Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430491 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1920 on: July 24, 2020, 03:28:12 am »

Either way, If the GCS's paralyzing venom doesn't actually kill you, i guess its more a way incapacitating the prey before killing/eating it.

Well, you can suffocate from repeated applications of it, but perhaps you're more likely to get killed violently now that GCS can pull helmets off.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:31:03 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SuperPluck

• Bay Watcher
  • Quack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: July 24, 2020, 04:15:52 am »

In vanilla DF even grass looks different. Cave plants must be done properly.

What do you mean by "properly"? Is there a suggestion in there somewhere?

How would you feel if someone told you "you're next posts should follow some rules" and don't tell you what the rules are you are expected to follow?

evthestrike

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire Clay Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: July 24, 2020, 08:10:53 am »

I think there might be a language barrier happening here. Am I right about that?

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: July 24, 2020, 11:15:24 am »

I think there might be a language barrier happening here. Am I right about that?
Yes. Sorry my bad English.

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 24, 2020, 02:27:17 pm »

Although "must" isn't factually accurate, all the grasses and plants should be done properly, having their own sprite or tile. The graphical version should be a better representation of what's present in the game that the ASCII, at a bare minimum. If it can be argued that it's a step down on any grounds other than an inherent preference for ASCII, then that undermines the whole project (both in an idealistic sense with regards to quality, but also in that it can be picked up as a flaw by detractors and exaggerated greatly, which has a big potential to impede the project's official goal of making Bay12 some money).

Certainly, less than one sprite per raw would be too few. It's arguable to what extent growth states or seasonal variations need to be included; I remain of the opinion that any amount of variation present in the base game should also be present in this for the key reason that I briefly mentioned above, and because the initial marketing on release can have a long-reaching impact. See for example No Man's Sky, which now in 2020 fulfills its original promises and then some, but which will never be the colossal phenomenon it could have been if it hadn't disappointed so many people at launch. However, it seems Toady wants to start with a reasonable minimum, and that makes sense considering the literally limitless potential for enhancement, but nonetheless I think the bare minimum for release should be pegged at "more than the base game" in every aspect.

Also, plants are important.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:44:44 pm by Cruxador »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: July 24, 2020, 06:59:59 pm »

Sorry, did Toady state somewhere that he's not having different sprites for individual plants? What exactly is this theoretical argument about?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: July 24, 2020, 10:18:12 pm »

Sorry, did Toady state somewhere that he's not having different sprites for individual plants? What exactly is this theoretical argument about?
I don't believe so. But you know, not every discussion is an argument.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: July 24, 2020, 10:34:39 pm »

I would wager that just as a language barrier can cause misunderstandings of intention, different writing styles can be easily misread in a similar way.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1929 on: August 13, 2020, 02:28:07 pm »

Well then! Now that the UI has been shown on Steam, I'm interested in your feedback:
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/images/clans/34693670/13f662e9694091cf4b49053b2bc2b52b39d88f2a.png

Two things shared already that I agree with is:
-the scrollbars look too "windows 95"
-the colours are not quite right (or they're "mad ugly" as one commenter put it).

Not sure what to change on both accounts.
<3

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: August 13, 2020, 02:36:17 pm »

Well then! Now that the UI has been shown on Steam, I'm interested in your feedback:
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/images/clans/34693670/13f662e9694091cf4b49053b2bc2b52b39d88f2a.png

Two things shared already that I agree with is:
-the scrollbars look too "windows 95"
-the colours are not quite right (or they're "mad ugly" as one commenter put it).

Not sure what to change on both accounts.

Great progress! More excited to play this than ever!

The font is not really mixing with the style, but I suppose you just haven't gotten to it yet.
Embark button should be highlighted somehow IMO to indicate it's importance. Would also help non-natives who may not know what the word means.
Points left text is quite hard to spot and is in the list area - I think it should be outside of tabs - after all its value is transient to tabs.
The symbols indicating animal sex are hard to read. Male/female in some slightly different font/colour would do better IMO.
I can't tell where is the mouse cursor, if it's even in the picture( see my proposition about hover with the cursor in the post below).
The margin on top/bottom is different from margin on the left/right, it's annoying for the eye...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 02:57:59 pm by ror6ax »
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: August 13, 2020, 02:44:08 pm »

Spoiler: Window (click to show/hide)
Maybe this window must be little bigger, like 36-40 px.
Some big items and creatures may not look very well in 32x32 borders.

The font strongly contrasts with the background, need something like a shadow borders around words.

And not "your items", but "your Majesty's items".)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 02:52:02 pm by Vordak »

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: August 13, 2020, 02:54:22 pm »

Also, I have idea of such a hover menu for this and other places where you have items listed.
It's horrible because GIMP tool sucks and I've taken only random 20% of what the wiki says on rock nuts but you got the gist of it, I'm sure...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like the colours, by the way - although I suspect you may want to check it for colourblindess accessibility.
P.S How the hell do I attach images on this forum engine?? [edit] figured it out!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:32:17 pm by ror6ax »

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: August 13, 2020, 02:57:09 pm »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: August 13, 2020, 03:19:39 pm »

I just spent a while on a "We need your help to save the Noobs" thread post, making a lot of variously plausible/implausible suggestions about that set of screens.

None of it was really your territory (@Mike), I think, so probably not worth you worrying from a graphics POV.

Although one thing I mentioned was sorting/filtering(non-textual) options for lists, so if that gets accepted you may need to design some icons representing Alphabetic/Value/Category/Breed sorting, and maybe even an "Affordable Costs" icon with active/inactive states to it. Unless they put them in as textual.

Depends on if anyone (who matters) thinks these are good ideas, so may never be an issue, but giving you a heads-up anyway. ;)

ror6ax: Not set up to upload images, to here, if that's what you mean. [img][/img] tags, otherwise. Nice demo picture, BTW.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 178