Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 434242 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2145 on: September 19, 2020, 09:39:41 pm »

Do weapons show up when equipped? Having the stars floating near the unit might be confusing.
Yes that's the plan. And yeah, would be really confusing. And it would be a big restriction on all the weapon tiles to have to leave a space to add in a star later if it's just for inventory screens. Modders would hate it I expect, because who cares about stars? Quality is in the weapon description.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: September 19, 2020, 10:58:42 pm »

I get your points. Thanks for considering my idea anyway.

Although, I will mention I used a four-pointed star specifically instead of a five-pointed one to make it look like a "bling" or reflection off an item. That way it fits in cohesively with the item, and a bigger "bling" intuitively associates with better quality. Also why I chose bling size and not multiple stars.

I think that a bling if small enough won't really be that confusing or jarring on a unit or in a stockpile. I guess the bling should be over the item, though slightly to the side to not cover anything meaningful and diminish noise.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 11:02:21 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

[HYBRID BEING]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 20, 2020, 09:00:01 pm »

Would equipped items show as much details as unequipped? How would a fully armed dwarf look?

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: September 21, 2020, 01:55:06 am »

Would equipped items show as much details as unequipped? How would a fully armed dwarf look?

I suppose it's being developed - a few updates ago there was one placeholder dwarf with (as far as I remember) no equipped items.
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 21, 2020, 02:13:35 pm »

Do weapons show up when equipped? Having the stars floating near the unit might be confusing.
Yes that's the plan. And yeah, would be really confusing. And it would be a big restriction on all the weapon tiles to have to leave a space to add in a star later if it's just for inventory screens. Modders would hate it I expect, because who cares about stars? Quality is in the weapon description.
My understanding is that to the extent where that will happen, these aren't those images. If you compare their size to the size of a tile, these are suitable to appear on the ground in stockpiles and similar, but they're too large to be wielded by a dwarf which also fits in the tile.

Toady mentioned in the PAX stream that they're still talking about how much will be represented on the characters. I would hope that at least, the different types of weapons each have a held sprite which inherits colors from material. The quality and other little details would be incredibly difficult, to the extent of being impossible for all practical measures, to render at that size.

Dishmab

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: September 21, 2020, 07:40:19 pm »

showing the dwarves with the proper weapon type and weapon material would be enough for me. i really want to see the dwarves skin color and hair color displayed. I dont know if its been discussed yet, but i would also like to see differentiation between male and female dwarfs.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 07:44:08 pm by Dishmab »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2151 on: September 21, 2020, 09:28:27 pm »

Most of that we will do. There is a bit of a worry that the actual RAW defined hair and skin colors clash a bit and make the sprite unreadable, right now we have a more limited selection that simply looks better. But clothing, armor, weapons, etc, is done.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: September 22, 2020, 12:06:51 pm »

Saw the steam update video. Categorically, it looks great. Main thing I notived that we hadn't seen before, I feel like the translucent background to the "being mined out" overlay tile is too light, in part perhaps because the underlaying tiles are also grey. I reckon it'd look better if the opacity on that was even lower, perhaps as low as half its current value. Part of it, I think, is that the creamy off-black representing undiscovered areas is just too light on the screens I checked it on.

Other than that, the homogeneity of the grassy plain didn't look great. It may not be a gameplay priority, but I think that getting in the raw-accurate grasses shown here before is going to be very important for the aesthetic appeal of the game. The bushes/saplings too, and the boulders would look better with like 3-5 random variations even though that doesn't reflect anything in the raws. I don't know how much of that is already planned/made but just not in yet.

Overall, there are some elements of the new UI I'm unsure of, but the graphical elements of it certainly aren't among them.

Most of that we will do. There is a bit of a worry that the actual RAW defined hair and skin colors clash a bit and make the sprite unreadable, right now we have a more limited selection that simply looks better. But clothing, armor, weapons, etc, is done.
Good to hear. I hope the hair can be figured out for full accuracy but if not, that's a place where a compromise has low consequences.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: September 22, 2020, 12:18:56 pm »

In regards to the steam update vid, any plans to change how the ramp is displayed at the tunnel entrance? :s

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 23, 2020, 07:46:58 am »

In regards to the steam update vid, any plans to change how the ramp is displayed at the tunnel entrance? :s

Designate the ramp for removal, duhh <3

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: September 23, 2020, 08:34:35 am »

Won't really help with potential confusion for new players though before they figure out that "fix". And it really does throw off the entire z-level perspective of ones initial tunnels if one goes with that initial digging approach, which is a fairly common one I'd say.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:48:51 am by Manveru Taurënér »

Dishmab

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 23, 2020, 11:15:55 am »

I think potential new players will have bigger problems on their hands. that being said, i also notice the opening to the fort looks kinda weird. I already notice that my game play style will change because of the visuals. This just might be another example of that. might have to figure out how to carve into the hillside in a way that is more pleasing to the eye.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 23, 2020, 11:42:43 am »

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread for interface suggestions, but a couple occurred to me after seeing the Autumn Dev Update:

When designating, marking zones, etc, a grid pops up and overlays the terrain. I would suggest having a larger grid as well. So for example, a red grid for every 10 tiles, and then the gold grid elsewhere.

Also, whenever you are designating something, I think it would be useful to have a small indicator in a corner somewhere that shows you the X by Y size of the area you're currently dragging out. Instead of counting tiles, especially over long distances, have the game count them for you!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2158 on: September 23, 2020, 12:51:47 pm »

I did forward the idea, thanks Rekov. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 23, 2020, 04:59:27 pm »

Won't really help with potential confusion for new players though before they figure out that "fix". And it really does throw off the entire z-level perspective of ones initial tunnels if one goes with that initial digging approach, which is a fairly common one I'd say.

Well, logically, as long as you havent removed the ramp in front of your entrance, it should be visually displayed as a fully functional ramp.
With graphics, that ramp becomes way more visible, i get it, its not nearly as distracting in ASCII.
But, why would you have a ramp in front of your doorway?

I always remove ramps in front of my entrance, when playing with ascii. It just makes sense you know.
I Also did it the first time i played DF.

I dont think new players Will be confused.
To dig an entrance in the first place, they have to enter the same menu that happens to contain the 'remove ramp function', which i believe is listed closely underneath the 'dig' option. So i think its pretty hard to miss out on that.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 178