Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 436210 times)

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1320 on: March 30, 2020, 02:56:54 pm »

4. Yes to varied tiles, but have an option to turn it off somewhere like varied grass tiles. My opinion.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1321 on: March 30, 2020, 03:07:07 pm »

That sounds interesting. Could have a metalsmith workshop without an anvil. I'd be curious to see the tech tree for this system
That's regular far-future dev log stuff, not related to the graphical release.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1322 on: March 30, 2020, 03:15:22 pm »

Ah yes, maybe that wasn't clear. It's not something for this release.
<3

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: March 30, 2020, 03:42:14 pm »

4. Yes to varied tiles, but have an option to turn it off somewhere like varied grass tiles. My opinion.
Another possibility would be to let people cycle through variants each time they place a bed or a cabinet. So you do B - B, then you select the material or whatever, and then you select the visual variant. You could say it might get tedious, but if it always remembered your last choice, it would mostly end up just being one more Enter press.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: March 30, 2020, 04:25:40 pm »

On further reflection, please do make separate sprites for different material types. I've just embarked on chert and I hate it.

Re: forge - I'm still heavily in opposition to Patrick's idea for it. To me it doesn't make sense visually or from a gameplay point of view.
My forge looks like this (just with the furnace made thicker):
Yeah, this is way better.

Re: view - I was specifically proposing a 3/4 top-down view, but Tarn decided to go for 100% top-down for the initial release.
However, the only thing the game needs to support 3/4 top-down is giving an offset to the layers in multilevel view. So that's not totally off the plate (my personal opinion).
It would be cool if there was something powerful like a customizable offset on both axes so people could make pseudo-isometric and other cool stuff.

Re: workshop borders - the stone path makes sense above ground, not so much underground. It's purely a visual cue for new players that this is something special, not a bunch of constructed furniture. Since workshops as they are now are ultimately going to be replaced with a system much like the hospital one, I believe this is a good interim solution.
I mean, is that happening before the Steam release? If the interim solution is the one that's going to be at official launch, it shouldn't be treated as a placeholder. Therefore it's probably preferable by default to use a visual indicator which is less wrong and misleading, at least by default.

The problem here is that the diagonal floor tiles were used to reinforce that cue (to make the workshops stand out from other rooms). If we get rid of them and just leave normal grass underneath, the borders don't match the rest anymore.
They don't really have to. The borders only represent a cordon indicating the workshop area. Coloring them according to material might be good but I don't think it's strictly necessary.

I don't have a problem with the size of the cat. It between the size of a bunny and a horse.
It's also bigger than the duck, chicken, turkey, and even goose.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: March 30, 2020, 05:28:55 pm »

About the house cat:  Do you have any preliminary sprites for female lions?  As long as those 2 aren't easily confused, I see no issue with the size.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: March 30, 2020, 05:38:17 pm »

I suppose I'd prefer the workshops be confined to their space like in Mayday's design, and I'm pro simple borders around workshops.

I still prefer the simple border idea for stockpiles, I think that having multiple small stockpiles bunched up will be come a big mess with the ropes and signs.  I tend to do things like a stacked row of workshops with a couple spaces of stockpile next to them that all touch but are different. I'm sure how clear this is but I'll try..

T = Tannery
s = skin stockpile
L = Leatherworks
x = leather stockpile
C = Craftshop
b = bones & etc stockpile

Code: [Select]
TTTLLLCCC
TTTLLLCCC
TTTLLLCCC
sssxxxbbb
sssxxxbbb

Maybe it's ugly design but it gets the job done and works pretty well currently IMO. But small abutting stockpiles like that doesn't seem like they will work well visually with the ropes and signs. But a border would be clear to me and not get all visually cluttered (which seems to be a major concern for Mayday).

PS - the cat looks good, we know things aren't to scale I don't know why that one specifically is a problem.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1327 on: March 30, 2020, 05:46:29 pm »

We have to look at everything ingame, see how it holds up in a fortress. For now it's basic checkerboard stockpiles. I'm fine with both simple borders or tiny strings. But color-coding or signs would be a great help to newer players.

Btw, ever done stockpile+workshop setups like this? They work great!

Code: [Select]
SSSSS
SwwwS
SwwwS
SwwwS
SSSSS
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: March 30, 2020, 07:34:49 pm »

Pursuant to our conversation earlier Mike, I've come up with 68 possible ramp tiles, not including flat tiles with shading, like those you've done around the base of ramps. I'm probably still missing some.

I don't know your whole set. You have your ramp 4, but what about columns/rows of unsupported constructed ramps. Corners? Intersections with supported ramp walls, etc.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: March 30, 2020, 07:49:41 pm »

Wow this thread blew up lately with lots of good feedback.

I prefer transparent floors for workshops. I think the primary question should be whether or not it will trigger OCD players? Allowing customization of the visual by the player should always be the goal.

Not sure if this was asked yet, but why can’t stockpiles be toggled to only be observable when accessing them in the menu? I personally dislike the fact you can’t toggle them off as they are distracting.

More options are always good even if it’s not necessary for the steam release. Modder’s are going to keep this game relevant over the long dev cycles, so catering to that in any way possible is the intelligent move here for Toady.

So many posts about the cat are border line derailing the more important feedback discussions here. 

If Mike hasn’t already done so here is a fix for it. Feel free to use it if you want Mike.

@Rekov: That is amazing .
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:18:48 pm by Oab »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1330 on: March 30, 2020, 08:06:52 pm »

Mike has been doing the ramp shading, but 68 sounds about right. 56 + 12 for the standalone ramps that look like mounds.

Not sure if this was asked yet, but why can’t stockpiles be toggled to only be observable when accessing them in the menu? I personally dislike the fact you can’t toggle them off as they are distracting.
Ha, I'm so used to that dfhack option (dfhack can hide them), that I didn't consider that we could do an extra setting for that.

Modder’s are going to keep this game relevant over the long dev cycles, so catering to that in any way possible is the intelligent move here for Toady.
Don't worry, I'll be doing my best to get as much mod-support as possible.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: March 30, 2020, 08:15:00 pm »

LOL, play a fort without DFHack and there will be all sorts of functions you'll want added to vanilla!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1332 on: March 30, 2020, 08:17:07 pm »

I'm well aware. It's jarring every time. "Let's alt+tab and quickly... oh. There is no dfhack window."

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: March 30, 2020, 08:52:22 pm »

Imo, workshops should be with floor, or options for transparency. Because really, unless in emergency, why would you want a building without a floor?

Technically, the workshop is not a bulding, but more like a Collection of tools in a designated  workspace. If you want floor, underneath your workspace, just build that first, as you would IRL

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: March 30, 2020, 09:13:01 pm »

Quote from: Meph
Ha, I'm so used to that dfhack option (dfhack can hide them), that I didn't consider that we could do an extra setting for that.

Toggles for select stuff like that (things where extra fluff is mainly useful for new players) sounds like a great idea if not too big a hazzle.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:45:27 am by Manveru Taurënér »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 178