Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress is comming to Steam  (Read 8182 times)

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress is comming to Steam
« on: March 13, 2019, 12:20:58 pm »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/975370/Dwarf_Fortress/
 just putting it here in case people don't know about this yet
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress is comming to Steam
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 01:21:55 pm »

Love it so much! A little bit disappointed they didn't get Simon Swerwer on the audio too. His work has basically defined the last four years of my playing time.
Can't wait for mod support! The graphics look fantastic! Great work, meph and mayday!

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 01:40:13 pm »

I hope the steam version is updated with all future new changes in a timely manner.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 03:26:19 pm »

Im pretty excited for this, as well as donations have been going since they added patreon definitely feel like they deserve more for what they do and more modding support going forward sounds amazing.  Definitely the right way to do this continuing the regular free version as well
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 03:27:54 pm »

Kinda feels like a cash grab to get people who wouldn't ever find out about the game to buy  something totally free that has "special" features unlike the free version. (Nice graphics though)

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 03:29:09 pm »

I am really happy about this. Maybe we will even got a new UI?
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 03:32:23 pm »

Kinda feels like a cash grab to get people who wouldn't ever find out about the game to buy  something totally free that has "special" features unlike the free version. (Nice graphics though)
Well i think fundamentally thats true (going on the patreon email where actual and potential medical costs are mentioned)
But is there anything wrong with that? DF is a totally unique project built on donations only up to this point, i think its more than fair to sell such an amazing thing (especially with the new improvements mentioned)
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 04:09:03 pm »

Well i think fundamentally thats true (going on the patreon email where actual and potential medical costs are mentioned)
But is there anything wrong with that? DF is a totally unique project built on donations only up to this point, i think its more than fair to sell such an amazing thing (especially with the new improvements mentioned)
It is completely fair to sell it like that but it's just a little weird on how it's being advertised  as having actual (non Ascii which are free to download and install)graphics and modding support when both of those are already available for free and extremely easy to install, it may just be how major gaming newsletters and such that are ignorant of these facts making it sound like a huge upgrade.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 04:22:44 pm »

To be fair, the new graphics back-end will be much more extensive. The "official" graphics will look much better than the best tileset now.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 04:32:46 pm »

It is completely fair to sell it like that but it's just a little weird on how it's being advertised  as having actual (non Ascii which are free to download and install)graphics and modding support when both of those are already available for free and extremely easy to install, it may just be how major gaming newsletters and such that are ignorant of these facts making it sound like a huge upgrade.
I dont think there is anything weird with how its being advertise at all. The publically aviable patreon and the Kitfaq both say rather plainly that the free ascii version will always be avialable. Kitfox Games has no access to the source code and no power over devolopment of Dwarf Fortress. In the Kitfox FAQ, they explctly say that donating directly to Bay12Games gives Bay12 the most money. What more can they do?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 04:38:55 pm »

I haven't played Dwarf Fortress in over a year. Maybe longer. I check the forums almost daily tho (mostly the 'Other Games'-Section :))).

I am buying this. Instantly.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 04:53:14 pm »

well as I understand it there will be more modding support than there is currently (atm the only thing i consider modding support is the raws) along with workshop functionality, and as meph says these graphics will be unlike anything seen before

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 06:05:59 pm »

well as I understand it there will be more modding support than there is currently (atm the only thing i consider modding support is the raws) along with workshop functionality, and as meph says these graphics will be unlike anything seen before

All I can say is that I will pester Tarn as much as is reasonable about making things easier for modders. It's in my own best interest. :P

There are a couple of graphic features we have been talking about that were requested by people again and again over the years, especially when it comes to tileset authors and TWBT. I'll make sure that those will be heard. But I have to be vary of promising too much, letting people down in case it doesn't work in the end.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 06:10:58 pm »

Even though I plan on buying it as soon as it's out, I do hope that the plan is to have the mods be easily interchangeable between the platforms (classic and steam) so that the community that stays here, can still get all the fun.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 07:00:59 pm »

I just saw this on Steam today when I signed on lol(Dwarf Fortress group on Steam posted it). I have lurked and post a few times on these forums since 2010, and I will be buying it as soon as it releases. This is great news, and with the graphic and audio addition I can probably talk my friend into as well. He has watched me play it over the years every now and then, but he wont play because of the asc graphics. I am happy to support these guys :D.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:02:50 pm by MaGicBush »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4