Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The big wait/steam release  (Read 1844 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The big wait/steam release
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:49:07 am »

Wow, surprised to hear the very big news about the steam release. Hoping it does fantastic!
That being said, I can imagine this making the big wait become significantly slower.

I’m guessing the update process will need to be similar to how big mods do it now; the main release on bay12, followed by the mod release maybe 6 months later.

I’m guessing they’ll need to do the same thing for steam right? Just seems like waiting until after the big wait to release on steam might save a lot of trouble. Otherwise the steam release is really going to play catch up to incorporate significant game changes.

Thoughts on this, and future releases?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: The big wait/steam release
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 10:56:26 am »

Not necessarily, don't forget that one of the things with mods and the like is that Toady only showed what the new raws and stuff would look like upon request. In this case, he can sent a message to Mike and Meph that a certain list of tiles will be necessary and he can work on finalizing/bugfixes while those two make graphics.

What will happen is that there will be a graphics devcycle for autumn, but we were going to sit around and wait for some other villains stuff too. So big wait will take another... year before it starts?

I mean, look at the bright side, if meph and mike are slow, then that doesn't prevent Toady from doing more polishing while he waits, and that can hardly be a bad thing.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 11:23:42 am »

I think there’s a lot of potential bright sides, not worries about that. And yah, I guess if this is mostly aesthetic, then the changes shouldn’t take too long to incorporate (though they’ll definitely need to update the UI to keep up with similar Steam releases).

Also, some people called me crazy, just gonna put this here:

I thought the big wait was going to start almost a year ago with the demonstration announcements and whatnot. Long waits that weren’t called ‘the long wait’ have taken 2 years before.

I’m guessing 4 years +

But what’s nice with this, is Toady now makes mini releases much more frequently, so that’s nice and exciting in the meantime. Hopefully the long wait has a couple of those, otherwise like before, I’ll wait a year for mods to ramp up, and I’ll play those until the main release. (Looking at you Meph!)

My biggest concern is post long wait. I wonder if DF will still be the primary concern. My life has conditioned me to believing DF is a constant in our world, but idk, I get a feeling Toady might pick up something else after the long wait. Anyone else get that feeling at all?

As another bright side, I think it’s very good that we start getting more hands involved with DF anyhow, if emergencies happen, there’s probably very little time to take care of something this big and sophisticated. And it’s very nice they decided to get people on board who have been very involved with the community.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 01:17:41 pm »

To be honest I think this is great.  All they need to do, which they plan to do, it put in a graphic tile.  Even the UI isn't that bad.  UnReal World is on Steam and it's UI is not perfect either yet a lot of people play it who would have never known about it.  DF will now RULE the planet!  BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 01:23:20 pm »

I mean, look at the bright side, if meph and mike are slow, then that doesn't prevent Toady from doing more polishing while he waits, and that can hardly be a bad thing.
How dare you? :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 04:30:44 pm »

How dare you? :P
See? Wasting time posting rather than plugging away... :P

SedrynTyros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sedryn's Corner
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 02:54:17 pm »

How exciting!  Definitely looking forward to this.
Addendum to PeridexisErrant’s DF Walkthrough, based on v40.24:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ObFaFWdTBm8sUDbSyLwJhByJ8UTAlw3K

PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.44.12-r05 with additional, separate options for TWBT versions of graphics packs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q1DNngwQZzYD2pZg2RuubEYytEo_8rp4