Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress is comming to Steam  (Read 8229 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress is comming to Steam
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 02:37:04 am »

I just hope it is really Toady One how is behind it and that the profits go to him.
Would be a shame if someone else just wanted to rip the benefits of his work.
Does he made an announcement?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 02:51:56 am »

It is completely fair to sell it like that but it's just a little weird on how it's being advertised  as having actual (non Ascii which are free to download and install)graphics and modding support when both of those are already available for free and extremely easy to install, it may just be how major gaming newsletters and such that are ignorant of these facts making it sound like a huge upgrade.
well as I understand it there will be more modding support than there is currently (atm the only thing i consider modding support is the raws) along with workshop functionality, and as meph says these graphics will be unlike anything seen before

All I can say is that I will pester Tarn as much as is reasonable about making things easier for modders. It's in my own best interest. :P

There are a couple of graphic features we have been talking about that were requested by people again and again over the years, especially when it comes to tileset authors and TWBT. I'll make sure that those will be heard. But I have to be vary of promising too much, letting people down in case it doesn't work in the end.

Tile re-use has been a significant thorn in my side every time I have considered making a graphics pack. I refuse to put extensive effort into drawing either a tree trunk or a pillar, and then having the game use the assets inappropriately. (No, there really are NOT any trees inside your dining hall, Honest. -- etc. Likewise with things like pots, roasts, et al-- having their tiles re-used.)  It has been a sufficiently demotivating thing that I have never gotten beyond a few tiles before the anger destroys the love of the creation process, and I stop, and put it aside again.

If this version has already fixed that little problem, I will happily make additional tileset packs for the paid version. (and if the improvements translate to the free one as well, I would be happy to make ports.)

One of the recent posts in the Steam forums is about "No tiles for female dwarves yet!?", and I mentioned that castes already have the CASTE_ALTTILE token, and could theoretically display gendered sprites.  If there's a way to do this without breaking either vocation specific sprites, or dwarven fecundity, that might be something I look into.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 03:50:29 am »

Tile re-use has been a significant thorn in my side every time I have considered making a graphics pack. I refuse to put extensive effort into drawing either a tree trunk or a pillar, and then having the game use the assets inappropriately. (No, there really are NOT any trees inside your dining hall, Honest. -- etc. Likewise with things like pots, roasts, et al-- having their tiles re-used.)  It has been a sufficiently demotivating thing that I have never gotten beyond a few tiles before the anger destroys the love of the creation process, and I stop, and put it aside again.

If this version has already fixed that little problem, I will happily make additional tileset packs for the paid version. (and if the improvements translate to the free one as well, I would be happy to make ports.)
You could do that with TWBT now, if you can figure it out.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 07:14:36 am »

Any plans to update and extend the Masterwork Mod with the Steam Update Meph?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:16:21 am by Showbiz »
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 09:41:55 am »

Any plans to update and extend the Masterwork Mod with the Steam Update Meph?
I plan to have some form of it ready on launch day, yes. Including fitting sprites that match the official tileset.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 10:27:34 am »

Hope Cla graphic set will be soon adopted too :)
That is my favorite, between graphics and Ascii. Just the golden middle road.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 11:15:14 am »

Whoa, I just realized that my last post is from 2016. :D I just read about this somewhere, so I had to reactivate my account to make a post after all these years. -> Awesome news! :)
[PS. Another "whoa" moment. I just checked my account and I figured out that I registered on the forum in 2006. That was a looooooong time ago. :D]
So guys, since I haven't played for years, I've got a quick question. Is the military arc completed? I mean can we create armies and invade other settlements? If there was a feature what I always wanted to see in DF...well that is it. :) [& magic! :D]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:23:19 am by gimli »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 11:30:14 am »

Yes. There is no army vs army combat, armies can be lost without a (visible in DF mode) trace because of either bug or feature, but it's (partially) done.  :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 11:31:27 am »

You can totally send a squad of armored alcoholics to other sites to demand shiny unique artifacts, and or, cause general chaos and disorder.

You cannot unilaterally declare war and cause political strife that way yet though. Toady is still working on it.

Lestrage

• Bay Watcher
  • novice creature of the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 11:43:43 am »

Im fine with a steam version of game as long as the current free ASCII version is maintained and
it gets updated at the same time steam version is updated, and it has the same updates.

Might attract a few more players with the friendlier graphics. Hope the new people keep the community
nice, because DF community has been one of the best.

I'm sticking to ASCII myself.
Wish there could be an improvement in music though.
Is Soundsense still updated or is it dead?
The platypus is making a plaintive gesture. The pangolin is striking a menacing pose. The penguin is laughing.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 11:56:19 am »

Yes. There is no army vs army combat, armies can be lost without a (visible in DF mode) trace because of either bug or feature, but it's (partially) done.  :P

You can totally send a squad of armored alcoholics to other sites to demand shiny unique artifacts, and or, cause general chaos and disorder.

You cannot unilaterally declare war and cause political strife that way yet though. Toady is still working on it.

Thanks for the help guys! So basically we can create & send armies to invade and stuff. Can we see the battles and give orders? Also, what about the armies of other settlements? Are those generated directly from the settlements now? [It was planned many years ago] I don't really understand the army vs army thing. So it's bugged?
As for the diplomatic options..it will be awesome when we will be able to start wars, offer alliances and stuff. Toady is working on that now? [As I read, he is working on the villain arc, but I don't know what that is.]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:58:55 am by gimli »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 12:00:19 pm »

Toady is fleshing out how the computer run settlements respond to "douchery", and implementing computer simulated versions there of. ("Villains", their actions, motivators, and consequences in the world.)  This makes sense as a necessary milestone before diplomacy of the kind envisioned would even be sensible to implement (because how will the world respond to the player being a villain, if they dont have code for that?)

Currently, when you send a squad, they leave the fortress off the side of the map like they were a trade caravan, and are gone for so many days.  they return, and give you an update on what all happened, and if they were successful in their mission or not.  Trade liasons will also discus recent happenings in the world, which may include any consequences of your squad's actions.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 12:26:42 pm »

Toady is fleshing out how the computer run settlements respond to "douchery", and implementing computer simulated versions there of. ("Villains", their actions, motivators, and consequences in the world.)  This makes sense as a necessary milestone before diplomacy of the kind envisioned would even be sensible to implement (because how will the world respond to the player being a villain, if they dont have code for that?)

Currently, when you send a squad, they leave the fortress off the side of the map like they were a trade caravan, and are gone for so many days.  they return, and give you an update on what all happened, and if they were successful in their mission or not.  Trade liasons will also discus recent happenings in the world, which may include any consequences of your squad's actions.

Ah I see, so it is not completed yet, but we're getting close. :) Do we know something about Toady's dev plans? I mean what will he work on after the villain [& the steam] release?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 12:33:20 pm »

Myths and Magic is next after the steam release.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 12:37:29 pm »

Myths and Magic is next after the steam release.

Magic! Hell yeah!  8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4