Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430367 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Hey guys!

Mike Mayday and Ironhand me are working on an official DF tileset; we'll be posting sprites and ideas here for you to critique. We are very open to suggestions and if something looks crappy, please let us know. :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:30:08 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Premium DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 01:29:55 pm »

I know you know this, but I'll put it here for the thread's record, as I imagine there's plenty of people who won't have seen it before they get here.

The ramps, especially the grassy ones, look bad. They seem to lead down instead of up, and aesthetically they're incredibly geometric, which other naturally occurring things in the tileset are not. This is a consensus as far as I'm aware; I've seen many people voice this opinion and nobody disagree, although I did see one person say he thought the stone ramps were fine. Personally, I think the lighting should be revisited on all of them, but the current stone ramps are good if their adjacent wall is smoothed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:33:03 pm by Cruxador »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 01:34:58 pm »

He is talking about the ramps in this mock-up. At the moment they use the same sprites as the grass, with a layer of shading on top.

The mentioned stone ramps are not ramps at all, they are an up-stairs next to a down-stairs.

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 01:45:51 pm »

Posting to watch

rethnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 02:12:13 pm »

It looks good, but my brain keeps switching between the ramps going up and the ramps going down.

Dragonsploof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 02:18:25 pm »

The grass ramps look like their leading to a ditch surrounding the hill to me.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 02:22:49 pm »

Here an older mock-up with shading. Does that help with brain switching?

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 02:28:37 pm »

Wow, the shading of the older mock-up looks awesome for the rooms, but I think the ramps still look weird. The ponds need also a little bit of shadows inside the banks, so they look more like ponds and less like puddles.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 02:29:16 pm »

The grass ramps look inverse, i wasn't sure whether i was actually looking down upon the fortress because the rock walls have minimal impact depth in comparison.

I SEE what you did, if i squint with my left eye and tilt my head 15% i can see that it is definitely intentional to what you were doing, but again perhaps some harder border lines would make it more apparent because its optical illusioning all over me line of the actual slope and direction in red and orange.

People are getting caught on the yellow lines here which creates the inverse effect i think for a image of a box and totally detracts from the actual rock wall to the side of it other than a backdrop.

To confuse it almost more, here's the box edges illustrated with blue lines, eventually im going to run out of space and colours to label things but if you align the blue and the yellow its a repeatable pattern that geometrically fits with people who are getting confused about it.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:34:26 pm by FantasticDorf »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 02:34:24 pm »

Ahh, I love those shadows on the walls and the knotwork and the... mmm. This tileset is growing on me.

As for the ramps... well, the shading helps me see what you're trying to do. I can see them as ramps, but I have to kind of squint to see it that way.

Honestly, I don't know how to fix this. Ramps are kind of... weird. They've always been a bit abstract, and I kinda think that's OK... maybe you could just superimpose the traditional triangle things over the more realistic grass tiles?

But that's probably my ASCII grognard talking... hm.

I'll think on it.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 02:37:03 pm »

Here an older mock-up with shading. Does that help with brain switching?
The rooms look MUCH better with shading. I think the ramps also look better, but the sunny, southern facing ramps should not have that shadow effect because that makes it look like the whole thing is floating in the sky.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 02:38:34 pm »

Wow, the shading of the older mock-up looks awesome for the rooms, but I think the ramps still look weird. The ponds need also a little bit of shadows inside the banks, so they look more like ponds and less like puddles.
We didn't want to include the shading on Steam, because it's wip. Not coded yet, it's just photoshop magic.

I haven't tried my hand on ramps yet, but to me the design shown was pretty clear. Maybe my brain is just too slow to flip between up/down-ramp all the time.

waterphage13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 02:46:17 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7C318DGB38
Thats why I'm mostly trying making lower parts of layer darker than upper.

waterphage13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 02:48:17 pm »

waterphage13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 02:50:42 pm »

And inner wall shadowing is too hardcore in my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 178