mods to the Steam workshop, once we get that far.

I'm sorry for my absence here, but I've known about the premium DF version for almost half a year and have been working on that; the mod took a step back, especially considering that I want to make a fitting, fully graphically supported MasterworkDF for Steam too. (Free of course) This will take away my least favourite part of modding: Hunting down dfhack-related crashes and issues using mutiple tilesets. Both of those will be non-issues because DF will have all of that fancy graphical support natively.

My plan is to make MasterworkDF a all-races-playable mod, with one unique playstyle for each of the 5 civs, with full graphical support in the same style and quality as the official DF graphics.

Please let me know what you guys think. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:59:23 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ILBane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So. Big news today.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 11:28:46 am »

Godspeed Meph, and I look forward to playing it on Steam.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 11:32:17 am »

While I have serious concerns related to marketing, I'll be the cheeky shit and say "At least now I can do that fort without an update every week and a half." :P

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 03:50:09 pm »

Good to know actually, I was slightly concerned that you had abandoned the project because of lack of updates, so I was wary about putting up a patreon, it is good to hear that you are doing stuff behind the scenes which eased my fears. Keep up the good work.

Will you be keeping the mod launcher and support for the free version of the game? I plan on buying the steam version but i do really like the launcher you have
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:54:36 pm by Apollo Densin »
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 04:39:22 pm »

I plan to make the launcher for both the free and the steam version. I hope SteamWorkshop doesn't muck things up too much.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 08:10:59 pm »

What will happen to the MDF-only races? IE Orcs and Succubi. I still miss Drow and Gnomes and I hope that we won't lose more races in the port. Same goes for the other mods currently bundled in the MDF launcher. Will we be able to retain the mods like Fortress Defense and the armory packs in the move to Steam?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 09:04:03 pm »

Orcs are Smakes work, Succubi Boltguns. I'd be happy to have them, but I think it would most sense if they update/port them themselves. It's always hard working with other peoples code.

I probably won't keep third-party mods (that would be unfair), instead I'll write them on my own. I have to go through everything by hand anyway, see what needs sprites and create those. It mostly comes down to when the steam release will be: Will I be in Germany, with internet and free time; or will I be on tour, mostly without electricity and no time. ^^

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 03:51:18 pm »

I started a new thread by mistake, and then noticed this post :D.

There has been a reason why I abandoned the modding theater for a long time. Mostly work and family.

But today I saw something that I thought would never happen... DF is coming to Steam with graphics and mod support.

So I thought this forum section is the best for me to spring up out of nowhere and ask Meph and people participating in the development of this amazing modpack.

Do you guys hang out in some Discord or similar channel, and do you think it would be not a long shot to prepare tiles and other stuff based on what we already know to port the modpack in the new version when it eventually comes together?

Help this orc wrestler beat the living hell out of this poor dwarf by materializing from the "mods" folder:

(sorry, a quick dirty sprite, I could not help myself :D)

I have to go through everything by hand anyway, see what needs sprites and create those.
Will you accept any kind of help with sprites/any plans to make a tracker of sort for this, or do you want to do it all by yourself?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:54:15 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 04:45:28 pm »

We hang out on Bay12. Truth be told, I haven't modded much these last 2 years, because I've done tilesets and that secret tileset. And RL stuff. I'd really like to get back into it, with some fancy new mods prepared for the Steam launch.

So anything you want to discuss, prepare or help, we can talk about it on Bay12. If that's fine with you. :)

Preparing sprites and modded content I want to do before Steam DF is released; best case scenario I "launch" the mod the same day Toady launches DF on Steam.

I'm not sure how the ethical and legal stand-point is on joint ventures on the SteamWorkshop. I love working together with people, just look at Vordaks additions to my tilesets, or Smakes/Boltguns Orcs/Succubi, but I don't want to take away their spotlight. Especially if the SteamWorkshop allows easy mod-merging. I'd certainly be grateful for any help, but then again I also have that Patreon (with $130 monthly atm) running, so I'd feel kinda bad to gobble up all the mods once more, like in the MasterworkDF for 34.11. I kinda wanted to move away from that.

So, all in all: No idea. You up for a joint venture, the MephDay-tileset-New-Premium-Masterwork-Genesis? :D

PS: Orc sprites you say?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 06:38:57 pm »

Money/credit is never a problem for me. I managed to rise to a mid-level management position, so I am finally at a point in my life when my kids are standalone-enough and I can do what I want when I don't work. So let's see how it goes, and I will be happy to assist whenever :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 09:45:41 pm »

I would like to see the other races like Orcs be included still, but that is something you guys need to work out. As for goblins vs orcs discussion i saw in another thread. I saw DF gobbo's as more like hobgoblins, sort of regimented and lawful where the orcs seem a bit more chaotic.

If you decide to part ways, will the launcher be updated potientially to accept other mods? So I could plug in the orc mod if I would like it at a later time.
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 10:05:38 pm »

I'm not even sure if there will be a launcher, at least not like it is now. SteamWorkshop might handle installing and merging mods on it's own.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 02:26:16 am »

The only thing I really ask from all this is basically just some feedback on how modding could be improved for steam workshop support. Nothing else is as important, and this is what I believe will make people happiest.

Seriously, the sky's the limit with surprisingly simple stuff in place. I'm excited for the future.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 04:02:52 pm »

The only thing I really ask from all this is basically just some feedback on how modding could be improved for steam workshop support. Nothing else is as important, and this is what I believe will make people happiest.

Seriously, the sky's the limit with surprisingly simple stuff in place. I'm excited for the future.

I agree whole heartedly, I often find myself thinking about the tens of thousands of lines of DFHack code I've written to do something that would be relatively straight forward to add as moddable options. I'm a little nervous about the steam workshop, but this would be the perfect time to move so much more stuff into the moddable realm

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 04:25:21 pm »

Believe me, I'll do my best to get Tarn to add more mod support and to figure out how SteamWorkshop works with mods. After all I want to mod too. ;)

Any specific requests? ^^
Pages: [1] 2 3