Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 434759 times)

CL3AR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1440 on: April 09, 2020, 03:28:04 pm »

The wall spite isn't displaying the sides when there's a door. It looks like the wall just cuts off.

I would prefer that, actually.
I prefer if the walls were to act the same as in the door on the right, the planned door. In the door on the left, the wall spite just looks like it stops suddenly instead of closing. In fact, some of the rocks in the walls are cut right in half.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:30:38 pm by CL3AR »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: April 09, 2020, 04:37:04 pm »

Prefer the way it works on the right as well :>

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: April 09, 2020, 04:51:53 pm »

Is there a separate thread for menu UX redesign or can one start rambling in here  :D ?
Already answered by Manveru Taurënér, but this thread is specifically about the graphics, with Meph and Mike Mayday being the lieutenants in charge of the thread under the villainous boss of Toady the One. Unless the artists are recruited to create icons, they won't have any involvement with the UI work.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: April 09, 2020, 04:58:19 pm »

I think the left looks better, but the right might be closer to how rough walls usually look. The door on the left is interacting with the walls as if they were smooth walls.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: April 09, 2020, 06:00:58 pm »

I'm fairly sure (without checking) that's somdwhat like the long-standing pre-Steam behaviour, if that's worked wall in some way rather than completely raw stone. Set up a wall length then space (then another wall length, or whatever) and the ═ walls terminate in an O pillar. A built door (or floodgate, bars?) makes that a ═ as it's no longer an end. There's no 'sanserif'ed ╡type part-wall ending, so a pillar-end works for termination of all single (or zero) wall lead-ins to the tile.

If non-vanilla graphics can provide a wall-end graphic for all four cases (plus isolated column) that's the obvious thing to use in the same circumstance. Without adding further configurstion to ignore this helpfulness, I think that's how mods or protoSteam will probably look. Maybe partition to have that config?

(Though I thought a proposed-built door acted as a door-in-place in decolumnising the wall-end, whether straight double-line or ╚ if led into from an angle, but I might be wrong. Or graphics packs have already half-tapped into the exception you're looking for.)

I must check when I get on DF next, though.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 06:03:47 pm by Starver »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: April 09, 2020, 07:28:24 pm »

I love this. I keep thinking about suggesting this while playing and never remember by the time I'm on the forums.  This would go great with a build in Planning Mode. 🤞

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: April 09, 2020, 08:54:03 pm »

I'm not the judge of that. ^^

What would you guys think about unique corpse and remains sprites? Now that vermin all get a unique sprite, it's a bit odd to have a single sprite for all remains.

I would consider this a stretch goal at best. Worth doing if there was no opportunity cost, but there are so many things that are more worth doing.

((Not sure I've ever seen such rollers in use in a playground situation. The versions in my mind's eye look too much like an H&S nightmare if intended to be used by children.))
The ones in playgrounds aren't powered. They might be considered unsafe these days for all I know, I haven't seen them recently a lot of stuff that was in playgrounds when I was a kid is now considered dangerous by enough people to not be around much any more.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: April 09, 2020, 11:31:34 pm »

((Not sure I've ever seen such rollers in use in a playground situation. The versions in my mind's eye look too much like an H&S nightmare if intended to be used by children.))
The ones in playgrounds aren't powered. They might be considered unsafe these days for all I know, I haven't seen them recently a lot of stuff that was in playgrounds when I was a kid is now considered dangerous by enough people to not be around much any more.
I suppose like the "Witch's Hat" thing[1] was supposedly banned, even tbough I've seen more modern versions[2] recently. But when I was young the height of playground fashion, if you wanted a place with more than swings and maybe a roundabout, was an old unwanted (post usabilty, pre-restoration era) steam roller or traction engine[3] left to rust in situ.

But since I wrote the above quoted text, I now recall perhaps seeing playground rollers on the continent (maybe Denmark, close to 40 years ago), but then Europe was always more sophisticated that way. I have half a memory that it was just wide enough to send buckets of sand around, in a kind of 'chute' housing, not enough room for kids to ride or even practical to try to get one's foot trapped in.

To make the intended on-topic point about rollers: here's a largish image (that I therefore won't embed) of a curved-path friction roller unit. Imagine that placed in a slightly elevated position between the rails (and straight, if the rail section is actually straight) pushing or pulling on the underside of any cart that rolls over it.

'Nough said for now about that, I suppose. Carry on!

Spoiler: Off-topic Feetnete (click to show/hide)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: April 10, 2020, 01:10:20 am »

The basic issue with powered rollers is that nothing resembling them exist in the technological era DF generally follows, so we're left with imagining them from the information the game itself gives us, that they're 1-10 tiles long and made from 1-4 mechanisms and a rope, and can climb ramps. If ever there was a case to be made for ignoring the community and asking the Brothers Adams for a sketch of what they intend, this is probably it.

Continuing with the thread derail, though, Project Gutenberg has a decent English translation of Agricola's mid-16th century classic, De re metallica, which would be the standard mining treatise for the next 150+ years, for those interested. LINK

There's no mention of mechanically powering the minecarts, which were pushed by hand or pulled by animals, but there are some great pics of mine carts and pumps!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Team Bug Fix!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: April 10, 2020, 01:33:17 am »

I would love to see a sketch of Rollers.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: April 10, 2020, 01:36:34 am »

The basic issue with powered rollers is that nothing resembling them exist in the technological era DF generally follows, so we're left with imagining them from the information the game itself gives us, that they're 1-10 tiles long and made from 1-4 mechanisms and a rope, and can climb ramps. If ever there was a case to be made for ignoring the community and asking the Brothers Adams for a sketch of what they intend, this is probably it.

Continuing with the thread derail, though, Project Gutenberg has a decent English translation of Agricola's mid-16th century classic, De re metallica, which would be the standard mining treatise for the next 150+ years, for those interested. LINK

There's no mention of mechanically powering the minecarts, which were pushed by hand or pulled by animals, but there are some great pics of mine carts and pumps!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You'll find there's no equivalent for our wifi "mechanisms" either which somehow connect levers to drawbridges from 50 z-levels down. Rollers exist on conveyor belts, that's presumably what they're meant to be regardless of Earth history (if Dwarves actually existed they might have invented them early is always the best explanation for such weird anomalies).

Fortunately the artists are working with Toady so can ask him stuff like this just to be sure though.  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 01:38:11 am by Shonai_Dweller »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: April 10, 2020, 02:15:41 am »

Was watching a video on rollers, and learned that in addition to speeding up minecarts to the proper speed, they will also slow them down to the proper speed. I'm having trouble imagining something that would do that.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: April 10, 2020, 02:45:40 am »

Is there a separate thread for menu UX redesign or can one start rambling in here  :D ?

Ages ago I created this thread for that. Feel free to necro it... or create your own.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Erendir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: April 10, 2020, 03:20:46 am »

random idea: can we have undiscovered stone filler (whatever it may end being) vary very slightly based on z-level? Like the undiscovered area being slightly more grey-ish at z=0 and slightly more black-ish at z=-100?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: April 10, 2020, 03:36:20 am »

Ages ago I created this thread for that. Feel free to necro it... or create your own.
I think the question was about discussion of the official UI update (which doesn't have a thread yet - probably because it hasn't started). No point starting one of those yourself unless you've been hired by Kitfox to improve the UI.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 178