Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Steam DF - Questions and discussion for tileset authors  (Read 65627 times)

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: Steam DF - Questions and discussion for tileset authors
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2020, 12:27:15 pm »

The good thing is that you only need one base succubus. The rest is done with the gear. ;)
Yeah, I was thinking about this while remaking the elf sprite for my pack, I really just need a few assets and every clothing item, weapon and armour, and then it is done.
I wasn't sold at first, but now I'm a believer!

I'm still unsure if I can use most of my older assets though, do I have to reposition them to fit with a single equipment positioning for all races, or can they be seperate for each race?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2020, 01:51:56 pm »

Good question. That's not yet done, but it should work like that. One set per civ.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2020, 03:52:54 am »

If anything, this is going to motivate me to add more items and clothing in the game.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2020, 06:36:42 pm »

If anything, this is going to motivate me to add more items and clothing in the game.
I'm already motivated in adding more viable dyes. The 4 or 5 dyes we have now won't be enough in a more visual system.

Ivenend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2020, 04:23:42 am »

For now they are to assemble more unique-looking civ members based on hair style, clothing, weapons and armor. We didn't count out missing limbs, but it's one of the optional features for later on to maybe work on. Obviously that's on Tarns end, not ours. But in theory it would be supported by the sprites we use. Closely related to bodyparts, because clothing goes to specific bodyparts. ;)

I have the file open in photoshop as I type this, so have a look:

We do have a set of equipped weapons and most clothing items, so right now my goal is to make a set per civ and give them a different style. Some character and visual help to keep civ-units apart.

Is it possible to make a weapon graphic bigger than 32x32?

(Not asking you to make, just curious about modding possibility.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2020, 07:49:57 am »

We haven't done any, but the modular bodyparts of nightcreatures are larger than 32x32, so it should be possible.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2020, 08:24:25 am »

For now they are to assemble more unique-looking civ members based on hair style, clothing, weapons and armor. We didn't count out missing limbs, but it's one of the optional features for later on to maybe work on. Obviously that's on Tarns end, not ours. But in theory it would be supported by the sprites we use. Closely related to bodyparts, because clothing goes to specific bodyparts. ;)

I have the file open in photoshop as I type this, so have a look:

We do have a set of equipped weapons and most clothing items, so right now my goal is to make a set per civ and give them a different style. Some character and visual help to keep civ-units apart.

Its a wonder to behold these graphics coming to life.

A thing: The kobolds looks way more serious without the snouty snout. It kinda looks like a fleshy beak - or a weird platypus.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:27:04 am by MoltenIdol »

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

4.   Would it be feasible to be able to adapt the appropriate beard, hair, nose, and eye colors and styles to my dwarfs matching their in game descriptions using a modular/layer tile set approach? I already made a prototype for the faces a while back, and it worked quite well so this wouldn’t be a problem from the art side of things.
Absolutely not, no, never. https://i.imgur.com/BXRVhLc.png & https://i.imgur.com/sb1jn7U.png (super WIP) It's a lot of combinations and colors and some of them don't quite work well together. I'm all for it, while Mike rather wants to stick with a smaller selection, which might not fit the description perfectly, but will end up looking far better.

Oh it would be such a shame not to use the ones you mocked up. Now that it is a possibility, showing as much detail "as possible" is great.
As long as the image doesn't become too "crowded". But honestly, distinguishing the looks, hairstyles, beards etc. is super important IMO. To really see the difference between different civilisations and cultures in different playthroughs. '
And yours look fine, as in, not too much. Again, IMO! ;)

6.   I made my sprites front facing because I didn’t like them facing the opposite direction they were moving in. Would it be possible to flip the sprite when changing directions? I understand flipping them would fudge lighting so how possible would it be to add directional tiles? It would be nice to have all four directions represented but just having east and west would be great.
Maybe, this falls under the same category as the animations. It's a stretch goal for sure.

This is also really important IMO.

7.   Is movement on a pixel scale something that has been discussed? Sprites teleporting from tile to tile looks odd. Animated movement support would be nice, but sliding the static sprites between tiles would still go a long way at improving this.
We haven't talked about it yet, but I agree. Smoother movement is something I will suggest to Tarn.

This one takes the prize for most important feature of the three above. (together with number one and two, dont ask me how that works)

You already heard all this, but as a human being with actual eyes, I just can't stress these things enough.
Big love.

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2020, 05:44:36 pm »

just quick question. will we be able to download and use the graphics for the non steam game or will we have to download the steam version to use them. and will they limited to the steam version if so or would we be able to copy it from the steam game folder?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2020, 07:14:49 pm »

just quick question. will we be able to download and use the graphics for the non steam game or will we have to download the steam version to use them. and will they limited to the steam version if so or would we be able to copy it from the steam game folder?
The Steam tileset is locked to Steam. You need to buy it to download it (and the game will download alongside it, delete it as you like). Once you've bought the tileset, the game is the same as the one free at Bay12Games so you can use the tileset as you like. So long as you don't share it for free with anyone. Obviously it won't work with an old version of Dwarf Fortress though, so there's really no difference. Steam DF is Bay12 DF. Same thing.

Any other tilesets made are mods and will be available anywhere as usual (unless their creator only uploads them to Steam Workshop and doesn't want to share them elsewhere).

Now, there's a third area of "uses assets from the Steam Tileset" that's theoretically locked to Steam too. But, well, will Kitfox come after you for releasing a complete overhaul tileset that uses a single cabinet from Steam set? Hard to say. Common sense will hopefully prevail.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:20:47 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2020, 08:14:40 am »

wait so stem ism selling a game that usually free? thats kinda weird ??? ???

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2020, 09:09:07 am »

edit: Just noticed this is probably slightly off-topic, as an answer, but given the question was asked... Further discussion about this should be elsewhere, I suppose?

The game currently is voluntary donation where you tend to get personalised thank you gifts from the creator(s) if you do.  The Steam (and Itch.io) version is basically a different opportunity to voluntarily donate with in game bonus material shared across all those who subscribe that way.

(That's the 'customer facing' description of the system. It's also got developer[1]-facing costs/benefits that are just as different to the up-'til-now sole distribution model, and then there's the middle-men that never existed before who add value by 'footfall' potential, doubtless repaid bynsome form or other of commission/cross-fertilisation of their respective portfolios. Steam seems to not have an "everything must profit us" mentality[2], but work more as a Venture Capitalist concentrating on advertising/distribution aspects of their 'investments'. I presume they like it if on balance they are part of more fly-off-the-shelves successes than outright flops and failures.)

Maybe think of it as a "Freemium" software, but without any of the usually implicit Pay-To-Win/Ads-To-Advance aspects?

[1] You can newly-include the artists in this category.

[2] I've never really liked my early encounters with Steam, in different contexts (perhaps before they changed to encompass a significant amount of this sort of more altruistic-looking scenario), but it certainly intrigues me enough to consider this as my future donation route, cutting through my age-old cynicism. We'll see.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:14:37 am by Starver »

waterphage13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2020, 01:28:59 pm »

Is there will be editors for sprites?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2020, 08:54:47 pm »

wait so stem ism selling a game that usually free? thats kinda weird ??? ???
Same model as Unreal World.
A game 26 years in development and ongoing, dwarfing dwarf fortress!

Is there will be editors for sprites?
Gimp, Paint, Photoshop? Same software people have always used. No point in Toady building a whole sprite editor when any other software will always do the job much better.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:57:09 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2020, 12:46:35 am »

I think it's even less restrictive than URW because Toady said the only new features in the Steam version are accessibility stuff like better graphics (as discussed here), music, and interface. No gameplay stuff. Unless his plans changed.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7