Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Steam DF - Questions and discussion for tileset authors  (Read 68062 times)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam DF - Questions and discussion for tileset authors
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2022, 06:37:03 pm »

graphics_creatures_layered.txt
Need full information about what kind of token is possible there at all?
Below I will give the lines I am interested in with comments and questions about them.

Spoiler: Colors of clothing (click to show/hide)

Where to ask such questions at all to get an official answer, and not the thoughts of other fellow modders?

This would be a good Future of the Fortress question.
Team Bug Fix!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2022, 06:46:11 pm »

Haha I don't know crap about graphics, everything I know is either from reading the existing ones or reverse engineering. I can tell you outright that NOT_X_MATERIAL isn't a thing. ANY_METAL_MATERIAL might just be IS_METAL. It's also possible you might just be able to use any of these, plus the new ones, which are CARTILAGE FEATHER SCALE HAIR NERVOUS_TISSUE HOOF CHITIN ANTLER

I would assume that anywhere BY_CATEGORY works, BY_TYPE and BY_TOKEN work too, honestly.

The color thing I just don't know. I seem to recall discussion suggesting it's not a thing quite yet.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2022, 03:00:28 pm »

Why is there a "PAGE_DIM_PIXELS" when there's already a "PAGE_DIM"? Does it matter which we use? Also, why isn't the game able to figure out the dimensions of an image by itself? These are kind of tedious and even the vanilla graphics pack is getting the wrong values down in some of them.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2022, 01:57:00 am »

Is there a guideline for the minimum required things to include to make a stand-alone graphics pack in the new format? We don't need to define graphics for everything that the vanilla pack does, do we?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2022, 03:04:51 pm »

I've been trying to see if it's possible to run the game with a 16x16 tileset (by scaling a lot of the vanilla graphics to 50% and changing the dimensions of the associated text files). I'm starting to believe rumors that 32x32 is hardcoded.

I'm guessing the sand looks like that for the tiled pattern feature. I think the other parts of its tilesheet would normally be covered by surrounding tiles. And the sand issue would fix itself if the game could switch to the appropriate tile resolution.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2022, 02:09:55 am »

Is there a way to change the alignment and scale of tiles? By default, if I try to include a 16x16 creature in a 32x32 tileset, it will align the creature to the top-left of the tile. I would like to have an option to center it and an option to scale the tile to fit.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2022, 02:31:05 am »

How do I specify if I want to have a tile recolored to match its dwarf labor / material or if I want to use the tile's colors as-is?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2022, 04:31:35 pm »

Is there a way to change a dwarf's graphic based on profession?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2022, 04:35:32 pm »

I don't have an example handy but I'm almost sure the answer to the last question is yes.  If you look in the creature graphics files you'll see that clothing layers are sometimes conditionally set by the profession, and since it uses the same system for choosing the base creature graphics I assume you could use the same tokens to swap out any part of the appearance based on profession.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2022, 04:53:12 pm »

Thank you! It looks like with the vanilla tileset, undyed cloaks will match the color of the wearer's profession.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2022, 05:40:23 pm »

I can't tell if the name of the layers matter. The thing that controls the layers is their position in the text files. The first thing will be on the bottom layer and the last thing will be on the top layer. You can't make graphics for specific professions, just the profession categories. (Eg. "STONEWORKER" works but not "CARPENTER".) I tried shortening the [CONDITION_PROFESSION_CATEGORY] to just [CONDITION_PROFESSION] to try to target something more specific, but it made it target everyone instead.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2023, 01:43:39 am »

Does dead/dry grass still exist in the new graphics format?

Also, what does "CUSTOM_RAMP" control?

waterphage13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2023, 03:13:00 am »

Are resolution bug fixed?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]