Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430499 times)

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
Re: Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2019, 02:43:31 pm »

I don't suppose a unified three-quarter view is on the table, rather than the mix of three-quarter objects and top-down structure?  :-\

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2019, 02:52:13 pm »

If we had an isometric view like in Stonesense, yes. But not with the chess-board like grid DF uses now. Especially when it comes to objects that have an orientation, like windows, doors and the like. It would multiply the amount of sprites, because we'd have to do them 4 times (north, east, south, west). I think it might also cause issues with multilevel view.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2019, 03:09:21 pm »

Ah, I wasn't meaning full isometric, but just that the "southern" face of the walls be perceptible, rather than entirely parallel with the player's view.

A quick, 1-minute mockup:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:17:15 pm by Alehkhs »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2019, 03:17:53 pm »

Don't murder me for this, but here is a 20min mock-up of a different tree design that respects the position when changing z-levels, keeping the same top-down perspective as other terrain features like walls/floors.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:22:14 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2019, 03:25:02 pm »

Ah, I wasn't meaning full isometric, but just that the "southern" face of the walls be perceptible, rather than entirely parallel with the player's view.

A quick, 1-minute mockup:

I know what you mean, but it opens Pandoras box. Lets say engravings: Dwarves logically engrave the side of the wall, not the top. So we'd add engravings to East-West facings walls on that large, visible area you added. But what about engraved walls that go North-South? Those you only see from the top, without any nice surface area. We can't add engravings there.

I'm very familiar with those issues because oh-so-smart-me decided to use exactly that style of wall in my own tileset. :D

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2019, 03:40:32 pm »

That's true, engravings become a bit more abstracted in their presentation with that manner of wall - of course, engraved walls (as with most everything else in the game) are already rather abstracted in the game.

Is there an example of an engraved wall in any of the currently shown mockups for the Steam tileset?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2019, 04:01:18 pm »

Sure. The general idea is something along these lines:

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2019, 04:22:52 pm »

Hmm. I'm not sure why that couldn't remain in place for all faces of an engraved wall minus the southern, where it would be "extended" upward to create a three-quarters angle.  :-[

I guess I'll wait to see how it all comes together - I'm especially curious to see where things might go with relation to multiple z-levels.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2019, 04:29:29 pm »

@Meph - I'm working on something very similar right now :P

@Alehkhs - I initially proposed something like that... only even more advanced (slightly). The final decision was that we should start with a normal top-down view and then see if we can make a PROPER 3/4 view later on. I very much want to do it, at least.
<3

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2019, 04:40:20 pm »

Yeah, just having a single, unified tileset with all the new graphical support will be great! Hell, if nothing else, I'm sure people will be putting out personal tweaks to it via Steam Workshop or otherwise.

Really happy that there's already been some decent transparency regarding the whole Steam DF project. Excited to watch it as it comes together!

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2019, 05:11:51 pm »

I have the same opinion as Alehkhs. The clash between true topdown environment and oblique objects is a bit too harsh.

Maybe adding the shadows will improve it, but this looks way too much like holes in the ground you could jump over:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2019, 05:32:05 pm »

I'd like your opinion on something else: Animal men.

There are about 200 of them in the game and they are rarely seen, so some kind of automated process to create them would be nice. I made a little test with 1 basic body, copying over the skin/hair texture and the head from an animal. The results look like this:

Obviously they could look nicer, but this solution has one major advantage: Positions of bodyparts, hands/feet especially are always the same, which means they can show the equipped items (swords, shields, armor) just like regular civ members.

So, what do you think about the look?

Even while naked the sprite would show clothing, as a visual reminder that those are intelligent animal men, not animals.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2019, 05:38:13 pm »

ooh! I like those.

It's not terribly important, but a possible solution to the "never nude" situation would be to make their intelligent nature evident through posture. I like the hand-on-hip posture, but what if the other hand was up in a hailing position when unclothed? Similar to the Voyager plaque:

But then what if they're holding a weapon.. hm. Well, I suppose that would still be an indication that they were more than your standard animal!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:42:29 pm by Alehkhs »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2019, 06:05:25 pm »

ptw

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2019, 06:15:23 pm »

Posture gets weird once you have legless animal people like snail-men or fish-people, or things with multiple limbs like ant-men/mantis-men. And some animals already look human-like, anything bipedal like kangaroos or monkeys/apes. The clothing really helps to set them apart.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 178