Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 436085 times)

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1335 on: March 30, 2020, 09:26:04 pm »

Re: view - I was specifically proposing a 3/4 top-down view, but Tarn decided to go for 100% top-down for the initial release.
However, the only thing the game needs to support 3/4 top-down is giving an offset to the layers in multilevel view. So that's not totally off the plate (my personal opinion).
It would be cool if there was something powerful like a customizable offset on both axes so people could make pseudo-isometric and other cool stuff.

Just like in Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.  I always play it like that, it looks brillant in a simple way, adds (litterally) so Much depth to the image, by giving walls a sense of height. It just makes the worls come alive visually, and immerses me so much more. To me, that would be AMAZING for DF. I would absolutely love this. It would fit the aesthetic, if it could be made easily readable, with no walls overlapping tiles you should be able to see, and all that jazz.

Also, im in love with stonesense. Like, completely. Please
take as many of the qualities it has, and bring it to vanilla DF.

Since workshops as they are now are ultimately going to be replaced with a system much like the hospital one, I believe this is a good interim solution.
I have waited for this. Does this mean that we'll soon  have to make appropriate tools for the individual workshops? Cant wait! Oh lord the immersion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 30, 2020, 09:53:56 pm »

Won't be "soon". Mythgen release at the earliest (due to confusing map issues).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1337 on: March 30, 2020, 11:19:06 pm »

Just like in Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.  I always play it like that, it looks brillant in a simple way, adds (litterally) so Much depth to the image, by giving walls a sense of height. It just makes the worls come alive visually, and immerses me so much more. To me, that would be AMAZING for DF. I would absolutely love this. It would fit the aesthetic, if it could be made easily readable, with no walls overlapping tiles you should be able to see, and all that jazz.

Sure, we'll just redo everything. No biggie. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 30, 2020, 11:56:05 pm »

Sure, we'll just redo everything. No biggie. :P
Is it something that a regular tileset maker would be able to do if they wanted (once the update is done)? Or something CDDA does that's just fundamentally different?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1339 on: March 31, 2020, 12:05:36 am »

Isometric isn't supported by the update we are making. I'm not familiar with CDDA, but I don't think it has multiple Z-levels (?)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 31, 2020, 12:37:59 am »

Isometric isn't supported by the update we are making. I'm not familiar with CDDA, but I don't think it has multiple Z-levels (?)

Mechanically yes. Graphically no.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1341 on: March 31, 2020, 04:19:19 am »

Isometric (or cavalier) are somewhat removed from what we can do.
3/4 top-down SHOULD be doable (it's just one step) but it's still a huge paradigm shift in the way tiles are drawn, so we might not end up getting that).
<3

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 31, 2020, 05:58:35 am »

The stockpile sign for leather had me stumped... maybe make the hide's legs a bit longer.

They could probably be extended a bit diagonally and still fit on the sign.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:01:55 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 31, 2020, 09:56:18 am »

I feel like top down is fine for base game, as long as later updates give mods the option to make a 3/4 or isometric tileset.

Then we re-use all the stonesense sprites.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 31, 2020, 10:35:16 am »

Re: view - I was specifically proposing a 3/4 top-down view, but Tarn decided to go for 100% top-down for the initial release.
However, the only thing the game needs to support 3/4 top-down is giving an offset to the layers in multilevel view. So that's not totally off the plate (my personal opinion).
It would be cool if there was something powerful like a customizable offset on both axes so people could make pseudo-isometric and other cool stuff.

Since workshops as they are now are ultimately going to be replaced with a system much like the hospital one, I believe this is a good interim solution.
I have waited for this. Does this mean that we'll soon  have to make appropriate tools for the individual workshops? Cant wait! Oh lord the immersion!
This is potential future stuff, neither of these features are currently slated for the next update, and even that will only be "soon" under quite a generous definition. Considering the amount of other stuff that's of higher immediacy and the general pace of Toady's work, it can still be considered quicker than expected if either of those things happens in this new decade.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:37:41 am by Cruxador »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 31, 2020, 01:06:48 pm »

I played around with some more stuff. It's technical and boring, and has lots of images, so I'm putting it in spoilers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 01:12:37 pm by Rekov »

Erendir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 31, 2020, 01:16:21 pm »

please transparent workshop floor.

Because otherwise there is no need to smooth floors prior to construction!

Also, what happens after you deconstruct a workshop placed on grass? The sudden transformation of stone floor to grass may be confusing (assuming this is how it works, I actually don't recall).

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 31, 2020, 01:27:18 pm »

I think it might be best if the artists didn't manually create each and every ramp tile, but instead there were some script baked into the build system that automatically pre-generates those tiles, before the game is even run. Then you save some tedium for the artists without creating any performance hit in the graphics processing while the game is running.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 31, 2020, 01:55:10 pm »

I think it might be best if the artists didn't manually create each and every ramp tile, but instead there were some script baked into the build system that automatically pre-generates those tiles, before the game is even run. Then you save some tedium for the artists without creating any performance hit in the graphics processing while the game is running.

There's very little reason to do this. By all means use whatever procedural/programmatic help when creating art. But if you only need to do something once, there's no reason to make the game do it every time you load. Why have the game generate these tiles every time, when you can generate them once, then have the artists fine tune them as desired, and you end up with a better result and less work for the game to do every time it loads?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1349 on: March 31, 2020, 02:10:23 pm »

Depends on the floor sprites. Each floor material would need a pre-made set of ramps. There are 40 grasses and 231 inorganics, plus some river/brook/magma/ice/(a few) mushroom-cap ramps. Let's make it 300 possible floor materials. Now those can mostly be rough, smoothed or engraved. Makes around 900.

All of which might have a track-tile on top, of any of the track directions, of which there are 14. Those need the correct shading of course.

Rekovs set has 72 ramps.

So you have 900*14*72 sprites. Just a meager 907.200 sprites.

Obviously I'm exaggerating a tiny bit, but yeah, automated shading by adding a brightness layer is the nicer solution in the end. Especially for modders/tileset authors adding their own content.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 178